Dylan Larkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Coming from another board in peace---I have to ask: how did Dylan Larkin fall to where he fell in the draft (did it have to do with the fact that he was a collegiate instead of a CHL player)? His maturity is unreal beyond his years...and that isn't something you can necessarily teach. At this point, I see the Calder as his to lose.

Coming into the draft he was labeled as a good 2way center, but his offense was lacking. People projected him has a good 3C or maybe a 2C if he could pick up his offense a bit.

He did.

His offense exploded during his freshman year at Michigan. The 2015 WJC put him on peoples radar because he was USAs best player.

He killed it in Michigan (he had equivelant numbers to Toew's sophomore season in the NCAA), killed in in GR (he was GRs best player in the conference finals), and is now killing it in Detroit.

Maybe part of the reason his offense was limited coming into the draft was because he was playing behind Eichel on the national development team. He didn't get the powerplay opportunities or the quality linemates that Eichel had.

tl;dr - he broke out offensively in Michigan

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah. I hated drafting Larkin. He was labeled as a responsible defensive center who's development put him as a 3C high end 2C. But the projection was way off and his offense came alive. He's still not the creative dangle give guys type but his vision and understanding allow him to produce. He's very similar to Toews.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Another thing is, it's scary how good and effective he is despite totally being a kid still. Eventually he is going to be hard on the puck, and not just fall over all the time. He's going to give defenders hell when he matures more physically.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Another thing is, it's scary how good and effective he is despite totally being a kid still. Eventually he is going to be hard on the puck, and not just fall over all the time. He's going to give defenders hell when he matures more physically.

I have little doubt he can improve his puck skills as well. He has the drive and intelligence to make it happen and there really aren't two better tutors than Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
To me our PK is also not as good as it could be because we don't play our best forwards there. For various reasons, obviously.

Best ranked teams and some of their regular pk forwards:
ANA: Kesler, Silfverberg
NYI: Nielsen, Kulemin
STL: Backes, Steen
MTL: Plekanec, Pacioretty

Goaltending helps, too..

Anyway, guys who can do a lot more than skate and dump the puck away there. Every team uses grinders to fill up the minutes but few of the best ones use them exlusively like we do. Z & D will never PK again(maybe in a cup moment), but Larkin could make a difference down the line.

We have yet to score a SH goal, halfway through the season.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009

We can barely score goals when we have more players on the ice than the other team. Expecting us to score with less players is a bit much.

Still, I think Larkin on the PK would be good.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

How many chances have they had though? I feel like there have been several attempts from Helm that were stop because it was Darren Helm.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Larkin was is a PK monster. Remember the WJC's?

All you need to see is watch his every shift he's gonna be like a datsyuk puck hound

I mean he already gave a scare to the devil player last game stood there for like 15-20 seconds Larkin barely missed it and would have got a goal or a great scoring chance

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Well. We have helm the only one with potential cause he's helm. Anderson sucks and glendenning can barely score when it's not a pk when your job is to score

I don't really know who else is on there. Miller can't score. And is the other one abdelkader? That one is hard to explain

Danny d might be the only dfenceman on the pk that can score. I don't really pay attention to the d pairings for pk

Actual Thought*

Yeah true. How could I be so stupid? We will never win a series with Blashill as our coach.

Not if they can't score more than they give up even though they are trying to play an offence first system. Offence first teams never win in the playoffs. Offence first teams that don't score? Well that is a new kind of no chance.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Not if they can't score more than they give up even though they are trying to play an offence first system. Offence first teams never win in the playoffs. Offence first teams that don't score? Well that is a new kind of no chance.

it ain't offense first system. 4th best in shot attempts against 5on5. 8th worst in shot attempts for. both SC finalists last season were more offense first. only few teams in the league trade shot attempts and chances less than the wings.

their shots against numbers are fairly high but that's because, just like last season, they don't block a lot of shots.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Sign Trevor immediately...he did so well haha!

Played him in beer league, guy is pretty damn poised with the puck all things considered.

Doesn't play in a high league and clearly doesn't play at 100% effort, but he is a smart guy out there.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Larkin is T-14 in even strength points and T-8 in even strength goals. Just 2 of his points have come on the PP. Imagine if/when the kid gets the hang of the man advantage...

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
You know, Trevor Thompson is actually pretty good. Good-looking shot and speed. I wonder how long he's played hockey.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
:).
You know, Trevor Thompson is actually pretty good. Good-looking shot and speed. I wonder how long he's played hockey.

I was thinking the same thing. I think he surprised Larkin how fast he was. Trevor's got some wheels. Looked like his endurance needs some work though.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
That Trevor and datsyuk one was better. That one just looked like you wanted to be there

Datsyuk must be amazing to meet or play with

Actual Thought*

it ain't offense first system. 4th best in shot attempts against 5on5. 8th worst in shot attempts for. both SC finalists last season were more offense first. only few teams in the league trade shot attempts and chances less than the wings.

their shots against numbers are fairly high but that's because, just like last season, they don't block a lot of shots.
It is intended to be but it isn't effective at all in that regard. Chicago's system isn't offence first. They play very tight, structured, and disciplined team D and pounce on mistakes with ferocity.
The Wings have a lot of shots against because they have a poor transition game and get hemmed in their own zone very often. The poor transition game also leads to poor offence.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
It is intended to be but it isn't effective at all in that regard. Chicago's system isn't offence first. They play very tight, structured, and disciplined team D and pounce on mistakes with ferocity.
The Wings have a lot of shots against because they have a poor transition game and get hemmed in their own zone very often. The poor transition game also leads to poor offence.

they don't block shots. didn't last year either.

i thought his system was intended to be offense first but it certainly isn't. hawks arenät offense first but they are more O-first than the wings.

teams that have poor transition game (wings do) AND get hemmed into their own zone lot give up a lot of shot attempts too. wings give up one of the fewest in the league.

it's probably not the case anymore but at the end of november or something like that, wings were one of the best puck possession teams in the league in actual possession. per company that tracks it and a lot of stuff. posted the tweet/link here back then.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
they don't block shots. didn't last year either.

i thought his system was intended to be offense first but it certainly isn't. hawks arenät offense first but they are more O-first than the wings.

teams that have poor transition game (wings do) AND get hemmed into their own zone lot give up a lot of shot attempts too. wings give up one of the fewest in the league.

it's probably not the case anymore but at the end of november or something like that, wings were one of the best puck possession teams in the league in actual possession. per company that tracks it and a lot of stuff. posted the tweet/link here back then.

Wings are currently 11th best in CF% at 5v5.

Also 4th best at suppressing shot attempts against (CA/60).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad