Dylan Larkin looks good so far

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
If we can land someone as good or better than him in the near future, that would set us up nicely down the middle with Rasmussen coming up as well.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
He's making everyone around him better, a sign of a player you can build a team around. I hope he continues growing as a player and a person.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
What do you guys see Larkin as at his peak?

It's amazing that he's currently our best player and is on pace for 69 points on a terrible team that has trouble scoring.

2 assists away from being in the top 10 among forwards in assists. Prior to this season, who would have thought that was even remotely possible?

All while PLAYING CENTER, being defensively responsible, and winning > 50% of his face-offs.

The points surprise me less than how many are assists. The thing I would have found least likely is being north of 50% on draws.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The points surprise me less than how many are assists. The thing I would have found least likely is being north of 50% on draws.

Well the change in rules helped Larkin. He has always tried to win draws the way the rules are now. Nielsen for instance must have been one of the better guys in the league at cheating on draws and getting more physical during them.

Larkin shows flashes of pretty unreal hand-eye coordination. I think that is one of the things we underrate about him, he has a really good stick.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
im not sure what the hell has gotten into this kid but he's been making beautiful on the tape passes to the right players left and right all season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
im not sure what the hell has gotten into this kid but he's been making beautiful on the tape passes to the right players left and right all season.

He is a rink rat guy that works tirelessly. I.E. he is the mold of all of our superstar Captains for the last 30 years.

Larkin will work to get better everyday from now until he hangs them up. That is why his character wasn't lip service to the Red Wings and one of his biggest selling points.

He did this at the tail-end of last year and at the World Championships. I am not sure he can reach the same level of stardom as the greats that have come through. But it won't because of lack of effort, the guy continuously says he wants to be the best player in the world. Now I know realistically that just isn't going to happen, but I love that it is his goal for sure.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Work ethic and character aren't exactly the same thing, though. Kudos to the kid for honing his game, and from that standpoint he's making fantastic strides, but he still whines too much to the refs for my liking.

Not a huge impact on his overall benefit to the team, but an annoying character flaw (for me) nevertheless.

Reactions: TheMule93

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Work ethic and character aren't exactly the same thing, though. Kudos to the kid for honing his game, and from that standpoint he's making fantastic strides, but he still whines too much to the refs for my liking.

Not a huge impact on his overall benefit to the team, but an annoying character flaw (for me) nevertheless.

A generation of kids have been raised with Crosby as the face of the league. Unfortunately whining is going to be a part of what they find acceptable. :laugh:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

He's cut down his embellishment a ton, and I'm glad. That was my biggest criticism of him during his first two seasons.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

He's the youngest guy Wings fans have seen on a regular basis in a long time. A lot of that whining/embellishment will go away with maturity - it already has somewhat.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Reminiscing, I remember watching Larkin when he was a kid on the same youth team as my cousin out of Lakeland arena in the early 2000s. There were two standout players on that team, Larkin and my cousin. Even back then my aunt was saying Larkin would be a very special player someday. My cousin insists he has always been the more talented player and I don't doubt that, but one of the kids had his heart in the game and one didn't. I think everyone can guess which is which although my cuz is still half assing his way through a decent hockey career.

Also, some awesome NHL talent has spent their youths playing out of Lakeland arena. Pat Lafontaine, Mike Modano, and now Larkin. How many of you would ever guess Mike Modano was actually cut from a youth team out of lakeland when he was a kid because at the time he was simply kind of bad at hockey. He eventually found his way on to the team my grandfather coached, and although he was nothing special on that team either he sure as hell found his stride and flourished at some point.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
There was a picture of teenage Modano surrounded by a gazillion trophies at Lakeland Arena in an archive of a newspaper I worked at.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
The team pictures and end of the season stats are still around my grandparents place somewhere if I wanted to really dig, but I would guess he was somewhere closer to 8-11 years old at the time.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
There was a picture of teenage Modano surrounded by a gazillion trophies at Lakeland Arena in an archive of a newspaper I worked at.
Mike Modano is from my hometown of Westland he lived down the street from my best friend and when i would go over to my friends house we would watch Mike shot the puck at his Mom Karen who was playing goalie it was funny to watch him back then.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I remember covering a Milford High School hockey game at Lakeland arena in 2001 or 2002. Waiting for the game, there were all these little kids playing, flying around the ice a zillion miles an hour, forward and backward.
I wonder if Larkin was in that group.
A couple of those kids were unbelievable.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...Also, some awesome NHL talent has spent their youths playing out of Lakeland arena. Pat Lafontaine, Mike Modano, and now Larkin. How many of you would ever guess Mike Modano was actually cut from a youth team out of lakeland when he was a kid because at the time he was simply kind of bad at hockey. He eventually found his way on to the team my grandfather coached, and although he was nothing special on that team either he sure as hell found his stride and flourished at some point.

Didn't know that about Modano, thanks. I played my youth hockey out of Lakeland (the Hawks) and have a touch of pride sharing where Larkin began his career. Lafontaine was THE local hero when I was coming up. IMO the "lakes area" always produced decent players because of the hundreds of frozen lakes and ponds scattered throughout the region.

Connor Hellebuyck didn't play at Lakeland arena (that I know of) but Commerce is only a few miles away.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
15 assists in 80 games last season.
28 assists in 40 games so far this season.

lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->