Dylan Larkin looks good so far

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...Last year he seemed a bit outmatched, but this year I am very happy with what I have seen from him so far.

I'd say last night was an example that Larkin is still going to be outmatched against most teams top 6. He, Mantha, and AA are doing well though. Considering they could all have been complete busts we should be overjoyed. It's what most people hoped/expected, that those three could gain strength and take the reigns so to speak. Their ice-time vs. Ottawa was up there with Z's line- hopefully even with the mistakes Blashill continues to trust that line and feed them minutes.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
nice that larkin has points in 11 of 15 games this season. consistency. would like to see a few more goals though. I think they'll come.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Larkin leading the team in CF% and GF%

He's also shooting at like 5.3% right now... half of his career average. His goal scoring is going to go up a bit this season, while his assists will go down. I think that will cancel each other out in terms of total production. His PDO is slightly high right now (meaning hes getting a bit lucky) at 103.4%. At his current PDO he's on pace for 72 points. Lets assume his PDO regresses to around 100% (103.4 * 0.967 = 100) which is average, normalizing his point totals to that would mean he ends up with 70 points (72*0.967). I doubt this happens and I probably used these stats wrong because I don't understand shit and theres probably like 10 different enigmatic stats that are more useful for predicting points, i'm going to say he ends up with 55-60 points.

league average on ice SV% is around 91%. League average on ice SH% is about 9% totaling to 100%. PDO is simply adding those two together. Looking closer, only Mantha's On ice SH% is above league average, meaning that only his production would really be affected by high luck/PDO, but its only 1% above league average so its probably irrelevant. But my eye test tells me Mantha has been slightly unlucky... hes created so much more than pretty much anyone else on our team, no way should he be under a PPG right now. I even contacted NHL.com via email today telling them to give Frk's goal to Mantha because he pushed it in with his stick touching Tanev's stick. Mantha was directly responsible for the goal its a travesty it wasn't awarded to him and I will make sure I will right this wrongdoing.

I conclude that stats are stupid, and Larkin is having a good year too

Last edited:
Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Larkin leading the team in CF% and GF%

He's also shooting at like 5.3% right now... half of his career average. His goal scoring is going to go up a bit this season, while his assists will go down. I think that will cancel each other out in terms of total production. His PDO is slightly high right now (meaning hes getting a bit lucky) at 103.4%. At his current PDO he's on pace for 72 points. Lets assume his PDO regresses to around 100% (103.4 * 0.967 = 100) which is average, normalizing his point totals to that would mean he ends up with 70 points (72*0.967). I doubt this happens and I probably used these stats wrong because I don't understand **** and theres probably like 10 different enigmatic stats that are more useful for predicting points, i'm going to say he ends up with 55-60 points.

league average on ice SV% is around 91%. League average on ice SH% is about 9% totaling to 100%. PDO is simply adding those two together. Looking closer, only Mantha's On ice SH% is above league average, meaning that only his production would really be affected by high luck/PDO, but its only 1% above league average so its probably irrelevant. But my eye test tells me Mantha has been slightly unlucky... hes created so much more than pretty much anyone else on our team, no way should he be under a PPG right now. I even contacted NHL.com via email today telling them to give Frk's goal to Mantha because he pushed it in with his stick touching Tanev's stick. Mantha was directly responsible for the goal its a travesty it wasn't awarded to him and I will make sure I will right this wrongdoing.

I conclude that stats are stupid, and Larkin is having a good year too

While I also doubt he'll put up 70 points, his high PDO is not because of his oiSH% which would affect his production, it's rather a result of high oiSV% which won' affect his production.

And when Mantha's sh% drops off Larkins should go up so they should be able to maintain their production. But as we all know slumps happen, so I doubt they hit 70 points, to expect 60 points seem a it optimistic aswell but I'm a optimistic person so hopefully they both hit 60.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
He clearly put in some work from down in the dungeon over the summer. Larkin not only won the faceoff but got to the loose puck to feed it to Abby. So 2 good things in that sequence.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
While I also doubt he'll put up 70 points, his high PDO is not because of his oiSH% which would affect his production, it's rather a result of high oiSV% which won' affect his production.

And when Mantha's sh% drops off Larkins should go up so they should be able to maintain their production. But as we all know slumps happen, so I doubt they hit 70 points, to expect 60 points seem a it optimistic aswell but I'm a optimistic person so hopefully they both hit 60.

If he cracks 60 points I will be ecstatic.

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
I don't think 60 points is insanely optimistic. With the start he's had I'm hoping he at least hits 50.

I am just happy that it looks like he can be a legit NHL center. I wasn't sure his first couple years.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
15 assists in 19 games. he had 15 all of last season
I think I'm most impressed with his playmaking skills this year. And he is a puck hound. I really think he's learning to use his speed much better now.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
this really is the best case scenario for the wings so far this season. young guys all playing well and developing, but the team is still bad enough to potentially get a really high draft pick. I know people think they are winning too much or whatever but before the win last night they were 7th worst in the NHL in points so they are still pretty bad.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
this really is the best case scenario for the wings so far this season. young guys all playing well and developing, but the team is still bad enough to potentially get a really high draft pick. I know people think they are winning too much or whatever but before the win last night they were 7th worst in the NHL in points so they are still pretty bad.

The wings could easily fall last or challenge for a playoff spot. Young kids playing well and good goaltending has people worried

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If Jimmy, Larkin and Mantha keep playing like this, playoffs or not, we will at least get some exciting hockey and a decently competitive team.

Reactions: golffuul

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

Yeah at this point it's difficult to judge. 20 teams are within 6 points of each other and it could be that close down to the wire for a PO spot. I'm concerned less about our standing than last year. Things will shake out how they will, just want to enjoy the season.

I'm really happy for Larkin. Last season was looking a little scary with how out of place he was. TZE and others who said he would have a great summer and return in a big way were so right. He, Mantha, and AA are not playing like NHL passengers. If they're already showing flashes against other #1 players that is amazing for the future.

I gotta say I'm believing a little more in the idea of "winning culture". The Wings had decades of stability that was dynastic. You see the former players they kept near the organization helping guide the ship. It's just the Red Wings way. That strength being passed on to Larkin, Rasmussen, etc. is crucial.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
From the games I've seen it really looks like he has slowed down the play more which has definitely improved his playmaking. When he slows the game down it allows his teammates to follow better and has given him more time to make decisions. It should probably help him stay more consistent since, I'm sure he'll have more gas in the tank now aswell.

His S% is pretty low so the goals will start to come, still thinks he'll score atleast 20 this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjtm777

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I love how they are using him on zone entries for the pp this season. He’s killing it.

Reactions: Ezekial

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
One of the things I really liked from the miked up segment is he talks a lot to his teammates. Him yelling over to Green over and over what he wants to do on the next draw was interesting.

I really saw an uptick in his game at the tail-end of last year but especially at the World Championships. It is nice to see that carry over and him take even more ownership and leadership in the team this year. He and Mantha look like big time fixtures for this team, hopefully they can keep adjusting as the league adjusts to them, Larkin has shown this adjustment and I think Mantha will as well.

A huge benefit here to is Larkin can give AA a lot of advice on when to use and not use his speed.

The goal against Buffalo was an absolute gem, glad he is riding out contact more this year.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
Assuming he represents us in the all star game, I cant wait to see him have a go at the speed record again - the lap around the rink

That means he has to beat what will presumably be McDavid in the skater competition where they race one opponent around come cones, because only the fastest gets to try the lap. Larkin actually beet McDavid's time pretty easily when he did it.

Here was Larkin's run - his time was 12.894 seconds. Nobody else from either year reached sub 13 seconds!!

And here was McDavid's run of 13.020 seconds

Reactions: mantha39

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
Dominant force right now. So sad to see his effort wasted last night.

Game in an game out he's leading our Offense. He's always the guy making zone entries, cycling the puck, creating defensive turnovers to break us out of our zone, etc. His development has shocked me and has been glorious to watch. I'm still not sold on his skill but he can definitely be an effective top 6 200ft center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad