Dylan Larkin looks good so far

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
That would be sweet if we can get him that low, But it wouldn't shock me either if he comes in closer to $7 million per.
He's not gonna have close to the comparables to get 7 million. At absolute most he'll get Monahan or MacKinnon money due to inflation. 5.5 is probably not gonna happen either, but I'd be pretty surprised to see him get any more than 6.

Reactions: Henkka

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I've been figuring 8 x $6.5M for awhile now. Just don't see it being any less than $6M per if they lock him up long term.

If Holland could somehow lock him into 8 x $5.5M that might just do a little bit to recover the horrible contracts he's signed recently. Larkin seems on pace to be an elite 2C, but he's shown flashes that he could develop into more.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
last night was one of his most dangerous offensive nights in a while, surprised he didnt have a point or two

and yeah he needs to work on his shooting, he is not a scoring threat at all

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
last night was one of his most dangerous offensive nights in a while, surprised he didnt have a point or two

and yeah he needs to work on his shooting, he is not a scoring threat at all

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Dont know where I saw it now, but a graphic showed that hes one of the best in the league (top 20ish) at controlled zone entries. Hes really good at carrying the puck through the neutral zone and setting up in the offensive end. Eye test confirms it as well

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Dont know where I saw it now, but a graphic showed that hes one of the best in the league (top 20ish) at controlled zone entries. Hes really good at carrying the puck through the neutral zone and setting up in the offensive end. Eye test confirms it as well

He's really good at it. Probably because d men have to respect his speed as much as they do. Plus now he gains the zone and then slows it down and waits for his teammates. He used to just rush in and shoot a shot from a bad angle.

Reactions: newfy

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He's really good at it. Probably because d men have to respect his speed as much as they do. Plus now he gains the zone and then slows it down and waits for his teammates. He used to just rush in and shoot a shot from a bad angle.

Yeah I meant to say that actually. Its why hes putting up a lot of assists too, the D have to back off a bit to respect his speed but now hes slowing the game down and making them pay for it. Hes definitely developed in that sense because like you said he used to just go to the net with it full speed. Probably also why his goals are down too

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
this makes sense. how he plays is developing.

He does need to work on his wrist shot. If that becomes better, he will become an even more deadly passer, as people have to fear his shot and commit to him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
this makes sense. how he plays is developing.

He does need to work on his wrist shot. If that becomes better, he will become an even more deadly passer, as people have to fear his shot and commit to him.

Seems like the type that could come back next season with a really good shot because he works so hard. Every article you read about him thats the number one thing that gets talked about (maybe his speed too). He needs to spend some time in the dungeon this summer.

Also that whole working hard thing is also why the wings look at character in a draft. Theyre not looking for guys who block shots, theyre looking for guys who have talent but will also work to improve that talent. He was a great pick for where he was drafted, but imagine if Mantha had Larkins work ethic and character? He would've been a top 5 or 10 pick in that draft.

Reactions: Red Stanley

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Seems like the type that could come back next season with a really good shot because he works so hard. Every article you read about him thats the number one thing that gets talked about (maybe his speed too). He needs to spend some time in the dungeon this summer.

Also that whole working hard thing is also why the wings look at character in a draft. Theyre not looking for guys who block shots, theyre looking for guys who have talent but will also work to improve that talent. He was a great pick for where he was drafted, but imagine if Mantha had Larkins work ethic and character? He would've been a top 5 or 10 pick in that draft.

this is exactly why they say they like "character".

Some people will say they should choose skill over work ethic and character... but i am sure Yakupov has more skill than anyone, and relatively no work ethic. the "character" thing also is hard to measure. So who knows in the end.

But if they say they like Rasmussen's Character, maybe it really means they see him as a player who will work hard to be the best he can be. Of course we will always keep our eye on Vilardi, to see if we did well or f'ed up...

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada

Some people will say they should choose skill over work ethic and character... but i am sure Yakupov has more skill than anyone, and relatively no work ethic. the "character" thing also is hard to measure. So who knows in the end.

But if they say they like Rasmussen's Character, maybe it really means they see him as a player who will work hard to be the best he can be. Of course we will always keep our eye on Vilardi, to see if we did well or f'ed up...
Yakupov has no shortage of work ethic -he works his butt off every shift. His issue is a lack of hockey IQ; he is lost on the ice

Reactions: Reddwit

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Yeah, but honestly Larkin has been amazing in this regard. Every time he has needed to get better at something, he has. Every time he has hit a wall, he's pushed through it. Other guys have had good character and not been able to do it.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
You guys are so right about about Dylan's shot, he's got to work on that. I think his stick is too long. Has to wind up to get flex and by that time 9/10 of his shots are deflected. He picked up the strange habit (I think from Z) of shooting from behind the goal line, that doesn't work often. After many games now, even with chances up close, I've realized Larkin just isn't a natural goalscorer.

His skating with the puck though... world class. May be best in the world up there with McDavid.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
You guys are so right about about Dylan's shot, he's got to work on that. I think his stick is too long. Has to wind up to get flex and by that time 9/10 of his shots are deflected. He picked up the strange habit (I think from Z) of shooting from behind the goal line, that doesn't work often. After many games now, even with chances up close, I've realized Larkin just isn't a natural goalscorer.

His skating with the puck though... world class. May be best in the world up there with McDavid.

I agree with this. He has the puck so far out in front of him so by the time he wants to shoot it takes too long to get the shot off, or it's just a weak shot if he shoots it while the puck is so far out.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Larkin is a weird player.
3 years into his career and he's a mystery.

Season 1 - spends 4 1/2 months almost dominating the NHL. Looks like a speedy sniper. Goes ice cold the rest of the way. 52 games - 18-20-38 +26, 12.9 shooting percentage
Has never looked anything like that first-half Larkin ever since.
Season 2 - barely belonged in the NHL for the first 60 games - 12-7-19 -18
Season 3 - Kind of like the first year, but not so dramatic, and with assists instead of goals.
First 24 - 4-17-21 -1
Second 24 - 4-13-17 -7
Third 23 - 1-11-12 -6

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
How do larkins even strength production compare to his pp production throughout the season?

Our pp was red hot thru October and November, but then has been completely terrible ever since

I wonder how strongly that correlates with larkins overall production

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Yeah, but honestly Larkin has been amazing in this regard. Every time he has needed to get better at something, he has. Every time he has hit a wall, he's pushed through it. Other guys have had good character and not been able to do it.

Well said. I have been following Larkin for a long time, his work ethic is insane. In Ann Arbor he was regularly the last off the ice and that has not changed in Detroit. TZE has said from the get go that Larkin is being groomed for the C, and for good reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad