Dying Light 2: Stay Human

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Didn't see a thread for this, surprisingly. Unless I missed it of course but I searched too

Came out a couple of days ago, and I'm absolutely loving it so far.

Not sure how far I am into it, but I've put in manyyy hours this weekend and am having a blast. Some bugs sure, but that's expected for a game this size. Seems thats where most of the complaints lie atm. Great story and of course fun gameplay so far. Definitely recommend if you liked the first one and like horror games, cause they've upped the horror aspect for sure in this one. Some reallyyy intense missions lol

Reactions: GreytWun

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Wasn't going to buy it initially but it seems like that Day 1 patch they begged people to wait for seemed to actually fix most of the really problematic bugs.

Gameplay solid while the story seems like it's pretty shitty. Not that it means much since Dying Light 1 wasn't winning any awards for good narrative and that still ended up being pretty fun.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

RTX is basically a "subtle" generation leap. When you go back and look at games with old school shadows and Ambient Occlusion it looks so primitive. So much more flat.

Flatter shading might actually be a preferable stylistic choice but it's cool to see hardware be able to get over that hurdle and add that extra step of accuracy

Reactions: Osprey

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Seems to be getting a ton of high praise. I think I'll pick up the first game for Switch and then beat that. Grab the second for PS5 lateron.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Wasn't going to buy it initially but it seems like that Day 1 patch they begged people to wait for seemed to actually fix most of the really problematic bugs.

Gameplay solid while the story seems like it's pretty shitty. Not that it means much since Dying Light 1 wasn't winning any awards for good narrative and that still ended up being pretty fun.
It's not the story but the pace. The story is told at a really slow pace and the intro sections last for a good 1/3 of the game.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Finished it. Of all the games I've played, it was certainly one of them.

Story was horrendous. First half of it drags on forever and then the second half inexplicably ramps up in pace where it feels like one giant exposition dump. Most of the characters are unlikable turds sans Hakon and the ending is also a bunch of nonsensical drivel. Also the constant do thing -> cutscene -> do thing again -> cutscene 20 seconds later gets really old by the end.

Gameplay is also pretty jank. For a game that was in development for 7 years it sure as hell doesn't feel polished. Parkouring on smaller surfaces and climbing on stuff feels awkward, the hang glider completely kills the flow because it's basically crammed down your throat after you get it. What's the point of parkouring when I spend half of my time slowly floating through the air? Mindboggling decision to include it. And then a bunch of the other mechanics (the immunity thing, howlers] are rendered irrelevant just by progressing through the game.

It honestly feels like this game lost its sense of direction about halfway through the development. A lot of the core from the original dying light is there and then they decided to throw a bunch of crap on top of it in the name of innovation.

6/10 and its lucky I didn't dock it another point for what was probably the absolute worst boss fight I've seen in a game in a while (assuming the boss doesn't get itself stuck in the environment twice like it did with me)

Last edited:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Finished it. Of all the games I've played, it was certainly one of them.

Story was horrendous. First half of it drags on forever and then the second half inexplicably ramps up in pace where it feels like one giant exposition dump. Most of the characters are unlikable turds sans Hakon and the ending is also a bunch of nonsensical drivel. Also the constant do thing -> cutscene -> do thing again -> cutscene 20 seconds later gets really old by the end.

Gameplay is also pretty jank. For a game that was in development for 7 years it sure as hell doesn't feel polished. Parkouring on smaller surfaces and climbing on stuff feels awkward, the hang glider completely kills the flow because it's basically crammed down your throat after you get it. What's the point of parkouring when I spend half of my time slowly floating through the air? Mindboggling decision to include it. And then a bunch of the other mechanics (the immunity thing, howlers] are rendered irrelevant just by progressing through the game.

It honestly feels like this game lost its sense of direction about halfway through the development. A lot of the core from the original dying light is there and then they decided to throw a bunch of crap on top of it in the name of innovation.

6/10 and its lucky I didn't dock it another point for what was probably the absolute worst boss fight I've seen in a game in a while (assuming the boss doesn't get itself stuck in the environment twice like it did with me)
I was told the game was 500 hours! :sarcasm:

How long did it take, for real, though? Probably will wait for a sale on it.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

I would say about 30 hours total. Played it with a friend and did a bunch of the side stuff but then skipped another chunk in the second half when it became obvious the rewards weren't worth a damn.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario

There is definitely a lot of content. Every time I go to do a mission 10 things pop up on my screen, different colours so I get distracted. At the end I never even got to my initial mission I wanted to do lol

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The question you have to ask yourself is if all those little dots on your map are actually worth doing?

The GRE related stuff I would say is since that's where a majority of the inhibitors are and each facility usually gives enough for you to upgrade your health/stamina.

The structure stuff? (Water towers/windmills/etc) depends. Metro stations are super useful since reclaiming them gives you fast travel points and the rest result in relatively impractical upgrades for handing over facilities to the survivors/peacekpeers

Back to the gameplay for a second: it annoys me that Mirror's Edge is still the standard for parkour gameplay. Hie has anyone not been able to duplicate the smoothness of that game despite it being almost 15 years old?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I just finished it last night as well.

Absolutely loved it, and think I got the best ending out of all of em which was cool. Don't really understand the hate for the story, I didn't have many problems with it it was about what I expected and whats typical for an open world game and I'm happy with that. Gameplay was fun as expected, although it's much better once you unlock a bunch of the skills, so I'm excited for the New Game+ mode eventually.

I knew I'd like this game though, as it's style is my favorite type of open world game really. Same with Cyberpunk, which I also really loved.

Would probably give this one an 8/10. Really fun game. Enjoyed it more than the 1st Dying Light I'd say

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
Is it just me or does Aiden look like Schmidt from New Girl?

Anyways I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. It would be even better if I could play with my buddies without being disconnected.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Not terribly far in, thru the water tower mission, enjoying it but running into a fair bit of bugs/glitches where I can't talk to someone or move forward due to "enemies nearby" when zombies are nowhere to be found. had to close out and restart the game like 3 times already, haven't lost any progress but it's a pain in the ass and kills the flow

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Is this game equal or better than the first Dying Light?

After finishing the sequel I think I would lean a little to the original, haven't played it since it came out so maybe I'm just remembering with rose colored glasses, but I feel like the story was a bit more interesting, though DL2 is worth a play through

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Not terribly far in, thru the water tower mission, enjoying it but running into a fair bit of bugs/glitches where I can't talk to someone or move forward due to "enemies nearby" when zombies are nowhere to be found. had to close out and restart the game like 3 times already, haven't lost any progress but it's a pain in the ass and kills the flow
I've stopped playing it for the moment for this very reason. I played it at launch and every game has bugs the developer could have never envisioned. From what I've been reading it's gotten better so I'm going to get back into it after I finish HFW.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I've stopped playing it for the moment for this very reason. I played it at launch and every game has bugs the developer could have never envisioned. From what I've been reading it's gotten better so I'm going to get back into it after I finish HFW.

It pretty much continued thru to the end for me, had to reload on the final mission, it seems like if you try to hit and run with enemies or go to higher ground sometimes an enemy will disappear from the screen but they game will still think he's there, happened to me with one of the big mutant zombies, I went into the next room to try to hit him with some arrows and he vanished, though his life bar was still on the screen and you can hear it grunting/roaring and slamming stuff, even after I had left the area and was several blocks away

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
It pretty much continued thru to the end for me, had to reload on the final mission, it seems like if you try to hit and run with enemies or go to higher ground sometimes an enemy will disappear from the screen but they game will still think he's there, happened to me with one of the big mutant zombies, I went into the next room to try to hit him with some arrows and he vanished, though his life bar was still on the screen and you can hear it grunting/roaring and slamming stuff, even after I had left the area and was several blocks away
I think it's time to start playing again. This is with Today's patch.

::edit::

They added a FOV slider for Next Gen Consoles!!!!

Last edited:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I’m really impressed by the communication from launch to today. They’re really going all out to make sure everyone has a great game playing experience.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5