Dustin Slade Leaves Giants

patsfan29

Jul 30, 2006
Regina
http://www.vancouvergiants.com/home.html
The Vancouver Giants have announced goaltender DUSTIN SLADE has decided to leave the hockey club. The 20 year-old has made the decision to pursue opportunities in pro hockey.

"Dustin helped our hockey club achieve a great amount of success last year," says Giants General Manager Scott Bonner. "We wish him the best of luck in his future in pro hockey."

Slade is into his final season in the WHL. Through 12 games this year, he has posted a record of 9-1-1-1 and is second overall in the league in goals against average (1.57) and save percentage (92.1%). He is also 2nd overall in WHL career regular season shut-outs (20).

...wow:shakehead

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/story.html?id=b89387e2-9f0f-4a13-8e90-f5e63c9f1fce
Steve Ewen, Vancouver Province
Published: Monday, November 20, 2006
Vancouver Giants goaltender Dustin Slade quit the team on Monday with hopes of landing a job in the East Coast Hockey League.

Slade, 20, said he had tired of splitting games this season with last year’s backup, Tyson Sexsmith.

"It’s easily the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make in my hockey career, but I need to play this year," Slade said.

Slade set a WHL record with 17 shutouts last season while leading the Giants to the WHL championship and a Memorial Cup berth.

Head coach Don Hay decided to platoon the goalies this year because he wants Sexsmith, Vancouver’s first-round pick (14th overall) in the 2004 bantam draft, to be ready for full-time duty next season.

Each goalie has played in 12 games this year, with Slade posting a 1.57 goals-against average to Sexsmith’s 1.79, and a .921 save percentage to Sexsmith’s .918.

Last edited:

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
I would assume he just thought the competition there wasn't good enough. Look for him in the AHL or ECHL soon.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
horrible move.

He is going to be guaranteed a shot in the memorial cup. Now he will try and make some ECHL team.

:shakehead

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Great news for the rest of the Dub......no chance that sexsmith is as good right now as slade......killer blow for the giants going to the mem cup as host with a 17 yo.
Personally, I'd have played Sexsmith over Slade if the playoffs were to start tomorrow anyways. Slade proved nothing when it boiled down to standing on his head for his team at the Memorial Cup, and Sexsmith has been the better of the two goaltenders all year.

If we can bring in a 19 y/o goaltender with experience to help mentor Sexsmith along, or heck even just bring Tartaglione back, I think we'll have great success with Sexsmith this year and in the future.

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
A bizzarre decision by Slade at the least. Slade was one of the two untouchable overagers out of the three that are allowed. Once the over age decision was made and Scharff was released (keeping Lamb), it also settled the backup goalie situation with Tartaglione traded to the Pats. Now with Slade leaving we lost a competent goalie in Tartaglione, a team and fan favorite in Scharff, and are left looking for another #1 goalie and filling an overage spot. While Sexsmith has been very solid in net to date I would hate to pin mem cup hopes on him alone.

Something stinks here and neither side is talking. Unbelievable that Slade would leave to play pro with no offers from any team. From all accounts, the players were shocked to hear the news as it came about before a practice as the team was leaving for a road trip.

Weird stuff.

patsfan29

Jul 30, 2006
Regina
http://www.giantsbeat.com/

Dustin Slade: The other side of the story
Written by Shawn De Haan
Wednesday, 22 November 2006
The last few days for the Memorial Cup-bound Vancouver Giants have been interesting to say the least.

Two days ago netminder Dustin Slade abruptly left the team and announced he would pursue options in the professional ranks, most likely the East Coast Hockey League. A media frenzy followed and Slade was called a quitter; his teammates expressed disappointment in the 20-year-old's decision.

But Slade sees things differently and doesn't think the whole truth has come out yet, or that it ever will.

"There is always two sides to every story," said Slade. "If they wanted me to play, I would be on the bus still."

While he didn't want to go on record regarding the influences on his decision to move on, Slade seemed to indicate that maybe the decision wasn't 100 per cent his. His options now include signing as a free agent in the ECHL, United Hockey League, Central Hockey League or for a European-based team and he's not sure where he'll end up.

"I'll know more in a couple of days," said Slade, now back home in Penticton with his family.

Slade played for four teams in the WHL and finished his career with a record of 73-42-13 and a GAA of 2.21. Despite the sour ending to his Western Hockey League career, Slade has nothing but best wishes for the team.

"I wish everyone all the best," said Slade. "The fans have been unbelievable, thanks a lot for all of your support. It has meant a lot to me."

Jimmypop316

Jun 21, 2005
I guess the "Carey Price to Vancouver" rumors will restart.
Don't see this happening unless TC begins to float between 4th/5th place. They gave up a first round pick this year for Yellow Horn and are looking to make some noise in the playoffs.

They do have a damn good goalie to take Price's place though, so you never really know. More importantly what will Vancouver be willing to give up to get Price?

It will really only happen unless the Giants hold off until the deadline and a lot of other things fall into place..

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Positioning wise Sexsmith is on par with Slade already, and is a better goalie in the long run anyways. I dont mind this.

Slade has been through the pressure already, in the end its a step down in goal for the Giants........will Sexsmith get more opportunity now sure, will he choke when it matters now? who knows.......you already knew that slade could handle it and having sexsmith watch him and play the odd playoff game woulda been great for him.

If you are telling me that GAA and SV% is all him and not the team your full of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad