Dustin Penner's Calder chances?

ArchieIsGod

Mar 2, 2004
Based on the fact that CheckRaise is one of the biggest and most biased homers I've seen on these boards for any team.

Check his post history and you'll find some gems, like trying to argue that Raffi Torres is a star in the league.

But on topic, I don't think Penner has a chance at the calder. He simply isn't a big enough name among the prospects to garner attention over some of the other equally or more talented players coming in. Unfortunately for him, he'll either have to have an incredible year, or it'd have to be a different year with not nearly so much other talent waiting in the wings.

the calder isnt for rookies with ok years, whoever wins it will have to have an incredible year...no reason why it couldnt be him he has shown he can step up and play now he has to do that for a full season

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
the calder isnt for rookies with ok years, whoever wins it will have to have an incredible year...no reason why it couldnt be him he has shown he can step up and play now he has to do that for a full season

When I said "incredible" year, I meant that he'd have to explode for something like 100 points and lead rookies in scoring I meant an incredible year by any player's standards, let alone a rookie's. There would be a chance that if he played on Anaheim's top 2 lines and recorded 60-70 points in some years it might be good enough to win the Calder. Chris Drury won the Calder with a 44 point season. Daniel Alfredsson got it with 66 points, and there are more examples. Yes those were in the stifling defensive NHL, and no, I'm not trying to de-value the accomplishments of those players, but it goes to show that a year good enough to win the calder doesn't have to be an amazing, star-making year by the standards non-rookies.

Traktor*

Schremp will have 50 PP points alone this year. Hemsky on the side walls passing with Lupul waiting for the one time in the slot and Smyth/Mikhnov crashing the net getting rebounds. If the pass doesn't go to Lups it is going to up to #44 Schremp, who already would be in the top 10 in the NHL in Snipers. Schremp has an attitude of a winner. If Bret Hull was still in the NHL he would be calling Schremp and asking him pointers on his shot. Brule played like 7 games and got busted up by the Hammer. Nothing wrong with being cocky as long as you back it up and thats what Schremp does. He had 47P in 19 playoff games last year. Brule will get busted up again by Matt Greene if he doesn't keep his head up.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Schremp will have 50 PP points alone this year. Hemsky on the side walls passing with Lupul waiting for the one time in the slot and Smyth/Mikhnov crashing the net getting rebounds. If the pass doesn't go to Lups it is going to up to #44 Schremp, who already would be in the top 10 in the NHL in Snipers. Schremp has an attitude of a winner. If Bret Hull was still in the NHL he would be calling Schremp and asking him pointers on his shot. Brule played like 7 games and got busted up by the Hammer. Nothing wrong with being cocky as long as you back it up and thats what Schremp does. He had 47P in 19 playoff games last year. Brule will get busted up again by Matt Greene if he doesn't keep his head up.

Funny man.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC

Are you for real?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think his chances just improved a ton with Malkin not coming this season...

Malkin saga takes another turn
Agent: Ignore reports of new deal in Russia

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

By Robert Dvorchak, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Despite reports from Russia that Evgeni Malkin has reworked his contract to play another season in his homeland, his agent said Malkin still wants to play for the Penguins this season and talks are continuing to bring him here.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06220/711897-61.stm

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Why all of the love for Brule, and none for Schremp??? Let me get this straight, Brule will play on a line with Nash, and if Schremp makes the Oilers, who do you think that his linemates will be??? Likely at least 1 of Lupul,Hemsky,Torres,Smyth,and Pisani all are capable of 20+ goals. BTW-Keep your eyes open for Mikhnov, he'll be 24 with lots of RSL experience behind him. He could come out of no-where to surprise a lot of people. Usually the Calder is won by a Phenom, or an older rookie who came out on no-where.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Why all of the love for Brule, and none for Schremp??? Let me get this straight, Brule will play on a line with Nash, and if Schremp makes the Oilers, who do you think that his linemates will be??? Likely at least 1 of Lupul,Hemsky,Torres,Smyth,and Pisani all are capable of 20+ goals.

Brule will play with at least 2 of Modin, Zherdev, Nash, and Vyborny. They're more than capable of 20+ goals as well.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Brule will play with at least 2 of Modin, Zherdev, Nash, and Vyborny. They're more than capable of 20+ goals as well.

That's nice and all, but then why no love for Schremp??? Yeah Brule has a handfull of NHL games under his belt, but no-one gives Schremp even an afterthought for Calder candidate. The kid is a PP dynamo, and if he makes the team his point totals alone on the PP will be very impressive.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Look, everyone is just trying to pimp their own teams prospects.

It'll come down to one of...

O'Sullivan
Brule
Penner
Schremp
Kopitar

Traktor*

Brule played 7 games in the NHL and got injured.. big deal.. And if Brule is on your top 1 or 2 lines the jackets are in big trouble..

Randall Graves*

Why all of the love for Brule, and none for Schremp??? Let me get this straight, Brule will play on a line with Nash, and if Schremp makes the Oilers, who do you think that his linemates will be??? Likely at least 1 of Lupul,Hemsky,Torres,Smyth,and Pisani all are capable of 20+ goals. BTW-Keep your eyes open for Mikhnov, he'll be 24 with lots of RSL experience behind him. He could come out of no-where to surprise a lot of people. Usually the Calder is won by a Phenom, or an older rookie who came out on no-where.
Because Brule is better, that's why.

Hemsky is a gangsta

Hemsky is a gangsta
Jun 23, 2004
schremp probably won't even make the oilers this year....
if an oiler is going to win the calder it will be pouliot, smid, or mikhnov

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
One of Malkin's agents interviewed on Pittsburgh radio within the past hour gave it a 50/50 chance of Malkin coming to the Pens this year. They are exploring a 'couple of' loopholes to get him out of Russia. His desire is clear according to the interview. Also confirmed was that if he did not make it over he would be Pens' property until June of 2008. I am surprised at the assumptions in this thread that he definately will not be here. He may not, but those in the know give it 50/50 that he will.

Traktor*

Yeah....and Brett Hull could learn how to shoot from Schremp right? Don't be a goof and you will be taken (maybe) seriously around here.

I guess you shall All find out this year when #44 RS mans the point on the PP this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->