Dustin Penner's Calder chances?

Rattray

Sep 28, 2005
Vancouver, BC
www.sniperscup.com
His skating is not dreadful..he is actually pretty quick for his size, it's his first step acceleration that needs work.

That right there tells me he's slow. I've watched him before, very carefully mind you, and his skating needs alot of work.....

I'm sure he'll be a good player, but if he wants to become something special his skating needs to durastically improve.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
Simple physics means that 240 lb guys are rarely going to be explosive from a standing start. I haven't seen any problems with his agility or top end speed, however.

Rattray

Sep 28, 2005
Vancouver, BC
www.sniperscup.com
Simple physics means that 240 lb guys are rarely going to be explosive from a standing start.

Exactly, which means he's slower than your average player. I've seent the guy play, he's a slug.

Andreychuk couldnt skate out of a wet paper bag but he still went on to score 500 goals.....I'm not saying Penner sucks, I just think he needs alot of work in the skating department.

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
Not real good at all. Still think he will be a strong player but I bet there will be some better candidates. Sort of like Petr Prucha or Jeff Carter last year who did well but were nowhere in the running.

They were nowhere in the running because of Sid and AO (+ Lundqvist). That´s all. In every other year they´d have a real good shot for the calder, at least Prucha.

Please don´t start rating rookies of the next decade on the rookie season 05/06.

Penner plays on a/the top-line of a team that can easily be called a cup favorite. He will be 24 when the first puck drops which gives him some exprerience and he has a sensational AHL season + a really good NHL playoff performance under his belt. He also has almost proven he can score at the NHL level, that can not be said of much other Calder candidates (including Malkin).

I expect a (Rookie-)Ryder like season of Penner - 75P.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I didn't think much of him until I saw him in the playoffs, and he turned my opinion around. If he plays like that, he will have a nice chance on that 1st line. If.

Rattray

Sep 28, 2005
Vancouver, BC
www.sniperscup.com
I haven't seen any problems with his agility or top end speed, however.

Just went to NHL.com and watched his goals from this year. You're right, his top end speed doesnt seem to be a problem....however, I couldnt disagree with you more when it comes to agility....a boeing 747 has an easier time turning than this guy does. It's coming back to me.... thats what had stuck out like a sore thumb when I had been watching him this year. (mostly playoffs)

As for the guy prior, that said lots of his goals were nice shots, you're 100% wrong as well. Most of his goals were terrible, with all but 1 being a nice one off the rush.

sammyp

Dec 2, 2005
Laguna Niguel, CA
As for the guy prior, that said lots of his goals were nice shots, you're 100% wrong as well. Most of his goals were terrible, with all but 1 being a nice one off the rush.

You're being rediculous.

He scored 7 goals this season in the NHL (including playoffs). That's just a small sample size, and you can't gather too much of a conclusion of what type of game he plays by watching about 30 seconds of collective video. I can tell you that after watching him throughout the season with the Ducks and hearing reports of his games in Portland, he has a beautiful & quick wrister AND a *wickid hard*(in a Bostonian tone) slapper. He just needs to be a little more mean and he should become a dominant player.

Trust me man -- ask any Ducks fan and they will tell you he needs to step up his game in front of the net more than his shooting ability.

Oh and, how can any goal be "terrible"?

Randall Graves*

Just went to NHL.com and watched his goals from this year. You're right, his top end speed doesnt seem to be a problem....however, I couldnt disagree with you more when it comes to agility....a boeing 747 has an easier time turning than this guy does. It's coming back to me.... thats what had stuck out like a sore thumb when I had been watching him this year. (mostly playoffs)

i'm not sure his turning is bad, have you seen this guy work along the boards? he's turned the likes of Rob Blake and Chris Pronger inside out with his quick moves below the goal line.

GSK*

Thats how duck trade Lupul for Pronger. But i'h to admit Niedermayer and Pronger that gonna be sick...

With Selanne and McDonald, a lot of young foward gonna do well... Ryan Getzlaf did well last year with 40 points as a rookie, Perry did good to with 25 points on 50 games. Now Dustin Penner can do well. In my opinion he's not better then Joffrey Lupul, he may be can get 50 points or 60 big maximum...

I think Brule gonna outscored all rookie, if he play with Nash and Vyborny he can easily make 40-50 assists and 80 points... Wish Malkin can make arround 80 points... He gonna play second line center, so not too many ice time with Crosby, without PP. So i thinlk that would be a Top-?? foward like...

1-Brule 80
1- Malkin 80 ( if he came )
2- Penner 60 ( like 25-35 at best )
3- Radulov 50
3- Wolski 50
4- O'Sullivan 45
5- Kostitsyn 40 ( May be gonna get a rookie season like Jeff Carter who was drafted just after him )
5- Kopitar 40
6- Pouliot 30
6- Fehr 25-30 ( may be more if playing with AO sometime. )
7- Stewart 25-30 ( really dont know if he gonna play more then last year)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Based on what?

Based on the fact that CheckRaise is one of the biggest and most biased homers I've seen on these boards for any team.

Check his post history and you'll find some gems, like trying to argue that Raffi Torres is a star in the league.

But on topic, I don't think Penner has a chance at the calder. He simply isn't a big enough name among the prospects to garner attention over some of the other equally or more talented players coming in. Unfortunately for him, he'll either have to have an incredible year, or it'd have to be a different year with not nearly so much other talent waiting in the wings.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
With guys like Malkin, Brule, O'Sullivan, Kessel possibly, M. Staal, Bourdon.

I just don't think so, he's a stud, no doubt, but he's isn't at the same level as guys like Malkin, Brule, Kessel.

Vic Rattlehead*

With guys like Malkin, Brule, O'Sullivan, Kessel possibly, M. Staal, Bourdon.

I just don't think so, he's a stud, no doubt, but he's isn't at the same level as guys like Malkin, Brule, Kessel.

Toivonen should be on that list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad