Dustin Penner's Calder chances?

Randall Graves*

What do you guys think?

I am sure Malkin is the heavy favorite followed by Brule and O'Sullivan, but I'm thinking Penner could sneak up and get alot of votes. He dominated the AHL and in the playoffs played exceptional.

I think he has the potential to have a big year if he plays on a scoring line and picks up his physical game.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
He's a big boy and has some great hands. I don't see him winning it but I don't think it's far-fetched to say top-5.

CronoX

Mar 15, 2006
Hockeytown, MI
If he replaces Kunitz on the top line with McDonald and Selanne, he could be a Calder candidate. However, it will be hard to win the trophy against a more talented Brule (with Nash as a linemate), Malkin's mega talent, and Toivonen leading a rejuvinated Boston. Patrick O'Sullivan is in a similar boat as Penner where their ability to win the trophy will be tied with who their linemates are, as opposed to the other three players who could win it on their own.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
If he replaces Kunitz on the top line with McDonald and Selanne, he could be a Calder candidate. However, it will be hard to win the trophy against a more talented Brule (with Nash as a linemate), Malkin's mega talent, and Toivonen leading a rejuvinated Boston. Patrick O'Sullivan is in a similar boat as Penner where their ability to win the trophy will be tied with who their linemates are, as opposed to the other three players who could win it on their own.

Agree with this post.

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
If Malkin Doesn't Come Over, He will definately be a candidate.. but even then probably only a 3% chance or something.

Keep in mind stars like Brule, Kopitar, Bourdon, Staal, Harding... will be entering the league.. And many many very good players, and darkhorses. It wont be easy at all to get the calder. If Malkin Comes to the NHL, Id put his odds at very slim... to Zero.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If Malkin Doesn't Come Over, He will definately be a candidate.. but even then probably only a 3% chance or something.

Keep in mind stars like Brule, Kopitar, Bourdon, Staal, Harding... will be entering the league.. And many many very good players, and darkhorses. It wont be easy at all to get the calder. If Malkin Comes to the NHL, Id put his odds at very slim... to Zero.

You can rule alot of those guys out though. Harding will be backing up Fernandez, Staal and Bourdon will likely only be 3rd pairing guys. They would have to have huge seasons to be in consideration. Kopitar has yet to even make the team so he's a question mark. At this point, it's Malkin's to lose, although I don't think it's a slam dunk like everyone seems to think. Everyone is assuming he makes a seamless transition to the NHL, nothing is certain there. He could have a big year, he could also struggle. People should have learned by now that when it comes to the Calder, there are always players that come from out of nowhere to have big rookie years. I don't see this year as being any different. Someone will fly under the radar and put up a nice season. At this point, I can't make a prediction on who will win. Malkin is the glamour choice, but I honestly don't see him winning it. If anything, my money is on Toivonen right now or Brule.

JrussJacket

May 26, 2004
Twitter @jrusscbj
At this point, it's Malkin's to lose, although I don't think it's a slam dunk like everyone seems to think.

At this point, I can't make a prediction on who will win. Malkin is the glamour choice, but I honestly don't see him winning it. If anything, my money is on Toivonen right now or Brule.

:dunno:

MALKIN IS GOD !!!!!!*

What do you guys think?

I am sure Malkin is the heavy favorite followed by Brule and O'Sullivan, but I'm thinking Penner could sneak up and get alot of votes. He dominated the AHL and in the playoffs played exceptional.

I think he has the potential to have a big year if he plays on a scoring line and picks up his physical game.

If Malkin comes over 0% unless he gets hurt. I would guess no one will be within 40 points of the guy. The only one I would even semi consider would be Brule but I just don't think he will get the minutes.

Pens are still kind of sad - so with Malkins PK ability - I would not be suprised if he plays 5 more minutes per game then Crosby & Ovechkin.

Rattray

Sep 28, 2005
Vancouver, BC
www.sniperscup.com
This Penner kid can put the puck in the net. He's a physical monster....who would you compare him to?

His skating is dreadful, I'd say a Dave Andreychuk. Lots of his goals are just bang in's, in front of the net.

What numbers do you see him maxxing out at?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
As good as anyone that isnt named Malkin that will be entering the league. My money is on an older european that comes in and makes a direct impact. Ala Alfredsson, Nabokov, Hejduk etc.

Macster

Aug 26, 2005
Hammonds Plains, NS
As a Jackets fan i gotta say that Brule is the favourite. He'll be centering Nash and Vyborny, whereas Malkin will probably have Recchi and Ekman as his wingers.

Penner could be the surprise finalist, but he really doesn't stand a huge chance IMO.

3.14157%

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Heck, if he play's like he did during the playoffs he'll have an excellent chance. However, I guess that's the question, is the player we saw for a short period the real deal?

sammyp

Dec 2, 2005
Laguna Niguel, CA
Not what from I've seen. Almost Dingman-like skating.

I don't know what you saw.

mmbt is correct. For a big man, Penner moves pretty well.

Just another note -- Most of Penner's goals HAVE NOT come from just in front of the net, he's been scoring more from around the circles on nice shots. Everyone in the Ducks org. would like to see him set up shop in front of the net more often.

PACaptain

Jul 4, 2005
Road to the Repeat
Not real good at all. Still think he will be a strong player but I bet there will be some better candidates. Sort of like Petr Prucha or Jeff Carter last year who did well but were nowhere in the running.

Randall Graves*

This Penner kid can put the puck in the net. He's a physical monster....who would you compare him to?

His skating is dreadful, I'd say a Dave Andreychuk. Lots of his goals are just bang in's, in front of the net.

What numbers do you see him maxxing out at?
His skating is not dreadful..he is actually pretty quick for his size, it's his first step acceleration that needs work. He has a slap shot that clocks in over 100 MPH, as well as a quick accurate wrister..not too mention some very nice playmaking ability(ask Joffrey Lupul)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad