Dustin Brown

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
So, we remember that long Brownie thread. Many members were right at the time — his contract was high and he had ‘fallen off a cliff’.

I’ve only seen one major sports star resurge his career the way Dustin has —John Riggins. It was unprecedented, it’s just oh-so rare.

Brown has been amazing. Physical, playmaking, scoring. He isn’t scared to do his job, and he, now, knows his job. No more Sutter algorithms for how he should play. Just go play, Dustin (and I loved Sutter).

This resurgence has been a boon for our Kings.

Thank you, Vegas, for not taking this man. Brownie, oh captain my captain, I leave this for you. You deserve another Toyota commercial or two.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Everything is just going in for him, which is pretty much the exact opposite of the last few years...but he's also noticeably confident from it, and has slaughtered a few guys with hits. It's so, so good to see, because he's an easy guy to root for.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Everything is just going in for him, which is pretty much the exact opposite of the last few years...but he's also noticeably confident from it, and has slaughtered a few guys with hits. It's so, so good to see, because he's an easy guy to root for.
Again, I wonder if DS emphasized that guys play a more perimeter game since he loved to dump and chase... now you see Kopi and Brownie crash the net, be aggressive and zee goals have cometh...

Reactions: KingTrouty

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Coaches NEVER tell players to play around the perimeter. NEVER.

I would never disagree with that, but if the emphasis is on the cycle and puck control--with never a pass going from behind the net or the circles to the slot--it's easy to see why Kopitar was skating laps and just throwing the puck to the point.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I would guess that Sutter didn't tell his guys to play on the perimeter, but from their play it appears that going down the middle certainly wasn't the priority. They played to avoid mistakes, which is easier if you keep the puck on the boards.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
13-14, 4th goal in the 22rd game of the year.
14-15, 4th goal in the 23rd game of the year.
15-16, 4th goal in the 36th game of the year.
16-17, 4th goal in the 23rd game of the year.

Skating with purpose again. Quick, fast, sharp on his skates. Has he fallen down yet? What was with the falling the last few years? He's going to slow down in terms of points, but as long as he plays this way, his contract, at least this season, would not be an issue whatsoever, even aesthetically. $5.8m for how he's looking? Yes, please.
5 games, but he couldn't have started the year any better. A stunning turnaround so far.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
He signed my 2012 Stanley Cup book last Thursday. It was even better knowing he was kicking ass at the time and is continuing to do so. It's not just that he's scoring now. It's where he's doing it from. Has there been a between the legs toe drag from outside the left circle sighting yet? That's where he was relegated to over the last 2 seasons due to philosophy and linemate deployment. He hasn't lost a step yet (he had jump last season as well), but he may have lost some drive as his minutes and role diminished. Now that drive is back.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
LoL! How many times did I state that, if I was the Vegas GM, I would not only have selected Brown, but immediately named him Golden Knights Captain? And, of course, nearly everybody denounced me for stating so..... oh well...

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I expect Brown to have a similar year production wise to what Lucic had 2 years ago. Because Brown is going to the net and screening and cashing in the dirty Goals like Lucic was. I remember how many times I mentioned that , that was the difference I was seeing with having Lucic and why more goals were being scored. Goalies couldn't see the shot . That's how you score or else goalies can make routinely saves all day from regular shots from the points or with no screens. I'm definitely happy with what I've seen so far and I hope Brown keeps it up. 3 in 6 this year I called it and I believe !

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
LoL! How many times did I state that, if I was the Vegas GM, I would not only have selected Brown, but immediately named him Golden Knights Captain? And, of course, nearly everybody denounced me for stating so..... oh well...
I agreed with this. I was really worried about it as I always felt Brown could bounce back. They had no cap issues and it was a poor decision taking McNabb over him. Glad they cocked up though.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Again, I wonder if DS emphasized that guys play a more perimeter game since he loved to dump and chase... now you see Kopi and Brownie crash the net, be aggressive and zee goals have cometh...

You're not allowed to slash or hack or crosscheck anyone in the circles or in front of the net anymore. The game changed.

There is no reason to play on the walls or muck it up in the corners anymore or ware down the defense. Teams have to let players drive the net and walk into the circles.

You slash someone driving net PP, you hack someone in the circles PP, you slash on the hands PP, you cross check in front of the net PP. The Refs are finally doing their jobs, it allows guys to play in the dangerous scoring areas cause there is no longer a price to pay to going there.

Brown is playing excellent, like he did last season.

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
He's been a lot better with the new system.

He's changed... A LOT.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I really do think that getting his C taken away has bothered him like it was an insult. But an insult that he knew he deserved. It's not a coincidence that his play has improved since last year.

But for Kopi's sake, I hope that it completely bothers him that his team hasn't done shit since he became the captain. I'm sure that's on his mind. He already has two rings but he wants to prove that he can do it as the C.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad