Dustin Brown getting a long look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Dustin Brown was very impressive in the game last night vs. the Ducks, he scored a goal, registered 3 shots on goal and was throwing his body around. Brown has also been impressive in training camp, and there are rumors that the Kings are going to give him a chance to make the team.

Brown was a 2003 draft pick, but he is a late 84 birthday, meaning he is older than almost all the prospects taken in the 03 draft. Brown turns 19 in early November, so would be playing almost the entire NHL season as a 19 year old.

Also note, Brown is 6'0 tall and 200lbs, as opposed to many prospects he doesn't need to fill out. For example, Adam Deadmarsh is 6'0 195, so Brown has NHL size and strength. Brown has said he worked very hard lifting weights and gaining weight the last couple of years and it might pay off for him, landing him an NHL job sooner than most thought

Reactions: KingTrouty

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I just wish I could have seen the game on TV. But good for Dustin, a lot of people thought he was overrated at the draft last year so it's time to begin proving them wrong.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
I may be biost but I think brown should have been a top 7 pick I really like his game and I think he is that good. I think the Kings got a good pick landing him at the 13th spot.. :handclap:

William Shakespeare

I would be careful... We are still in the stages of camp where many prospects look good. I just have to hark back to Kobasew and the camp he had two years ago, and he still has not stuck in the NHL.

I certainly do not want to be negative, but keep tabs on your excitement until later in camp. I like brown, but a feel he is not quite NHL ready yet.

William

MOOSE55

Mar 28, 2003
BARRIE, ONT
Visit site
JDB3939 said:
I still think the Flyers should have taken him instead of Jeff Carter.

I think Brown was a top 10 pick IMO, but went a little later.

His success doesn't surprise me at all.
I think so too, but I'm a kings fan so I'm happy that they didn't
:)

fan mao rong

Feb 6, 2003
port royal , pa
Visit site
Sure, everybody wants a 6'0 200 would-be power forward rather than a large size center with scoring ability. And 6'0 200 ? ---ain't that big. Supposedly he has speed and skill, maybe with a muscular development based speed , a few leg injuries might put him in the LeClair speed class. And if you all want to go by early camp blurbs seems one Brent Burns has been the most impressive forward of them all. Why didn't any of you big experts chime in that Burns should be selected much earlier? Say 10th?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
fan mao rong said:
Sure, everybody wants a 6'0 200 would-be power forward rather than a large size center with scoring ability. And 6'0 200 ? ---ain't that big. Supposedly he has speed and skill, maybe with a muscular development based speed , a few leg injuries might put him in the LeClair speed class. And if you all want to go by early camp blurbs seems one Brent Burns has been the most impressive forward of them all. Why didn't any of you big experts chime in that Burns should be selected much earlier? Say 10th?

Well, maybe your team should've taken Burns at 11. If he was that damn good, he must be so much better then Carter.

And by the way, Brown > Carter. :yo:

fan mao rong

Feb 6, 2003
port royal , pa
Visit site
Seems the big experts on here, as I recall, around the time of the draft said they hadn't seen any of these guys anyhow. No K. Brown, Carter, Burns, or anyone else. Fact is, most would select a big center with speed and skill over a 6'0 200 would-be power forward. K. Brown is also a bit older than most in the most recent draft, so he may have a bit more skill development temporarily. All of his hype around these parts stem from some Canadian backwoodsman getting on here and letting on he had some top-secret super-duper info that nobody else could ever get that K. Brown was way better than those highly rated by the recognized experts. Strictly internet hype. Probability says he will not outperform those drafted ahead of him, especially not Carter. In fact, he was drafted too high given it was Los Angeles, seems have seen info that they made 3 questionable 1st round picks. And their performance through the years in drafting and performance backs this up. K. Brown--probably a good 3rd liner.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Funny.
About a month ago, when I said Brown should be considered among the top 25 or so prospects and was overly underrated, I was laughed at.
We'll see, but I'm willing ot bet he has a better career than some "consensus" overhyped top 25 prospects out there.

MOOSE55

Mar 28, 2003
BARRIE, ONT
Visit site
fan mao rong said:
Seems the big experts on here, as I recall, around the time of the draft said they hadn't seen any of these guys anyhow. No K. Brown, Carter, Burns, or anyone else. Fact is, most would select a big center with speed and skill over a 6'0 200 would-be power forward. K. Brown is also a bit older than most in the most recent draft, so he may have a bit more skill development temporarily. All of his hype around these parts stem from some Canadian backwoodsman getting on here and letting on he had some top-secret super-duper info that nobody else could ever get that K. Brown was way better than those highly rated by the recognized experts. Strictly internet hype. Probability says he will not outperform those drafted ahead of him, especially not Carter. In fact, he was drafted too high given it was Los Angeles, seems have seen info that they made 3 questionable 1st round picks. And their performance through the years in drafting and performance backs this up. K. Brown--probably a good 3rd liner.

First of all it is Dustin Brown not "K", Brown was ranked #2 among North American skaters for a reason......that's right.....ahead of Vanek and Horton.......Brown>>>>>Carter

fan mao rong

Feb 6, 2003
port royal , pa
Visit site
Oh yeah, K. Brown was a misstatement. It should be D. Brown. I confused Dustin Brown there for a minute with Kevin Brown. Let's see Los Angeles Kings, big-strong Right-handed shooting Right Wing, same probability of future success---seems like an honest mistake.

Kings Fanatic

Sep 15, 2003
fan mao rong said:
Seems the big experts on here, as I recall, around the time of the In fact, he was drafted too high given it was Los Angeles, seems have seen info that they made 3 questionable 1st round picks. And their performance through the years in drafting and performance backs this up. K. Brown--probably a good 3rd liner.

You need to look at the Kings draft record of the last few years. The years that this management has been in charge. Their record has been pretty good. Brown has always been highly touted and performed up to expectations. He has had a good camp and looked good in preseason. What are you basing your negative comments on? I seem to recall only one mag that didn't like him and I think it was also the only one that didn't like the Kings draft.

IGM

May 26, 2002
Visit site
Exactly right kf. I suppose he will tell us how Cammo/Frolov/Grebeshkov/Tambellini/Hogeboom/Rome/all suck and that none of them will pan out. RIIIGGGHHHTTTT.

MOOSE55

Mar 28, 2003
BARRIE, ONT
Visit site
fan mao rong said:

Most people would rather have brown over carterhttp://hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=13588
see for yourself...

Dr.Strangelove91

Nov 27, 2002
Tricolore world
Visit site
Dustin Brown has the size, the speed and the skills to be an elite NHLer. At worst he'll end up being a solid 3rd line checker and at best a first-line Owen Nolan type of guy. However, I don't think you can go wrong with this guy. I saw him a couple of times in the juniors and at the WJC and he plays a tremendous in your face game. A tough guy with skills. Some of you might laugh at me (not that I care), but he reminded me of the younger Jarome Iginla. I just hope everything will go as planned for him and that he'll have a chance to taste NHL success.

fan mao rong

Feb 6, 2003
port royal , pa
Visit site
D.Brown

Well, what do you know? Seen on www.tsn.ca the Bob McKenzie article on players from the last draft who are impressive in camp and have a good chance of "sticking" for the regular season. You remember Bob McKenzie, most people on here raved about this writer round about the time of the last draft, so no disputing this. Well, when listing these players evidently he omitted Dustin Brown. Let's see; Marc-Andre Fleury, Eric Stall, Nathan Horton, Anthony Stewart, Zherdev, Milan Michalek, and the aforementioned Brent Burns. Yep, No Dustin Brown. I know CSB rated Brown #2 in NA skaters. But what is the central scouting bureau? Scouts, now I fully believe they are paid less than team scouts, so it would follow they are the also-rans of the competition to be team scouts. These in the under-tier of the scouting profession make up a list of players that is a general guideline for team scouts to investigate further. I say the actual draft which is compiled by the scouting and general managers of the NHL teams is more indicitive of a players worth than a mock draft devised by those deemed unworthy to be team scouts. I know Dustin Brown in much ballyhooed by some on this forum. That's why he's a fair-haired boy of the internet crowd.

Cyclops II*

fan mao rong said:
Well, what do you know? Seen on www.tsn.ca the Bob McKenzie article on players from the last draft who are impressive in camp and have a good chance of "sticking" for the regular season. You remember Bob McKenzie, most people on here raved about this writer round about the time of the last draft, so no disputing this. Well, when listing these players evidently he omitted Dustin Brown. Let's see; Marc-Andre Fleury, Eric Stall, Nathan Horton, Anthony Stewart, Zherdev, Milan Michalek, and the aforementioned Brent Burns. Yep, No Dustin Brown. I know CSB rated Brown #2 in NA skaters. But what is the central scouting bureau? Scouts, now I fully believe they are paid less than team scouts, so it would follow they are the also-rans of the competition to be team scouts. These in the under-tier of the scouting profession make up a list of players that is a general guideline for team scouts to investigate further. I say the actual draft which is compiled by the scouting and general managers of the NHL teams is more indicitive of a players worth than a mock draft devised by those deemed unworthy to be team scouts. I know Dustin Brown in much ballyhooed by some on this forum. That's why he's a fair-haired boy of the internet crowd.

Half of the Kings forwards are hurt. He may start the season with the Kings by default although IMO he probably deserves to make the team on merit.
Presumeably Stewart is on the list because Keenan will keep him on the team even if he doesn't deserve to be there.

MOOSE55

Mar 28, 2003
BARRIE, ONT
Visit site
fan mao rong said:

Well I don't see Carter's name on the list either. People who have actually watched Brown play in the preseason think he is doing good. I don't think TSN.ca makes it out to LA much. Remember this thread is about Dustin Brown having a good camp......no one said he was better than the guys you mentioned......you started talking about Carter being better in a thread which his name shouldn't have been mentioned in the first place(and most people disagree with you.....check the poll board if you want proof). Stay on topic...if you want to talk about Brown's training camp the fine.....People who read this thread probably don't care about your homer opinion on Carter... So unless you have some relevant info, then piss o*f!

Kings Fanatic

Sep 15, 2003
fan mao rong said:

Since you bring up McKenzie, here is what his draft preview said of Brown, "TSN SCOUTING REPORT: Like Michalek, Brown has seen his stock slip just a little over the course of the season and, really, for no apparent reason. Brown is a prototypical pro style winger. He's a strong skater who plays the game hard, drives the net and does good work in traffic. His major attribute is an ability to score goals but he impresses with the level of commitment and hard work it takes to get those goals"

Ranking of Brown: 10

Again, where are you getting your negativity from? So what if Brown doesn't stick this year? Does that make him a bust? I don't think so. He has shown in camp and preseason that McKenzie was right about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->