Duolingo: Language Learning App

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
Has anyone used this for awhile? Did you find it useful or a waste of time?

I'm on Day 2, learning French, and while I really enjoy it, it'll be interesting to see just how much I learn from it.

Oh, and if you haven't heard of it but are interested in learning a new language, Duolingo is absolutely Free.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I used it for a week to learn Turkish. It actually worked pretty well, but then I stopped.

If I were still going with it I'd probably know quite a bit of Turkish by now. It's effective.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It's definitely not a waste of time. If you stick with it, you can learn the language you choose.

But if you're like me, it's the "sticking with it" part that becomes difficult.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's definitely not a waste of time. If you stick with it, you can learn the language you choose.

But if you're like me, it's the "sticking with it" part that becomes difficult.

Yep, same here lol

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Just started it, taking it for Spanish since that will help be a bit with my job. Did the first lesson, seems like it will be overwhelming (obviously it is a new language?) but I shall keep it up for awhile and see how it goes.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I just started using it to learn French. I took some French in high school, so I took the placement test at the beginning and bombed it :laugh: it has been a while. The things I do remember are definitely coming in handy though. I've done 45 lessons in a couple days, most of which were easy review. I'm now starting to get to stuff that I don't remember at all and it's getting a little tough. The different tenses is what used to throw me badly. I really want to stick with it though.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
I just started using it to learn French. I took some French in high school, so I took the placement test at the beginning and bombed it :laugh: it has been a while. The things I do remember are definitely coming in handy though. I've done 45 lessons in a couple days, most of which were easy review. I'm now starting to get to stuff that I don't remember at all and it's getting a little tough. The different tenses is what used to throw me badly. I really want to stick with it though.

This is my story as well. Even plan to watch either the Habs or Sens this year in French which I know will help me by the end of the year.

It's okay but they lack the asian languages

I know you can request a language. I would imagine that since you have to write some stuff, that it would be more difficult since you'd have to use Pinyin (at least in Chinese).

I lived in China for some time and I remember how they taught it was VERY different than any language I've learned.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
This is my story as well. Even plan to watch either the Habs or Sens this year in French which I know will help me by the end of the year.

I know you can request a language. I would imagine that since you have to write some stuff, that it would be more difficult since you'd have to use Pinyin (at least in Chinese).

I lived in China for some time and I remember how they taught it was VERY different than any language I've learned.

I stopped taking French after I was 14, so most of the French I know now is from watching RDS for all these years. :laugh:

I've had the app on my phone for a while now but haven't gotten started on any languages. French will probably be the first one.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
I stopped taking French after I was 14, so most of the French I know now is from watching RDS for all these years. :laugh:

I've had the app on my phone for a while now but haven't gotten started on any languages. French will probably be the first one.

Do it, it's really a nice way to learn a language. Plus the standards aren't so high as to get one discouraged easily.

I do feel like I'm learning, or re-learning French at a great pace.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Started learning German because of this thread have never heard of it before and always wanted to know more languages. Hoping its successful because I hated language classes. App is actually kind of addictive.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Started learning German because of this thread have never heard of it before and always wanted to know more languages. Hoping its successful because I hated language classes. App is actually kind of addictive.

You never heard of German before?

kidding.

Also, it's Duolingo, correct?

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Yeah never heard of this German thing so figured it may catch on as a fad and I better get in on it soon, before it has a place in history ha

Yeah Duolingo. Way more engaging than anticipated upon reading this thread

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
I wanted to use it to learn some Japanese before going to Japan, but alas, it does not have Japanese :(

I may use it to relearn all my high school German, assuming I can actually stick with it. I've heard good stuff about it from people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad