Duncan Keith

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
I think we've all gotten comfortable with the fact that Seabrook is a liability at this point in time, and we're just going to have to hope for the best.

More troubling, however, is Keith. Perhaps it is an injury -- perhaps it is the different playing partners -- perhaps it is just a stretch of bad games. Whatever it is, he doesn't look like himself out there, and I wonder whether all of the hard minutes over the years have zapped his quickness (and therefore his confidence). Because most nights lately, he doesn't look too good out there.

Am I overreacting?

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I think we've all gotten comfortable with the fact that Seabrook is a liability at this point in time, and we're just going to have to hope for the best.

More troubling, however, is Keith. Perhaps it is an injury -- perhaps it is the different playing partners -- perhaps it is just a stretch of bad games. Whatever it is, he doesn't look like himself out there, and I wonder whether all of the hard minutes over the years have zapped his quickness (and therefore his confidence). Because most nights lately, he doesn't look too good out there.

Am I overreacting?
You are not overreacting, Keith is not the player he once was and its completely understandable. He has played a ridiculous anount of minutes in his hockey life, he has had knee issues, and he is 34 1/2. The parings have not helped for sure but no matter how inhuman people think Keith is the fact is he is a human and he is aging and declining some. He has given his all to the Hawks and I dont blame him, it just happens to everyone. He is still a damn good player but the days of Norris trophy winner are long gone. He could really use some days off, some reduction in minutes.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Keith isn't the cream of the crop D man he was a few years ago. He's getting older and has a ton of miles. However, he's still a very good top pair defenseman. He could benefit from not playing as huge of a workload. I think 22 minutes would be a nice number for him. Take him off the PP and your close to that. I'd also like to see him get away from Seabrook and Franson as much as possible.

To me every defensive conversation comes back to getting Kempny in there. I'm probably not as high on him as some others on here, but I think he's competent and it can get Murphy with Keith which I think is where this needs to go.

Keith/Murphy
Forsling/Rutta
Kempny/Franson/Seabs

To me Franson and Seabs are redundant in a very bad way. If you are going to play Seabs, you can't play Franson, unless your dressing 7 D.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
I think that 2015 postseason run was Keith's last hurrah so to speak. As mentioned already, he's played TONS of minutes and he's getting up there in age so the answer here might be to reduce his minutes and lean on the Forsling/Rutta pairing a little more.

Edit: Oh, and stop pairing him with Franson.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Age + mileage = diminishing physical capability

All there is to it, really. He's still a smart player, so hopefully he adjusts accordingly as he gets more and more used to reality, but only time will tell. He still has the tools to be a quality defenseman for us though, so at this point I'm not super concerned with him on the blue line aside from obviously not being able to realistically expect another juggernaut postseason.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
the bottom line, the player he once was, he is not. this was something close to resembling excuses for Seabs.

thing is, while he was a top pairing d-man, i would rather hope he can be a middle paring d-man. however some his miss assignments he has had in the last several games is hard to take or ignore.

i would, as i mention, move him off the top pairing, 18-20 mins games and see if that is the trick.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
He's still a #1 defenseman. He's just not a Norris caliber defenseman at this point. Playing him with a guy that should be rotating in as a #7 every now and then is helping NO ONE.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
He’s living up to the cap and more that’s all that needs to be said, others are eating up 10.5, 6.8, and 6 and not performing, Keith is the least of this team’s problems...

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
He’s living up to the cap and more that’s all that needs to be said, others are eating up 10.5, 6.8, and 6 and not performing, Keith is the least of this team’s problems...

I disagree. We rely on him to be a #1, when this team currently has no #2...

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i agree..... the teams main problem is Q, followed closely by Seabs.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
He's still a #1 defenseman. He's just not a Norris caliber defenseman at this point. Playing him with a guy that should be rotating in as a #7 every now and then is helping NO ONE.
i don't know, i keep seeing the other players just skating around Keith.....

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Because he's having to work twice as hard out there to cover for a partner that is a borderline NHLer?
then keep finding and making up excuses for reason on why he is playing the way he is.

this is the NHL and players either perform or they don't. if they don't they need to be replace or rethought of his presence on the team.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Is there anywhere to get WOWY numbers anymore? I'd be interested to see Keith's numbers away from Seabs and Franson.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sometimes guys just don't play well together. We have seen Keith play like this with other partners, as well. Franson is not a good fit with Keith. It's very obvious.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
then keep finding and making up excuses for reason on why he is playing the way he is.

this is the NHL and players either perform or they don't. if they don't they need to be replace or rethought of his presence on the team.

Maybe I'm on an island here, but Keith has been good IMO. It's a step down from the great we are a custom too, but he wouldn't be in the top 10 things wrong with this team.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Sometimes guys just don't play well together. We have seen Keith play like this with other partners, as well. Franson is not a good fit with Keith. It's very obvious.
keith was a #1 type of a d-man. keep trying to find excuses.

i am done with you on this subject.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Maybe I'm on an island here, but Keith has been good IMO. It's a step down from the great we are a custom too, but he wouldn't be in the top 10 things wrong with this team.
true and i still think he may be a very capable second pairing d-men.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
First cw the list shot from the point and declining goals production..Then came the fumbles at the point and poir positioning for keep ins now getting cleared past him...Skating still is there but mental positioning and anticipation abilities are in decline ..as it his battle comittment/compete hard which he cannot sustain as long as he one did ...All that is left is his skating and stick ...but everything else in decline ...no longer a #1 pair d-man. .looking more like a #3 now. ..

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Three things:

1. Franson is not a good partner for an elite defensemen. Let Keith play with Murphy. CM isn't a top pairing guy, but he's better than Franson.
2. Oftentimes fans will remember more of the good and less of the bad when it comes to a players history. In the 14-15 regular season, Keith wasn't a whole lot better than he is now. We all just kinda forgot that he wasn't a norris caliber player that season because he was so damn clutch in the playoffs.
3. Which leads me to my last point, he's not a norris winner anymore. But he's still arguably in the top 10 of defensemen in this league. He's been our best defensmen this season, but Forsling's made that competition a lot closer than any of us would've imagined a few months ago.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
24209079_10214805955365353_1426645095_o.jpg

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
while keith feels like 22 yr old but he is playing like 52.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
while keith feels like 22 yr old but he is playing like 52.

No. That would be Seabs. Keith is playing like a 34 year old #1 with a lot of miles on him. He's fine most nights. The most complaints about him are him on the PP and they have nothing to do with the majority of his play outside of that. If he's playing like he's 52, seabs is playing like he's 92. This was a ridiculous statement by you ldf.

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
No. That would be Seabs. Keith is playing like a 34 year old #1 with a lot of miles on him. He's fine most nights. The most complaints about him are him on the PP and they have nothing to do with the majority of his play outside of that. If he's playing liked he's 52, seabs is playing like he's 92. This was a ridiculous statement by you ldf.
:biglaugh: fantastic ..... actually the picture that Piteus pict of the fallen person..... now that is Seabs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->