Dump Pang

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
As far as "homers" go, I have never heard a worse broadcast crew than the current Blackhawks announcers, especially Eddie Olczyk. DVR'd the wrong feed during the last Blues/Blackhawks game. It was terrible.

Agree about Eddie Olczyk (what a terrible head coach), but the rest of the crew has come a long way, imo. I guess, as a Chicagoan, I have heard these guys a lot over the years.

It seemed to me that they were much worse homers before they won the Cup and ever since the Hawks won the crew seems a little more gracious and appreciative of other teams' players.

Besides, Olczyk was born and raised in the Chicago area and like typical Chicago sports he is a big-time homer and doesn't hide it much.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
the worst is the buffalo guy. His voices just makes me angry. Also if you wanna here the funniest announcer look up Randy Moller goal calls on youtube, he's the florida panthers announcer and everytime they score he yells out a funny quote from a movie, its hilarious.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
the worst is the buffalo guy. His voices just makes me angry. Also if you wanna here the funniest announcer look up Randy Moller goal calls on youtube, he's the florida panthers announcer and everytime they score he yells out a funny quote from a movie, its hilarious.

Buffalo Rick calls a good game...He just has the worst tone of all time. Didn't that guy used to call for Nashville?

WILSON!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
I love bernie, but no way is he a better color man than panger. Its called the colorman for a reason, and pang has been adding his colorful commentary to NHL broadcast for over 15 year,but put me in the boat for one of those people who misses ken wilson.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
After last night it should be apparent to everyone how important Pang is to the Blues telecast. Leave Bernie in STL where he belongs

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
I continually find myself unable to understand some people's love of Bernie Federko. Wanting him back in the color position where he can stumble over his words, make completely inane and often non-sensical observations/conclusions, and otherwise generally degrade the quality of the broadcast seems to be at odds with what one traditionally wants of a broadcasting crew.

But then, I think Hrabosky should be excised and Mike Shannon might be tolerable if he would cease trying to announce with marbles in his mouth and stopped drinking...drank more...whatever.

And while I do miss Ken Wilson's very smooth call, I do not miss his inability to actually remember which player he was talking about. The number of times he would use the generic "right winger" or such was actually distracting on a regular basis, the last 2-3 years in particular.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I guess none of you ever hear Joe Starkey for The Oakland Seals. He was the worst hockey announcer I've ever heard. "What a Bonanza!" He had been a baseball anouncer most of his career. I doubt that he even knew that hockey existed when he was growing up.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
The worst is San Jose...AINEC.

Last year, especially in the playoffs, I would have agreed.

This year, in the games I have watched, they have been much more tolerable. The color guy last night was probably upsetting his own fan base. He pointed out every little thing the Sharks did wrong and was quite honestly the opposite of a homer.

That said it's still early and they definitely are still not considered good in my book.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I agree with the SJ hate, can't stand Drew Remenda. Not a big fan of the Ducks and Wings announcers either. I think we're definitely top 10 around the league in terms of commentators, our guys can definitely be homers at times, but it's not as bad as other teams.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
I guess none of you ever hear Joe Starkey for The Oakland Seals. He was the worst hockey announcer I've ever heard. "What a Bonanza!" He had been a baseball anouncer most of his career. I doubt that he even knew that hockey existed when he was growing up.

Starkey called the Colorado Rockies games, too... and I liked the "Oh, what a bonanza!" goal call. He got to use that a lot with the line of Wilf Paiement, Paul Gardner and Gary Croteau (what we Rockies' fans at the time called the GPC Line, the Goal Production Crew).

Of course, that was over 30 years ago, when I was a teenager...

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
It seemed to me that they (Hawks' announcers) were much worse homers before they won the Cup...

Oh. My. God.

Pat Foley and Dale Tallon were freakin' horrible, the worst friggin' homers you ever heard. Foley's falsetto screech whenever the Hawks scored was most irritating, and with Tallon, every time a Hawk player was checked, it was always, "that guy took a run at our player from halfway across the ice."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad