Value of: Dumba to Oilers

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
A deal around Dumba+mid add? for Poolparty +1st might make sense for the Wild with expansion coming and if we aren't going to lock up dumba long-term and move 1 of Brodin/Spurgeon, or make other moves to potentially go the 4-4-1 route. I might be a minority fan on this idea though.
Personally, if we're making moves in anticipation of the expansion draft I'd look at moving Spurgeon before Dumba. I think it's early for that, though.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I was thinking about this:
EDM: 2018 1st + Yamamoto + 2018 3rd
For
MIN: Dumba + Coyle/Nino/Zucker

Not a chance. Dumba is worth more than the 2018 first and any of the other guys are worth more than Yamato + 3rd.

Would have to be 2018 first + yamamoto + 2018 3rd for Dumba.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Wild aren’t moving Dumba for picks or prospects and I still think they’re more likely to move spurgeon than Dumba. Brodin-Dumba is the future top pair in Minnesota (we’re getting a preview of it now and it looks pretty damned good)

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
IIRC, the deal being discussed was Brodin for RNH.
There was definitely talk around Dumba and RNH two offseasons ago:

The Wild has had trade talks with the Edmonton Oilers about center Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, although all Oilers skilled forwards not named Connor McDavid are also said to be in play. The Oilers appear to want right-shot Matt Dumba and other pieces, including next year’s second-rounder. The problem is the Wild no longer owns that pick.

I don't think it (publicly) came up last offseason and I'd assume neither team wants to revisit it at this point.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Nurse is untouchable as far as the Oilers are concerned. Dumba had a very good season... but so did Nurse. He just won’t ever put up the gaudy point totals, but he was our de-facto #1 all season long. He doesnt have the likes of Suter and Sprurgeon and Brodin insulating him. He has a Brodin-type in Larsson, and a very inconsistent Spurgeon-lite in Klefbom.

Nurse gets tough matchups, PK, and boatloads of 5 v 5 minutes. We absolutely cannot replace what he brings. Nurse for Dumba plugs a hole in the roof by ripping out a support beam.

It's literally impossible to insulate a 24 minute a night defender. In fact Dumba's 46% O zone starts was the lowest of any of Nurse, Dumba, Spurgeon, Suter and Brodin. He also averaged 2 minutes of PK time a night.

At one point in his career he was deservedly sheltered. He hasn't been for awhile and his game has matured tremendously. When he makes a defensive gaff, they are usaully highly visible and head scratching. But they are much rarer than they used to be, and he'd probably play top pairing on over half the teams in the league. We just happen to have Surgeon as well.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It's literally impossible to insulate a 24 minute a night defender. In fact Dumba's 46% O zone starts was the lowest of any of Nurse, Dumba, Spurgeon, Suter and Brodin. He also averaged 2 minutes of PK time a night.

At one point in his career he was deservedly sheltered. He hasn't been for awhile and his game has matured tremendously. When he makes a defensive gaff, they are usaully highly visible and head scratching. But they are much rarer than they used to be, and he'd probably play top pairing on over half the teams in the league. We just happen to have Surgeon as well.

Half is probably too much. I only came up with 8 for sure.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I can come up with 13-14 where he would be the top RHD

Arizona
Detroit
Vancouver
New York Islanders
Philly
Vegas
Toronto
Edmonton
Chicago
New Jersey

These 10 are the ones that I would say is close to a sure thing (if not a sure thing). I overlooked Edmonton and New Jersey, previously.

I'm wondering about your other 3-4. Calgary? Pittsburgh?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Arizona
Detroit
Vancouver
New York Islanders
Philly
Vegas
Toronto
Edmonton
Chicago
New Jersey

These 10 are the ones that I would say is close to a sure thing (if not a sure thing). I overlooked Edmonton and New Jersey, previously.

I'm wondering about your other 3-4. Calgary? Pittsburgh?
Boston
Buffalo
Rangers
Ducks

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
McAvoy
Ristolainen
Shattenkirk
Manson

I think only the Rangers would contemplate a 1-on-1 deal.
None are near the player that Dumba is right now. Mcavoy will be the better player real soon though.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
None are near the player that Dumba is right now. Mcavoy will be the better player real soon though.

I think Manson is pretty underrated. Same number of even strength points as Dumba, no PP time, probably the same level of defense as Dumba but with a little more consistency.

Hard to tell with Ristolainen though. Yes, he's on a bad team, but he's also contributing to the team being bad.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think Manson is pretty underrated. Same number of even strength points as Dumba, no PP time, probably the same level of defense as Dumba but with a little more consistency.

Hard to tell with Ristolainen though. Yes, he's on a bad team, but he's also contributing to the team being bad.
I agree with you about Manson,but if given the chance,the Ducks would kill to run Lindholm/Dumba for 25 minutes a night.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's a pretty high 1st. You might be able to draft a 50 point RD or a 30 goal LW.
The operative word is "might". We've already got a 50 pt. RHD just entering his prime, so we trade him for magic beans? ON a team whose D depth has been exposed after losing Scandella and Reilly?

EDM has nothing I want besides LD. If they aren't prepared to move him, then buh-bye.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The operative word is "might". We've already got a 50 pt. RHD just entering his prime, so we trade him for magic beans? ON a team whose D depth has been exposed after losing Scandella and Reilly?

EDM has nothing I want besides LD. If they aren't prepared to move him, then buh-bye.
I should probably just avoid sarcasm entirely on the Trade forum :laugh:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nurse is untouchable as far as the Oilers are concerned. Dumba had a very good season... but so did Nurse. He just won’t ever put up the gaudy point totals, but he was our de-facto #1 all season long. He doesnt have the likes of Suter and Sprurgeon and Brodin insulating him. He has a Brodin-type in Larsson, and a very inconsistent Spurgeon-lite in Klefbom.

Nurse gets tough matchups, PK, and boatloads of 5 v 5 minutes. We absolutely cannot replace what he brings. Nurse for Dumba plugs a hole in the roof by ripping out a support beam.
I like Nurse, out of all the Oilers Dmen, but the Wild is one of the last teams that need him, or would trade for him. They've got Suter and Brodin on the left side. Trading Nurse for Dumba makes no sense for MN...so let's leave the debate about who is better.

Wild don't need more Dmen. Frankly, they don't need a lot, unless it's a high end C that can play above Koivu and/or Staal. To trade Dumba for "stuff" is absurd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad