Duff88's 2004 mock draft (2 rounds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superfluous U

Jan 15, 2004
At a Stone Prison on a Hill
If Schwartz falls to the Oiler's pick, I wouldn't be surprised if they took him, but I'm expecting him to be gone by then. Then, a guy like Picard would be what I would expect, then for them to use Philly's pick on a goalie. I like JDD, but putting all your eggs in one basket with your future goaltending isn't particularily clever.

plaugher

May 2, 2002
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Nice to see you add Karsums in at the end. I'm a huge fan of this kid. He's a little tank out there.

It's unfortunate that he's so small; another two or three inches taller, and people would probably be talking late-first round with him.

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Duff88 said:
As every year, I'll do two mock draft. Here's the first one, the second one will be done a week from the draft. There is no description for this one, but if anyone want the reason why I picked someone at some place, just ask it! I want any comments, good or bad!

1. Pittsburgh Penguins - Alexander Ovechkin
2. Columbus Blue Jackets - Yevgeny Malkin
3. Chicago Blackhawks - Rostislav Olesz
4. Washington Capitals - Cam Barker
5. Phoenix Coyotes - Wojtech Wolski
6. New York Rangers - A.J. Thelen
7. Carolina Hurricanes - Lauri Tukonen
8. Atlanta Thrashers - Rob Schremp
9. Anaheim Mighty Ducks - Wes O'Neill
10. Florida Panthers - Andrew Ladd
11. Minnesota Wild - Mike Green
12. Buffalo Sabres - Boris Valabik
13. Edmonton Oilers - Kyle Chipchura
14. Los Angeles Kings - Marek Shwarz
15. New York Islanders - Drew Stafford
16. Nashville Predators - Jakub Sindel
17. St. Louis Blues - Alexandre Picard
18. Calgary Flames - Enver Lisin
19. Dallas Stars - Dave Bolland
20. Montreal Canadiens - Johan Fransson
21. Vancouver Canucks - Oscar Hedman
22. New Jersey Devils - Kirill Lyamin
23. Ottawa Senators - Adam Berti
24. New York Rangers (TOR) - Brian Bickell
25. San Jose Sharks - Alvaro Montoya
26. Washington Capitals (BOS) - Carl Söderberg
27. Colorado Avalanche - Evan McGrath
28. Edmonton Oilers (PHI) - Alexander Radulov
29. Tampa Bay Lightning - Lukas Kaspar
30. Washington Capitals (DET) - Ladislav Smid

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

31. Pittsburgh Penguins - Andrej Meszaros
32. Dallas Stars (CBJ) - Bruce Graham
33. Chicago Blackhawks - Eric Hunter
34. Washington Capitals - Tyler Haskins
35. Phoenix Coyotes - Michal Sersen
36. New York Rangers - Adam Pineault
37. Carolina Hurricanes - John Lammers
38. Atlanta Thrashers - Johannes Salomonsson
39. Anaheim Mighty Ducks - Roman Tesliuk
40. New York Rangers (FLA) - David Brown
41. Minnesota Wild - Petteri Nokelainen
42. Buffalo Sabres - T.J. Hensick
43. New York Rangers (EDM) - Shawn Mole
44. Chicago Blackhawks (LA) - Devan Dubnyk
45. New York Islanders - Petr Pohl
46. Chicago Blackhawks (NAS) - Aki Seitsonen
47. St. Louis Blues - Dustin Boyd
48. Florida Panthers (CGY) - Cory Schneider
49. Chicago Blackhawks (DAL) - Jordan Smith
50. New York Rangers (MTL) - David Booth
51. Pittsburgh Penguins (VAN) - Raymond Sawada
52. Phoenix Coyotes (NJ) - Travis Zajac
53. Ottawa Senators - Sami Lepisto
54. Carolina Hurricanes (TOR) - Richard Demén-Willaume
55. San Jose Sharks - Mark Fistric
56. Washington Capitals (BOS) - Darin Olver
57. Colorado Avalanche - David Krejci
58. Phoenix Coyotes (PHI) - Jeff Shultz
59. Tampa Bay Lightning - Julien Ellis
60. Boston Bruins (DET) - Martins Karsums

As a Ducks fan, I wouldn't be terribly excited about them drafting Wes O'Neill with the 10th pick overall. Living in Southern California, I don't get a chance to see the prospects, so I have to rely on what I read. I get the impression that O'Neill hasn't quite lived up to his billings.

Assuming he opts in, I'd love to see the Ducks draft Thelen (although he may be gone by the time they pick). I'd rather have any of the following before going for O'Neill: Ladd, Valibek, Schwartz, Stafford or Radulov.

Have you seen much of O'Neill? Why do you rank him so high?

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
I could see Chicago, Phoenix, Anaheim, Rangers, Minnesota, Edmonton and LA picking a goalie before spot #15.

Rangers got Blackburn, and the Hawks/Ducks are both pretty stacked in terms of goaltending.

Old Hickory

Duff88 said:
As every year, I'll do two mock draft. Here's the first one, the second one will be done a week from the draft. There is no description for this one, but if anyone want the reason why I picked someone at some place, just ask it! I want any comments, good or bad!

Duff you are now one of my favorite posters! Good job on this!

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Kick Save said:
As a Ducks fan, I wouldn't be terribly excited about them drafting Wes O'Neill with the 10th pick overall. Living in Southern California, I don't get a chance to see the prospects, so I have to rely on what I read. I get the impression that O'Neill hasn't quite lived up to his billings.

Assuming he opts in, I'd love to see the Ducks draft Thelen (although he may be gone by the time they pick). I'd rather have any of the following before going for O'Neill: Ladd, Valibek, Schwartz, Stafford or Radulov.

Have you seen much of O'Neill? Why do you rank him so high?

I saw O'Neill a couple of times and I rank him as the 3rd best D in the draft, but it will be close between him and Thelen.

He's simply the best fit for the Ducks : He's big and he has great offensive skills. He works hard on every shift and will make everything to improve. He could be one of the top players in the NCAA in the years to come. He's just the kind of prospect you look for when you draft, he will likely be an awesome pick for any team who draft him.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Mike Green is, as you most likely know, an all-around defenceman who can bring about everything from offence, to defence and some physical plays to.

Petteri Nokelainen... I only saw him in some Junior tournaments so I can't judge from his play in the Finnish leagues. He is quite big, something like 6'2/190, he delivered a couple of good hits but wasn't all that noticeable as I wasn't watching him really much. I heard quite some good things on him as he caught the eyes of a couple scouts in Finland. They say that he plays a good two-way game with a more agressive way than most europeans (More hits, go in the corner and in front of the net). I think that his biggest weakness is his lack of exposure in North-America.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
DownFromNJ said:
Rangers got Blackburn, and the Hawks/Ducks are both pretty stacked in terms of goaltending.
As I've said, no franchise goalie on these teams.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Oh I give him credit. He's a very good prospect. But he's not a franchise goalie prospect IMO.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
I think the first round goalies are a bit too low and I think Dubnyk will also go higher.

Lisin doesn't strike me as a Flames pick as much as a guy like Dave Bolland does. Chances are the Flames are going to steer away from the classic soft, skilled, flashy, european type of forward. I'd say we're much more likely to either take a goalie (Sutter has given Tod Button the go ahead to take a goalie in the first and it sounds like Button is high on several), a defensemen (Sutter seems to like both the physical stay at homers and the puck movers) or a gritty forward with skill. Skating will probably be an emphasis as will hard workers.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
zetterberg40 said:
We all know its about needs

No it's not. Some teams will certainly let need factor in to their decision but there will be other teams who will just draft the best available player. Look back at the past 5-7 years and you'll see some pretty surprising goaltender picks considering who was already in the system (see Philly, Buffalo, NJ, etc.)

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
ducksflytogether said:
Think about it. Lets say team X has prospects like Lehtonen and Fleury in net. Maybe throw in a Harding as well. Do you think they're going to take Montoya, just because he's the best player available?

Very good chance they would take Montoya. It would be pretty stupid to turn down a better asset just because you were deep in that area.

tk421

May 1, 2003
Visit site
The Wild’s philosophy is to take forwards with the first pick. This is somewhat maddening but that’s what Doug Risebrough has said on several occasions. That being said, I do not see them taking Green. :dunno:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Duff88 said:

1. Pittsburgh Penguins - Alexander Ovechkin
2. Columbus Blue Jackets - Yevgeny Malkin
3. Chicago Blackhawks - Rostislav Olesz
4. Washington Capitals - Cam Barker
5. Phoenix Coyotes - Wojtech Wolski
6. New York Rangers - A.J. Thelen
7. Carolina Hurricanes - Lauri Tukonen
8. Atlanta Thrashers - Rob Schremp
9. Anaheim Mighty Ducks - Wes O'Neill
10. Florida Panthers - Andrew Ladd
11. Minnesota Wild - Mike Green
12. Buffalo Sabres - Boris Valabik
13. Edmonton Oilers - Kyle Chipchura
15. New York Islanders - Drew Stafford
16. Nashville Predators - Jakub Sindel
17. St. Louis Blues - Alexandre Picard
18. Calgary Flames - Enver Lisin
19. Dallas Stars - Dave Bolland
20. Montreal Canadiens - Johan Fransson
21. Vancouver Canucks - Oscar Hedman
22. New Jersey Devils - Kirill Lyamin
23. Ottawa Senators - Adam Berti
24. New York Rangers (TOR) - Brian Bickell
25. San Jose Sharks - Alvaro Montoya
26. Washington Capitals (BOS) - Carl Söderberg
27. Colorado Avalanche - Evan McGrath
28. Edmonton Oilers (PHI) - Alexander Radulov
29. Tampa Bay Lightning - Lukas Kaspar
30. Washington Capitals (DET) - Ladislav Smid

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

31. Pittsburgh Penguins - Andrej Meszaros
32. Dallas Stars (CBJ) - Bruce Graham
33. Chicago Blackhawks - Eric Hunter
34. Washington Capitals - Tyler Haskins
35. Phoenix Coyotes - Michal Sersen
36. New York Rangers - Adam Pineault
37. Carolina Hurricanes - John Lammers
38. Atlanta Thrashers - Johannes Salomonsson
39. Anaheim Mighty Ducks - Roman Tesliuk
40. New York Rangers (FLA) - David Brown
41. Minnesota Wild - Petteri Nokelainen
42. Buffalo Sabres - T.J. Hensick
43. New York Rangers (EDM) - Shawn Mole
44. Chicago Blackhawks (LA) - Devan Dubnyk
45. New York Islanders - Petr Pohl
46. Chicago Blackhawks (NAS) - Aki Seitsonen
47. St. Louis Blues - Dustin Boyd
48. Florida Panthers (CGY) - Cory Schneider
49. Chicago Blackhawks (DAL) - Jordan Smith
50. New York Rangers (MTL) - David Booth
51. Pittsburgh Penguins (VAN) - Raymond Sawada
52. Phoenix Coyotes (NJ) - Travis Zajac
53. Ottawa Senators - Sami Lepisto
54. Carolina Hurricanes (TOR) - Richard Demén-Willaume
55. San Jose Sharks - Mark Fistric
56. Washington Capitals (BOS) - Darin Olver
57. Colorado Avalanche - David Krejci
58. Phoenix Coyotes (PHI) - Jeff Shultz
59. Tampa Bay Lightning - Julien Ellis
60. Boston Bruins (DET) - Martins Karsums

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Alexander Radulov 28th? Are you nuts? He's easily at least the 4th best euro and maybe the best in the draft as a potential scorer......He has to go top ten...

Where is Lauri Korkiposki? He obviously impressed Woodlief and Redline enough to go somewhere late first early 2nd...some NHL teams probably would say so too...

I agree with you--the already deeply loaded youing goalie situation in Chicago will see even 1 more candidate--if the hawks keep all 4 2nd rounders--one of them will go for a goalie--don't know if Dubnyk will last that long -if he does --yup they will grab him---- I know Hawks fans will say--we already have Leighton,Anderson,Crawford, Brodeur,Munro,Underwood,---so many they may not even sign Kellerman,Ayers and Berkhoel .......but:

a) you can never have too many goalies (they become great trading assets)...
b) the Hawks will probably trade T-bo prior to the Crosby draft to gain extra ammo
to move up if they don't win that lotto (assuming season-long lock-out and
therefore this season's finish for that lotto),they will be offering a big package
if required to get the NEXTKY...goalie assets will be on the move to acquire more
players/picks to make this happen.....the nhl needs a restored hockey hotbed
in CHI --there will be lots happening to make this so.....with the lock-out some
goalies may just call it quits --especially if nobody wants to pay their multi-
million salaries under a Cap system---good young cheap goalies will be valuable
trading asets...you can never have too many goalies in the pipeline!

eh

Duff88 said:
Petteri Nokelainen... I only saw him in some Junior tournaments so I can't judge from his play in the Finnish leagues. He is quite big, something like 6'2/190, he delivered a couple of good hits but wasn't all that noticeable as I wasn't watching him really much. I heard quite some good things on him as he caught the eyes of a couple scouts in Finland. They say that he plays a good two-way game with a more agressive way than most europeans (More hits, go in the corner and in front of the net). I think that his biggest weakness is his lack of exposure in North-America.
He'll probably get more notice in the U18 WC in a couple of weeks, playing against adults in SM-liiga has to show when he plays against boys his own age for change. Same goes of course for Lauri Tukonen, whose team (Blues Espoo) was eliminated in the QFs of SM-liiga tonight.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Victor Alexandrov.

No Alexandrov in the 2nd round? I was kind of thinking he'd go between 45th to 60th, do you think he'd fall all the way to 90th? if he does, I bet the Wings will grab him.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Birko19 said:
No Alexandrov in the 2nd round? I was kind of thinking he'd go between 45th to 60th, do you think he'd fall all the way to 90th? if he does, I bet the Wings will grab him.

I'd rate him around 76-85, I'd be surprised to see him drop to 90th.

AE12

Dec 6, 2003
MI
Visit site
Pineault

Evilo said:
Thanks for the work.

My comments :

I don't see Pineault lasting that long. He's a first rounder IMO.
Radulov could be higher also.
Montoya is a top 15 pick IMO.
Schwarz is a top 10 guy also.
Thelen is too high.
I could see Phoenix pick Schremp rather than Wolski who I feel is picked too high on you list.
Overall a very good job. :handclap:

Pineault should be a 1st round pick despite the year at BC. Being on a stacked team has lessened his ice time, but is still considered a top talent.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
AE12 said:
Pineault should be a 1st round pick despite the year at BC. Being on a stacked team has lessened his ice time, but is still considered a top talent.
Thanks, my thinking too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad