Status
Not open for further replies.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
westcoast said:
This is my question. I thought the league specifically said if the Ducks were going for between 50-60 million they would buy the team themselves. :dunno: Wasn't there a quote or article on this?

LA Times is reporting it's 75 million.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Duff88 said:
Is there actually any chance they change the team's name?

Disney may continue to be the copyright owner of the name "The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim", because of the whole video franchaise and other Disney merchandaise that isn't NHL specific but very Disney specific and as such, there might be a stipulation in the contract to keep the name as is, so Disney can continue to make cash. Or the name could immediately be changed so that the team doesn't have to pay Disney money any longer.

Anyway, it assures that NHL hockey will remain in Anaheim for the forseeable future, which is a relief for many a Ducks fans. Also, all the Anaheim haters will need to think up new material.

Edit: As can be seen from the post above mine, the preliminary attempts at making fun of the Ducks so far are rather weak at best.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
PecaFan said:
Well, that pretty much lays to rest the tired old "They make all their money when the sell the team" refrain of the NHLPA and supporters.

Bought the team for $50 million, lost god knows how much cash over the last 10 years (probably $100+ million), and barely got their purchase price back.

link is http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=116161

Really. On Nov 29th, half way into the lockout with dire predictions from years before on how bad it was going to be, Forbes valued the Ducks at $108 million. They got about fifty cents on the Forbes dollar with this transaction.

Mike Ozanian of Forbes has been annointed the Larry Brooks/Al Strachan of financial reporters. Sadly, I'm sure many players bought in and have been misled as have many others. In my view, it is grossly irresponsible reporting and has been long before Nov 29th/04 when he wrote his article taking on Levitt without reviewing the teams' books.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
Kevin Forbes said:
Anyway, it assures that NHL hockey will remain in Anaheim for the forseeable future, which is a relief for many a Ducks fans. Also, all the Anaheim haters will need to think up new material.
:yo: as much as I love the Kings, I would hate to see The Ducks move. I love the rivalry and being able to follow two teams so closely. ;)

rwilson99

Pepper said:
Disney paid $50 million US for the Ducks to join the NHL as an expansion franchise in 1992. Samueli's offer reportedly was in the $50 to $60 million range.

Although the Ducks were Western Conference champions and went to the Stanley Cup final during the 2002-2003 season, Disney has had them on the market for years.

''We are confident that Henry and Susan Samueli will bring continued success to the Ducks and we will remain among the biggest fans of the team going forward,'' Disney chief executive Michael Eisner said.

There goes the PAs escalating franchise value argument. :lol

To compare, had Disney Invested 50 Million in a stock fund paying a paltry 5% a year. They would have walked away with a $94 Million+

OF course... they must have continued to hide hockey revenues to sell their team at such a price.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
If the team was sold for 75 million the league is going to quietly approve this.

This is great news for Duck fans!!!

Now that they have a billionaire owner who is commited to Orange County, all of you contraction and relocation people can pick on another team to move or get rid of. :teach:

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
McDonald19 said:
If the team was sold for 75 million the league is going to quietly approve this.

Now that they have a billionaire owner who is commited to Orange County, all of you contraction and relocation people can pick on another team to move or get rid of. :teach:
:bow: The only thing that could make me happier about this is if they were actually playing but somehow the future doesn't look so bleek for a So Cal Hockey fan.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Here is the LA TIMES Article.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-02...y?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

Samueli and his wife, Susan, purchased the team for more than $75 million, according to a source familiar with the negotiations. The deal includes Disney Ice, the Ducks' training facility in Anaheim. The NHL's board of governors must approve the deal.

In buying the team, Samueli fortifies the Arrowhead Pond, which is operated by his management company. The Ducks' lease with the arena allowed Disney to share in, and in some cases monopolize, revenue streams from non-hockey events.

By owning the Ducks, Samueli will now be able to pocket profits, provided the Ducks make money once play resumes after the current labor strife.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NHL should approve the sale since 75 million is reasonable considering were in a lockout. If it was 50 million maybe they wouldn't have.

Samueli now has full control of everything going on with the Arrowhead Pond, so this is great news for Ducks fans as the team will stay in Anaheim for a long time!!!

Pavel

Mar 1, 2004
Houston
The NHLPA should have dipped into it's "war chest" and bought the team. Then they could see how profitable it is to own a team in the current market.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
The announced figure is BS, as already suggested by the Times. Forbes isn't the only financial organisation that valued the Ducks at much higher than $50-60 million. Samueli isn't moving the team anywhere, either. He's firmly entrenched in Orange County. The engineering department at UC Irvine was his contribution (it's named after him). This is great news for Anaheim fans.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Pavel said:
The NHLPA should have dipped into it's "war chest" and bought the team. Then they could see how profitable it is to own a team in the current market.
That would just give the pro-owner side more to cry about.
I can just hear it,"damn NHLPA has so much money they can afford to buy teams now". :)

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Dirk316 said:
Since the name has been such a joke for so long they need to ditch the whole theme of Ducks altogether.

To me the name is fine as long as we load the team with enforcers who can beat the **** out of the other team. :D

j/k of course

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
McDonald19 said:

Trust me. Having a billionaire owner committed to staying in your town will NOT stop people's "contraction talk."

You're awarding them too much intelligence.

WrightOn

Feb 7, 2004
Ohio
Good news and a brilliant move by Samueli IMO. The timing of this should make him a hero and positive things will happen for Anaheim because of it. This is a positive amidst all this damn darkness.

:handclap:

Good for Anaheim!

fez

Oct 27, 2002
Auckland, NZ
www.auihc.tk
Kevin Forbes said:

Edit: As can be seen from the post above mine, the preliminary attempts at making fun of the Ducks so far are rather weak at best.

Amen!

:handclap:

Those have to be the weakest insults against the ducks ever and Ive seen a lot over the years.

PS

My 1000th post, woot!

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It's time for the Ducks to do a complete image overhaul. Change up the logo, the color scheme, the whole uniform getup has to go. It's a new era for the organization and it is time to disassociate the team from any ties with Disney. And please, no more Wild Wing.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Old Seals Logos ...

Oakland Seals 1969

logos.cgi

Oakland Seals 1970

oakland_seals_1970.gif

California Golden Seals 1973

calsea73.gif

California Golden Seals 1975

california_seals_1975.gif

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
Good for the ducks. Like others have said they're probably on a much better financial footing now that the same guy owns the arena and the team.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
nomorekids said:
Trust me. Having a billionaire owner committed to staying in your town will NOT stop people's "contraction talk."

You're awarding them too much intelligence.

Sad, but true.

Good for the fans in Anaheim, hopefully the sale is approved. I dont want the NHL making the Ducks the next Expos.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
leaflover said:
Thats might be a hard sell for merchandise.

"Ducks" is OK. Lets do a quick whip around.

So Ducks get beat up by Panthers, Hurricanes, Canucks, Habs, Senators, Kings, Flames, Rangers, Tyres with Wings, Coyotes, Oilers, Lightning, Bruins.

A Duck could beat up a Thrashers or a Maple Leaf.

WTF is Wild? Ducks are 50-50 in the Wild. Flyers?? Stars, never seen a Duck killed by a star yet so we'll call that even.

So a duck struggles against most of those other logos in real life but at least they can beat a couple of the wimpier logos.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
monkey_00 said:
Sounds like a great idea...........new name and new jerseys too..........and maybe instead of referring to them as Anaheim might be better to call them "California"...........California something.
They have something like a 20 year lease with the city of Anaheim and the terms of the lease is they are required to have Anaheim in the teams name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->