Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Rodwin Dionicio to ELC (3 years, $950k AAV)

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Based on his performance last season this is a good signing. It is still unclear how he will develop and if he ever will make to the NHL. But, at least at this point, he has promise, and that is a plus for a 5th round draft choice.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Great pick. Who knows if he pans out but at least there's certainly something.

So he goes to play in Swiss now? I thought he signed there as well. How many contracts he has? :laugh:

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
He has allegedly also signed with Biel-Bienne of the Swiss NLA for next season, according to Elite prospects. Strange.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
So he goes to play in Swiss now? I thought he signed there as well. How many contracts he has? :laugh:

Rodwin is making deals left and right. He likes to hustle.

He does have a deal with a Swiss team, though he could just as well play in the AHL. Dionicio is very enticing prospect with his skill set. Obvious faults as well. No need to rush him so hopefully he has time to work on his weaknesses wherever he plays.

Reactions: Kalv

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
You would assume his Switzerland deal would have an NHL contract opt out.

Wonder if his play since signing that deal has enticed Anaheim to send him to San Diego instead.

Reactions: Kalv

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
There is a transfer agreement between the NHL and the Swiss league, so they'll be probably some kindof compensation.

According to Biel, the Swiss team he signed, he will play in NA next season.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
There is a transfer agreement between the NHL and the Swiss league, so they'll be probably some kindof compensation.

According to Biel, the Swiss team he signed, he will play in NA next season.
Nice, so San Diego

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
He stood out to me at the rookie training camp last summer. Glad to see my "scouting" was correct. Hopefully, he turns into a solid NHLer. He's definitely already got the size.

Reactions: JabbaJabba and Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'm curious why Verbeek signed him this season b/c we still had an extra year to sign him, as per CapFriendly. Maybe he didn't want to potentially lose Hot Rod to the Swiss league completely if Hot Rod liked it there better or that Hot Rod could refuse to sign with the Ducks and go somewhere else? Are we getting rid or moving on from an LD or two this summer?

Also, just how young are we going to be in San Diego on the blue line?

RD Helleson is 23 years old.
LD Hinds is 21.
RD Warren will be 20 years old.
LD Hot Rod is 20 years old.
RD Luneau is 20 years old, but I dunno if he'll be in the AHL next season.

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'm curious why Verbeek signed him this season b/c we still had an extra year to sign him, as per CapFriendly. Maybe he didn't want to potentially lose Hot Rod to the Swiss league completely if Hot Rod liked it there better or that Hot Rod could refuse to sign with the Ducks and go somewhere else? Are we getting rid or moving on from an LD or two this summer?

Also, just how young are we going to be in San Diego on the blue line?

RD Helleson is 23 years old.
LD Hinds is 21.
RD Warren will be 20 years old.
LD Hot Rod is 20 years old.
RD Luneau is 20 years old, but I dunno if he'll be in the AHL next season.

Agreed. This one is definitely a head scratcher and the way it unfolded is as well. I have no clue why Dionicio signed a contract in Biel if he was gonna sign a contract in Anaheim shortly after anyway. When he announced that he doesn't have a desire to return to the OHL for an overager season he also said that he'd really like to join San Diego later in the season (which fell flat because he got traded to Saginaw). He then added that regarding next season both San Diego and Europe are good options for him. He said that he's gonna talk to the Ducks before making that decision. So I wonder what changed on either side or if it was just a misunderstanding?

I found his early signing in Biel to be curious. Him signing with Anaheim is even more curious because as you said, the Ducks were in no hurry to sign him. I also think that Dionicio is actually exactly the type of player who could have benefitted a lot from a year or two at the highest level of European pro hockey. He played junior hockey in Switzerland but that's a completely different cup of tea. I feel like one of Dionicio's biggest weaknesses is and will always be mobility against the puck. He's become fairly mobile for his size and at least in the OHL his skating with the puck has been fantastic. However, when it comes to defending against fast and skilled forwards, I think there's still room for improvement. I'm not saying that playing AHL is generally easier than playing in Europe but for players like Dionicio it might be. Refing is less strict than in Europe and there's less space for forwards to skate around him so Dionicio in many cases will be able to just run over his opponents rather than having to actually move left or right. Lian Bichsel is a similar type of player with similar weaknesses who I think made a smart choice to return to Europe while he didn't have a shot at the NHL.

Now it would of course still be possible for Dionicio to return to Switzerland after getting cut from camp but a statement released by Biel indicates that that's probably not the plan. Would also be kinda stupid by the Ducks to waste a contract slot for no particular reason. Now you can make the argument that the signing in Biel is basically irrelevant but in my view it isn't. Should he, for whatever reason, want or have to leave North America for Europe within the next three years then he'll have to honor his contract in Biel. Which isn't ideal. He's likely always gonna get good contract offers out of Europe. The situation in Biel might have been perfect for him now but that can change anytime. You always wanna be able to choose your destination and he wouldn't. Let's hope it's all gonna work out for him in San Diego and (hopefully) in Anaheim as well so he won't have to worry about that. Still, it's a strange story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad