Ducks set sales record during Game 5

mooseOAK*

There are a lot of people with a lot of money in that area.

Mr Underhill

Jan 25, 2007
Good for them. At least 2 out of 3 of the last winners (Anahiem, Tampa) will continue with a good fan base. Even though the ratings are down, growth like this in non traditional markets is great. When the NHL get their national attention back it will be stronger than ever due to support from markets like these.

GSC2k2*

Good for them. At least 2 out of 3 of the last winners (Anahiem, Tampa) will continue with a good fan base. Even though the ratings are down, growth like this in non traditional markets is great. When the NHL get their national attention back it will be stronger than ever due to support from markets like these.
Carolina experienced extremely strong growth too, so that makes it 3 of 3.

AgentNaslund*

Anahiem is not a traditional hockey market, but they were always stronger then Carolina.

Silver

Mar 23, 2002
California
Visit site
Huge bandwagon effect in this area. It will be interesting to see how the Ducks draw when they aren't one of the top teams in the league. I don't think we'll be able to draw any long term conclusions until then.

Jazz

Huge bandwagon effect in this area. It will be interesting to see how the Ducks draw when they aren't one of the top teams in the league. I don't think we'll be able to draw any long term conclusions until then.
That doesn't matter.

The team will be good in the foreseeable future - thus youth hockey will increase in the area in the meantime, and this will go towards establishing stronger hockey roots within the sports culture in OC.

Silver

Mar 23, 2002
California
Visit site
That doesn't matter.

The team will be good in the foreseeable future - thus youth hockey will increase in the area in the meantime, and this will go towards establishing stronger hockey roots within the sports culture in OC.

Yeah, that's what they said about the Kings too. Didn't happen.

5 years ago Lakers tickets were gold...now, not so much.

Jazz

This should be different than the Kings.

The Kings, while they had a couple of good seasons under Gretzky, only had 1 extended playoff run in 1993, they they followed that up by not making the playoffs for the next 5 years. The Ducks have have 2 consecutive final-4 appearances and should content next year and at least the year after that.

Sustained good results over a period of a few years will help more than a one-hit wonder.

Silver

Mar 23, 2002
California
Visit site
This should be different than the Kings.

The Kings, while they had a couple of good seasons under Gretzky, only had 1 extended playoff run in 1993, they they followed that up by not making the playoffs for the next 5 years. The Ducks have have 2 consecutive final-4 appearances and should content next year and at least the year after that.

Sustained good results over a period of a few years will help more than a one-hit wonder.

Do you know how many sheets of ice there are in Orange County? I'd be willing to bet that it's pretty close to the number of rinks that Chilliwack has. Their just isn't a ton of room for growth here.

(I think we have between 6-8...and those aren't exclusively for hockey use.)

canes-sth

Feb 21, 2005
I imagine that much of these sales were of Cup Champion merchandise. The lopsided nature of the game probably allowed them to stage and sell that merchandise right away.

I think the Canes team store in the arena (which is small unfortunately) had limited merchandise the night of the win. But the place was packed for weeks afterward.

WesMantooth

Jan 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Do you know how many sheets of ice there are in Orange County? I'd be willing to bet that it's pretty close to the number of rinks that Chilliwack has. Their just isn't a ton of room for growth here.

In Pittsburgh, I started playing ice hockey when I was in 8th grade in 1992, the year the Pens won their 2nd cup. At the time, there were only a handful of rinks in the area.

Since then, many of those rinks have added a 2nd or even 3rd sheet of ice, and serveral new multi-rink facilities have been built just to handle the demand.

Not to mention that the talent level and intensity of Varsity hockey has increased dramatically since I've played. (I now coach, so I know) The University of Pittsburgh hockey team went from a virtual non-entity to now being an ACHA D-I team with a D-III team. And if you go to a Pens game today, you'll see that the arena is completely filled with people in their 20s and 30s.

All of this can be directly attributed to those great teams of the 90s. And with Sidney Crosby in Pittsburgh for the next 20 years (hopefully), it's just going to keep getting better and better here.

So don't underestimate the impact some great NHL hockey can have on a sport within a community.

In fact, I would say that this would be a great time for an entrepreneur to invest in a new rink in Anaheim.

WesMantooth

Jan 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
In Pittsburgh, I started playing ice hockey when I was in 8th grade in 1992, the year the Pens won their 2nd cup. At the time, there were only a handful of rinks in the area.

Since then, many of those rinks have added a 2nd or even 3rd sheet of ice, and serveral new multi-rink facilities have been built just to handle the demand.

Not to mention that the talent level and intensity of Varsity hockey has increased dramatically since I've played. (I now coach, so I know) The University of Pittsburgh hockey team went from a virtual non-entity to now being an ACHA D-I team with a D-III team. And if you go to a Pens game today, you'll see that the arena is completely filled with people in their 20s and 30s.

All of this can be directly attributed to those great teams of the 90s. And with Sidney Crosby in Pittsburgh for the next 20 years (hopefully), it's just going to keep getting better and better here.

So don't underestimate the impact some great NHL hockey can have on a sport within a community.

In fact, I would say that this would be a great time for an entrepreneur to invest in a new rink in Anaheim.
Ok, I did a little research...

In 1990, there were 7 sheets of ice in the greater Pittsburgh Area.

In 2000, there were 21 sheets of ice (2 old rinks closed, 18 new sheets at 9 new facilities, 1 old rink completely renovated)

In 2007, there are now 27 sheets of ice (2 added a 3rd rink, and 4 new sheets at 2 new facilities)

Stanley Cups = Rink Growth

Davey Duck

Mar 26, 2006
*Stolen from Detroit

The Kings (91.1% capacity, 17K/game) and the Lakers (99.6%, 19K/game) aren't exactly hurting for fans right now. Heck, you can even look at the Angels (90.7%, 40.5K/game) and the Dodgers (80.4%, 45K/game) or even the freaking Clippers are at 96.6%, 18.5K/game!

Considering the Angels and the Lakers are the only teams on the list that have won anything recently, the LA/OC area is in pretty good shape. The Angels number in particular shows how winning a championship and staying a contender has an effect on a team here even 4 years later. The year before their chamionship, they were at 63% capacity.

go-dog-go

professional lurker
Mar 19, 2007
Anahiem is not a traditional hockey market, but they were always stronger then Carolina.

Stronger how?

Playoff appearances?

ANA 5 out of 13 seasons
CAR 4 out of 9

Stanley Cups won?

ANA 1
CAR 1

Stanley Cup appearances?

ANA 2
CAR 2

Attendance?

by # fans in seats, NHL rank, as per ESPN

00-01 ANA 28 CAR 29
01-02 CAR 24 ANA 30
02-03 CAR 19 ANA 26
03-04 ANA 23 CAR 29
04-05 no season
05-06 CAR 21 ANA 25
06-07 CAR 15 ANA 20

if anything these numbers indicate that these two (non traditional hockey market) franchiases that are just about equal in these areas. Anaheim should get a boost with attendence next year, they shouldn't have any problem getting out of the bottom third in attendance, as Carolina's boost last year.

The one thing that ANA, CAR, and TAM are definately doing is pissing off a lot of people who hate to see teams in warm weather cities win the Cup.

Sources:
http://hockeydb.com/index.html
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/statistics

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006

In 2000, there were 21 sheets of ice (2 old rinks closed, 18 new sheets at 9 new facilities, 1 old rink completely renovated)

In 2007, there are now 27 sheets of ice (2 added a 3rd rink, and 4 new sheets at 2 new facilities)

i wonder what the numbers are for NJ...the number of HIGH SCHOOL hockey teams has increased dramatically over the past 10 years.

the Prudential Center will have a practice rink that will be open to the public and for a Newark area high school team to use. while most of the teams are in the north, HS teams are popping up more and more in the South

jsginsocal

Feb 1, 2007
Orange County, CA

There is definitely at least 10 rinks in Orange County. Most of the ice skating facilities have more then 1 rink.
Besides, you don't need an ice rink for growth. For the first time since I've lived in Orange County (3 years) I have seen young kids playing roller hockey in the neighborhood streets. Pretty cool.

coolguy21415

Jul 17, 2003
Is that because all the fans had to go and buy jerseys because they didn't own one prior to that?

Actually, I wonder if the store stocked championship merchandise when they won. That might explain it if people could buy stuff that said "Stanley Cup Champs" on it.

Raoul Duke*

Thank you man. I wanted to say it myself, but it'd come across as just a random jerk Canadian "elitist" comment.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

There was a similar growth here when the Avalanche won their first Cup in 1996. And working with the local youth hockey organizations, the number of interested kids increased dramatically.

We also increased the number of ACHA club-level college teams in the region; if I recall correctly, when the Avs came here, it was just CU and CSU. Now it's the two of us (we've got three ACHA teams at CU alone!) plus maybe eight other Denver-area schools with teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad