Ducks punishing Tim Brent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

Tim Brent was on the Fan 590 this morning and says the Mighty Ducks are offering less now than they were before the June deadline to sign 2002 draft picks. He says that they're in negotiations, but sounds extremely upset that management is offering less now than they were back in May.

It sounds like the WHA (Halifax) is an option for him. Possibly even another OHL season as an overaged player. Tim says he spoke to 15 NHL teams before the draft, but he never expected to be back with Anaheim.

He sounds like a very depressed guy.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Leafaholix said:
Tim Brent was on the Fan 590 this morning and says the Mighty Ducks are offering less now than they were before the June deadline to sign 2002 draft picks. He says that they're in negotiations, but sounds extremely upset that management is offering less now than they were back in May.

It sounds like the WHA (Halifax) is an option for him. Possibly even another OHL season as an overaged player. Tim says he spoke to 15 NHL teams before the draft, but he never expected to be back with Anaheim.

He sounds like a very depressed guy.

He was an early second in '02, but now is a mid-third... why wouldn't the Ducks dial down their offer? Tough luck, Timmay.

leafaholix*

sveiglar said:
He was an early second in '02, but now is a mid-third... why wouldn't the Ducks dial down their offer? Tough luck, Timmay.
If they wanted him, they'd offer him what they offered in May. He's the same player as he was 3 months ago... so they're low balling him.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Leafaholix said:
If they wanted him, they'd offer him what they offered in May. He's the same player as he was 3 months ago... so they're low balling him.

Except that he has less leverage now being a lower pick. It's just business...

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The kid gambled, and he lost. Yes, the CBA gives him the right to refuse contract offers from the team that drafted him, and yes, he has the right to enter the draft once two years have passed, but that hardline approach on the player's part brings with it certain risks. Namely, while he might get taken at around the same place and get a deal done with a different team, he might also fall and take a hit in terms of his net worth.

If you fall, you are most definitely not the same player you were before. The ephemeral potential of an early second rounder is worth a certain amount of money; a mid-third rounder is worth less, selected about 40 places later. A lot of teams passed on Brent -- three times at that -- before he was picked up by the Mighty Ducks. That fact erodes his value.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
OneSpeedOnly said:
I fell sorry for him getting picked by the Ducks again who have no intention of showing any integrity at all.
Yeah, teams that have to deal with arbitrations, hold outs, draft re-entries, are the bad guys.

If the deal was good enough, he should have signed it back in May.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Tough luck Tim Brent. For a guy who's supposed to be a heart and soul type of player (and from my watching him, he is), he sure seems to be whining about money a lot, even before he has any.

The Senators did the same thing with Mathieu Chouinard. They couldn't reach a deal with him back in 2000, so they let him re-enter. They used the compensation pick they recieved for letting him re-enter to re-select him. Nothing lost, nothing gained for the Senators. Chouinard lost, as just like Brent, he got a lesser offer than the one he rejected before the draft.

If Brent is mad at somebody, he should be mad at his agent. Prospects get their first contract based on where they go in the draft. Brent gambled, lost, and if he thinks that previous offer was fair, he should have taken it earlier.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Hossa said:
If Brent is mad at somebody, he should be mad at his agent. Prospects get their first contract based on where they go in the draft. Brent gambled, lost, and if he thinks that previous offer was fair, he should have taken it earlier.

Agents often seem to care better for their own reputation that for their players...

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Guess Brent is expriencing the business side of the sport.....

Why should Anahiem offer the same money Brent turned prior to the draft? Like someone said before, he gambled and lost...if he didnt see this as a possibilty of re-entering then thats his agent's fault

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think it's a smart move by the Ducks to offer less money. With a CBA on the way that should surely effect rookie contracts, and the fact that he was selected later in the draft, he should get less.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
DaveyCrockett said:
I applaud the Ducks for playing hardball.

As do I, I just wish it was against a guy who you can't help but like. Why couldn't this have happened to say, Vagner? Ohh wait, it may :)

Sammy*

Leafaholix said:
So tell me, I guess in your world there should be no downside for a player not signing when they have an offer? The offers should only get better, or at least the same? Yep, I am sure if Brent was an early or mid first rounder in his redraft his agent would be asking for the same $$ as he was before. :shakehead :shakehead

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
He should absolutely be offered less. What would he expect? Was he not told that it almost always happens that way when you go back into the draft?

It sounds like Brent's being a little naive about the whole thing.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
If the original offer is good enough now, Brent should have taken it then.

On the other hand, the Canucks pull a vindictive move too. It cost them a third rounder to reacquire the sameguy they had before? So in the end they'll save a couple hundred K, burn two draft choices and 3 years--and maybe even derail the kid's development. Makes no sense all the way around.

Advice to Burke: Go ahead and trade the guy so he and your organization can move ahead. This is nonsense. (ps: you look like a ***** and the rest of the NHL players are watching).

Advice to Brent: Fire your agent, he gave you bad, bad advice. Push for a trade or take what you can and start your career.

I would hate to be this kid now, or Burke when he is trying to talk to UFAs.

I would love to see the renegotiation if this kid turns out to be special!

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
dunwoody_joe said:
If the original offer is good enough now, Brent should have taken it then.

On the other hand, the Canucks pull a vindictive move too. It cost them a third rounder to reacquire the sameguy they had before? So in the end they'll save a couple hundred K, burn two draft choices and 3 years--and maybe even derail the kid's development. Makes no sense all the way around.

Advice to Burke: Go ahead and trade the guy so he and your organization can move ahead. This is nonsense. (ps: you look like a ***** and the rest of the NHL players are watching).

Advice to Brent: Fire your agent, he gave you bad, bad advice. Push for a trade or take what you can and start your career.

I would hate to be this kid now, or Burke when he is trying to talk to UFAs.

I would love to see the renegotiation if this kid turns out to be special!

Are you confused?

First of all, Brian Burke is no longer the GM of the Canucks, Dave Nonis now holds that title. Burke's only contract is with HNIC.

More importantly, Brent is a Ducks prospect. Vancouver just has nothing to do with this.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I've said this many times: Tim, fire your agent! He knew the risks of re-entering the draft, and he should've figured that you'd end up getting less money as you'd probably go lower. His agent wasn't wrong for it, but now Tim is really losing some money. Brent should get a new agent, try and get something in-between the offer he got in May and the one now, and go from there. Otherwise, he should realize that he's not going to get a better offer elsewhere, accept this one, and just leave it.

Vagner, OTOH, really got screwed. He went from a first rounder IIRC to a ninth rounder, so he'll never get anything close to what Dallas was offering, if they offered anything(I don't know if they did or not). He really oughta sack the agent.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
Hercules Rockefeller said:
Vagner, OTOH, really got screwed. He went from a first rounder IIRC to a ninth rounder, so he'll never get anything close to what Dallas was offering, if they offered anything(I don't know if they did or not). He really oughta sack the agent.

Vagner didn't even get close to a contract.

As for Brent. I be the reason he fell down to the 3rd was because teams didn't want to get into a huge fight with his agent. If he was really aksing for 1st round money he really priced himself down the draft.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Fan.At said:
Agents often seem to care better for their own reputation that for their players...
Well, this isn't exactly boosting that pretty reputation of his agent.

I side with the Ducks in this matter.

I'll once again borrow a quote from Bob Sugar, "this isn't show friends, this is show biz."

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
OneSpeedOnly said:
I fell sorry for him getting picked by the Ducks again who have no intention of showing any integrity at all.

The Ducks arent showing any integrity at all in this? Why should they offer the guy 2nd round money when he rentered was selected in the 3rd round, shouldnt he get 3rd round money. If Brent is dissapointed the Ducks arent offering the same money, then he should have signed that contract back in May. Brent gambled and lost. He is the same player he was back in May, but taken a round later. And should now be receiving 3rd round money. I am a Ducks fan, but if I wasnt would agree with the Ducks in this situation.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
One can certainly understand why he is being offered less. Business is business, he had the leverage in May, Ducks have it in July. This whole thing doesn't reflect good on either party. Brent gets an image of a sore loser, who gambled and lost. At the same time Ducks behaviour can be described as vindictive, did they *have* to pick him again?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Leafaholix said:

It's more like they're giving him a taste of his own lowly, pukey medicine.

He made them lose a pick. There is no way they should offer him as much. If he liked that offer, he should have had the sense to accept it then and avoid for his team to have to waste another pick on this greedy punk.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
shveik said:
One can certainly understand why he is being offered less. Business is business, he had the leverage in May, Ducks have it in July. This whole thing doesn't reflect good on either party. Brent gets an image of a sore loser, who gambled and lost. At the same time Ducks behaviour can be described as vindictive, did they *have* to pick him again?

Probably not, but if they liked him best on board at this point, why not?

You can get along with a player on the ice but not with him and his agent at the office.

Obviously they know him more than anybody else. With prospects it's a crapshoot and the reason why year after year there are players taken at spots that aren't concencus is often due to familiarity.

I think they were just happy not to gamble and get a player they know well. IMO, Brent can be flattered that they took interest in him again and it reflects well on him. But that doesn't mean they should open the bank for him.

He should have signed months ago. He would have had more money and his team would be stronger by one asset. He is at fault in this. Him and whatever lowly rat represents him.

Munchausen

Hossa said:
If Brent is mad at somebody, he should be mad at his agent.

Absolutely. And if Brent had been picked higher, this same agent wouldn't have hesitated to play the draft position card to up the value of his client. Can't have it both ways.

Brent looks like one hell of a moron for contesting the new offer. Either he was misinformed by his agent or is one greedy puke. It was a gamble and a 5yo could have figured this little scenario was bound to happen if he fell further down the draft.

I have zero sympathy for Brent. Live and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad