Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Discussion 2017/18 - part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Having 3 players in Memorial Cup would be ideal. But only 1 is in there now, let`s hope for others to get in. Are the playoffs far away for CHL?

Goaltois sure looks damn promising, what a season he is having. Like I have said before, unlike Ritchie, Jones and even Etem - I saw Comtois using much more brain in the WJC than probably they all 3 aforementioned combined when they were there. That gives me a high hope that he is not just a big body with speed and physicality again, to just dominate in the juniors.
Next year is tricky, I`m sure he can`t play in the AHL, I strongly doubt he would be ready for NHL fulltime, so he would probably have to go back to Q, yes?

Steel and Mahura will both play in the Memorial Cup.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
So who had comtois with more points thay sam steel this year?

When it come to Junior, points matter, but I also think it is important to look at player point totals relative to players on their team. In junior, the talent level between teams or even lines is so vastly different that points can be incredibly inflated or deflated depending on line mates.

What I like about Steel is he is the guy. He leads his team in points because he drives the offense. Last year he had better linemates and they dominated so he had huge point totals, while this year his linemates aren't as good, but he is still leading his team in points. Comtois is having a phenomenal year, and I am very impressed by him, but I am always concerned when a player is putting up tons of points in junior, but isn't the "guy" - that would be Vitaly Abramov. The list is just so long of players who put up very high point totals as the secondary guy, but didnt do much when on their own. Note: I am not saying that Comtois will fall into that mold, but I just tend to be more optimistic about guys who undoubtedly drive the offense in junior.

The flip side of Comtois, would be Antoine Morand. He doesn't have nearly the point total of Comtois, but is leading his team in scoring. He seems like a guy who could be having a better year than discussed, but is simply playing for a team with little offense, so he doesn't have the staggering numbers.

Reactions: AngelDuck and Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
When it come to Junior, points matter, but I also think it is important to look at player point totals relative to players on their team. In junior, the talent level between teams or even lines is so vastly different that points can be incredibly inflated or deflated depending on line mates.

What I like about Steel is he is the guy. He leads his team in points because he drives the offense. Last year he had better linemates and they dominated so he had huge point totals, while this year his linemates aren't as good, but he is still leading his team in points. Comtois is having a phenomenal year, and I am very impressed by him, but I am always concerned when a player is putting up tons of points in junior, but isn't the "guy" - that would be Vitaly Abramov. The list is just so long of players who put up very high point totals as the secondary guy, but didnt do much when on their own. Note: I am not saying that Comtois will fall into that mold, but I just tend to be more optimistic about guys who undoubtedly drive the offense in junior.

The flip side of Comtois, would be Antoine Morand. He doesn't have nearly the point total of Comtois, but is leading his team in scoring. He seems like a guy who could be having a better year than discussed, but is simply playing for a team with little offense, so he doesn't have the staggering numbers.
Legit concern. But there can be the case where there are multiple good players. An exampl in the same Q is McKinnon and Drouin. There were long debates who is the better one but they are both really good players (Nate is better tho).
As for Abramov, his point totals are amazing there, but he didn`t seem to score much in WJC, and he is undersized, thus being some concerns for his translation to pro`s.

Also, I don`t expect Comtois to become Rakell or something, I don`t think he has that much in him. But any offensive output is good to see from him. What I like most about him is that he seem to be able to play a good all-around game.

PS
Good point @alcolol . I forgot about Mahura :facepalm:

Kopacka and Comtois in the tournament too, would be outstanding.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, the point total's are a bit deceiving. If you watched Steel play in the Memorial Cup last year, it was obvious his teammates were killing his production. Injuries took out his normal line mates, and their replacements couldn't finish whatsoever. He was setting up guys constantly for Grade A chances and open nets, only for the guys he set up to not come through. He was getting 1-2 points a game and easily should have been between 3-4. This year he started off really slow, about 1 pt a game, but much of that was his new linemates and getting chemistry with them. The second half of the season he's kicked it up a notch and been producing multi point games nightly.

Comtois is another one of those sneaky second round picks from Murray. Has a chance to be a real player. Big guy whose driving plays offensively. I don't know a huge amount about him, but I know he was expected to be a top 15 pick when he first got to the Q, but didn't have the best season during his draft year. He has a chance to be really good and I can't wait to see more of him.

Reactions: KEEROLE Vatanen

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Comtois was projected in the top 3 by a lot of scouts.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It really would. Comtois wound up 58th on his final rankings so he really soured on him. I wonder if he's gone back on any of that.

I don't follow these guys in any detail, but wasn't Comtois ranked as a high 1st rounder at the beginning of his draft season by most analysts? And then didn't he somehow fall in most analysts eyes? Seems like it wasn't just Button. Something about him, his health, or his game noticeably changed.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I remember him pretty much being a consensus top 5 pick, but his production regressed the next year -- probably scared a lot of people off. Really glad that that wasn't us.

Sam Steel was another one of those guys -- I believe he was also a potential top 5 pick at the beginning of the year, but he didn't blow the world away in his draft year, so he ended up dropping to us.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't follow these guys in any detail, but wasn't Comtois ranked as a high 1st rounder at the beginning of his draft season by most analysts? And then didn't he somehow fall in most analysts eyes? Seems like it wasn't just Button. Something about him, his health, or his game noticeably changed.
Wasn't morand pretty high in predraft rankings too? I like both picks a lot... comtois has a great skillset and he isn't 1 dimensional either... he seems to have a good IQ/positioning and can make plays as good as he can score goals.

I havnt gotten to see much of morand so cant comment too much, but skilled players are the way to go now and he seems to fit the mold.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Wasn't morand pretty high in predraft rankings too? I like both picks a lot... comtois has a great skillset and he isn't 1 dimensional either... he seems to have a good IQ/positioning and can make plays as good as he can score goals.

I havnt gotten to see much of morand so cant comment too much, but skilled players are the way to go now and he seems to fit the mold.

Morand was 25th on Button's list and didn't make McKenzie's preseason top 15, on which Comtois was 4th.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Morand was 25th on Button's list and didn't make McKenzie's preseason top 15, on which Comtois was 4th.
Considering we got them at the 50th and 60th picks... that's a pretty good haul.

Badini seems like an okay late pick/ I think there is a lot of potential in him for development, havnt heard anything on kyle olson, but I love the Erickson-ek pick.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Curious, Who do you guys think our top prospects closest comparables are? I'll try to start with a few:

Sam Steel - Backstrom/Giroux hybrid
Josh Mahura - TJ Brodie
Max Jones - Michael Ferland

No clue who Comtois and Morand compare to

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Jones seems closer to Kreider or Miles Wood (not as fast?) than Ferland to me. Ferland seems like more of a Beleskey clone.

This may be off, but what I've seen of Mahura (highlights) reminds me a little of Ekholm.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Comtois reminds me of Mark Stone with some Maroon thrown in. Morand is tough for me because he always seems to have quiet games when I watch him.

Reactions: AngelDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Jones seems closer to Kreider or Miles Wood (not as fast?) than Ferland to me. Ferland seems like more of a Beleskey clone.

This may be off, but what I've seen of Mahura (highlights) reminds me a little of Ekholm.
I like the Kreider comp for Jones, but I would not be that disappointed at this point if jones became a Ferland/Beleskey type.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I haven’t seen Morand play much other than highlights, but maybe similar to Mathieu Perrault?

Reactions: Getz2perry

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I like the Kreider comp for Jones, but I would not be that disappointed at this point if jones became a Ferland/Beleskey type.
Neither would I, it was more about their style though, I don't think Ferkland/Bels can skate like Jones.

Oct 18, 2011
The ducks have hit on a couple of guys who were supposed to be high picks.

Mahura was projected as a first rounder before his draft year but his knee injury caused his stock to fall. He has performed as a first rounder since being drafted and has all the tools to be a top 4 dman.

Comtois had a mediocre year for whatever reason and has bounced back into the player he was projected to be. Are his stats inflated by his team, most likely but that doesn't take away from how well he's played. His ceiling might be higher than we think

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
The ducks have hit on a couple of guys who were supposed to be high picks.

Mahura was projected as a first rounder before his draft year but his knee injury caused his stock to fall. He has performed as a first rounder since being drafted and has all the tools to be a top 4 dman.

Comtois had a mediocre year for whatever reason and has bounced back into the player he was projected to be. Are his stats inflated by his team, most likely but that doesn't take away from how well he's played. His ceiling might be higher than we think

In NHL 17, he always went as a top 5 low elite player in the GM mode. I want to believe that is still his ceiling.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I think Low Elite would be pretty accurate for him in terms of EA NHL potential -- that's usually a solid middle six player with a small chance of becoming a good top line forward.

(speaking of Comtois, he's at 1+1 right now -- the Tigres are up 5-2 in the late 3rd)

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
The Pats defeat Swift Current 3-2 in OT, highlights here. The game ended up being a playoff preview, as the result now sets up a Swift Current - Regina matchup in the first round. Rematch of last year's 2nd round, where the Pats were able to put the Broncos away in game 7.

VERY tough road ahead for Regina. SC is a top-tier team this year, plus if they get past them, they likely face WHL-leading Moose Jaw in the second round. The Pats would basically have to go through the best in the league, just to advance into the conference finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad