Confirmed with Link: Ducks officially name Randy Carlyle head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I on the other hand am disappointed that this isn't being bumped with news of his moving to the front office, which is what I expected.
Don't give up hope, it's early. As I said elsewhere, in hindsight I really think getting swept like this puts more pressure on Bob for a change, than if we had just missed the playoffs (due to injuries no doubt) where we could have pretended RC's warriors would have fought fiercely for the cup.

This team was only missing Fowler in the playoffs and looked awful. Fowler wasn't going to save them and now the whole world knows we need a change. The pressure has been ratcheted up on Bob. I like it.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
We need Travis Green obviously that would have made a big difference.
It's clear unlike last season this old squad has a chance to heal and if Murray actually gets a physical dman to play with Fowler this team will be better next season

I don't get this Greenmania. He has not nearly achieved what Gallant has done. So why is he the next big thing?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Don't give up hope, it's early. As I said elsewhere, in hindsight I really think getting swept like this puts more pressure on Bob for a change, than if we had just missed the playoffs (due to injuries no doubt) where we could have pretended RC's warriors would have fought fiercely for the cup.

This team was only missing Fowler in the playoffs and looked awful. Fowler wasn't going to save them and now the whole world knows we need a change. The pressure has been ratcheted up on Bob. I like it.

Yeah Fowler may have helped stop the bleeding a bitnbut it would have been a sweep either way. And that’s not even factoring in that one of SJ’s top 3 forwards was missing also.

Hopefully this a wake up call for Murray and Carlyle is held responsible.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
The team is aging and beat up from last season and injuries is that not clear?
Carlyle has developed the youth this board loves this much. Kase, Ritchie, Montour, Petersson etc.
The sharks were the healthier team period the Ducks were not out coached whatsoever.
If Anaheim had added Kane and Cole this series would have ended up differently.
Next season Kesler and Getzlaf have plenty of time to recover and start the season healthy . This team's needs to go back to the hard hitting style

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Carlyle has developed the youth this board loves this much. Kase, Ritchie, Montour, Petersson etc.
The sharks were the healthier team period the Ducks were not out coached whatsoever.
Next season Kesler and Getzlaf have plenty of time to recover and start the season healthy . This team's needs to go back to the hard hitting style

Yes he has done a fine job of developing Ritchie into a 30 point Neanderthal and neutering any creative players.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
We need Travis Green obviously that would have made a big difference.
It's clear unlike last season this old squad has a chance to heal and if Murray actually gets a physical dman to play with Fowler this team will be better next season

EDIT: Ignore. I see your post ^ now. Thanks

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
The Dirk spin is quite amazing. I think RC could strap on a uniform and play over a benched Fowler and Lindholm even though he is 62 years old and Dirk would still tell us it was a great move because he would be leading by example.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
The Dirk spin is quite amazing. I think RC could strap on a uniform and play over a benched Fowler and Lindholm even though he is 62 years old and Dirk would still tell us it was a great move because he would be leading by example.

Randy has a Norris doesn't he? Fowler and Lindholm (and especially MONTOUR) should watch and learn!

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

You cant be serious... RC system is outdated... san jose exposed it bad

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
He is serious! RC can do no wrong and we should just bask in the glow of the title his team won 11 years ago playing with several hall of famers.

I’m sure having several hall of fame players didn’t have anything to do with it.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Dirk is the Ducks version of the Iraqi information minister.

qmqzZ6x.jpg

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
I have no problem with remaining physical (physical doesn't necessarily = slow) we just need to not dump and chase every single time we enter the offensive zone. Mixing it up might make for a pretty solid offensive system actually. When the Ducks see the other team starting to cheat and leaving 2 defense men behind their net, don't ring the puck around the boards, skate towards a corner and pass the puck back to a wide open slot. (slot occupied by a defender instead of having them both sit on the blueline) If the slot isn't open, then that means in front of the crease isn't protected, there should be some 1 to make a pass to, SJ should not win a series 4-0 when their defense spends the whole game behind their own net, and their forwards just collapse and play passively.

Reactions: SirQuacksAlot

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

San Jose were missing Thornton. Both teams had injury issues.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I have no problem with remaining physical (physical doesn't necessarily = slow) we just need to not dump and chase every single time we enter the offensive zone. Mixing it up might make for a pretty solid offensive system actually. When the Ducks see the other team starting to cheat and leaving 2 defense men behind their net, don't ring the puck around the boards, skate towards a corner and pass the puck back to a wide open slot. (slot occupied by a defender instead of having them both sit on the blueline) If the slot isn't open, then that means in front of the crease isn't protected, there should be some 1 to make a pass to, SJ should not win a series 4-0 when their defense spends the whole game behind their own net, and their forwards just collapse and play passively.
You're wanting your cake and eating it too. If physicality is a premium skillset for your team, then it isn't a team based on speed. Pick one or the other. It's OK to have some larger players if you move to a speed game, but your game has to emphasize speed or grinding. There is no middle ground.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Your ability to spin a clear and outright disaster of a season into a positive is outstanding, you should work in politics.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Your ability to spin a clear and outright disaster of a season into a positive is outstanding, you should work in politics.

Clear and outright disaster? Good Lord, thats way worse than anything dirk said.

Anyways, I think Randy's a decent coach(and a really good bad team coach) and some of the critiques are definitely eye-roll worthy, but I hope he moves into the front office or something. I think I mentioned in this thread that I had optimism he would do better with his fourth lines (mostly based off of an inaccurate reading of the icetimes from 2006) but that's become very clear thats not the case. And maybe that would work in other places but between our aging players up top and younger guys knocking at the door, thats just not really going to work here. Collapsing like he does probably also is not a great fit with our wingers.

For the guys that badly want him gone, this season ended well in that regard. Miss the playoffs and that becomes a huge what-if and it's easy to just call the year a write-off and try again next year. But to hit 100 points, have home ice, and for there to be a pretty clear bad coaching job in the playoffs, thats pretty tough to ignore. Bob's pretty unpredictable with these things but I think there's a good chance he won't be back.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Clear and outright disaster? Good Lord, thats way worse than anything dirk said.

Anyways, I think Randy's a decent coach(and a really good bad team coach) and some of the critiques are definitely eye-roll worthy, but I hope he moves into the front office or something. I think I mentioned in this thread that I had optimism he would do better with his fourth lines (mostly based off of an inaccurate reading of the icetimes from 2006) but that's become very clear thats not the case. And maybe that would work in other places but between our aging players up top and younger guys knocking at the door, thats just not really going to work here. Collapsing like he does probably also is not a great fit with our wingers.

For the guys that badly want him gone, this season ended well in that regard. Miss the playoffs and that becomes a huge what-if and it's easy to just call the year a write-off and try again next year. But to hit 100 points, have home ice, and for there to be a pretty clear bad coaching job in the playoffs, thats pretty tough to ignore. Bob's pretty unpredictable with these things but I think there's a good chance he won't be back.
This season was awful all the way from the start of the season up until the end. There was very little reason to watch this team this year, due to injuries to key players, boring coaching style, and the team constantly only giving 20 minute efforts (I wonder just how many times they said they needed to play a full 60 minutes was). I seriously can't believe anyone still thinks RC is a decent coach either. This last series showed how bad of a coach and his system really is in the modern NHL.

Gibson and Miller and a few players playing above their pay-grade helped keep us afloat until Getz came back; even then we still needed Gibson to carry us (since our offense dried up and our defense floundered). A good coach shouldn't need their goalie to carry their team the entire season plus the playoffs. The last month our schedule was actually fairly easy, a bunch of non playoff teams and a few playoff teams that are considered weak; that absolutely helped us get reach 100 points while also just cementing us losing on away ice instead of home ice. I'm totally comfortable calling this season a disaster, one you try to forget.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
This season was awful all the way from the start of the season up until the end. There was very little reason to watch this team this year, due to injuries to key players, boring coaching style, and the team constantly only giving 20 minute efforts (I wonder just how many times they said they needed to play a full 60 minutes was). I seriously can't believe anyone still thinks RC is a decent coach either. This last series showed how bad of a coach and his system really is in the modern NHL.

Gibson and Miller and a few players playing above their pay-grade helped keep us afloat until Getz came back; even then we still needed Gibson to carry us (since our offense dried up and our defense floundered). A good coach shouldn't need their goalie to carry their team the entire season plus the playoffs. The last month our schedule was actually fairly easy, a bunch of non playoff teams and a few playoff teams that are considered weak; that absolutely helped us get reach 100 points while also just cementing us losing on away ice instead of home ice. I'm totally comfortable calling this season a disaster, one you try to forget.

Lol one you try and forget (and it's not that either unless you're one of those guys who has tried to forget literally every year but one in this teams existence) is nowhere close to what a disaster is. Ottawa this year, that's a disaster, not a team that finished with a top-10 record. Like I said, much worse than dirk saying RC wasn't outcoached this series, just a very bad take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad