Ducks Mobile App Not Supported

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
So I went to the Ducks Mobile App and found that it no longer supports IOS7. Granted my phone is 3 years old, but apart from a new battery is works great. Still runs pretty fast and never crashes. eBay doesn't seem to mind my older operating system... lol

I am disappointed that the team has decided to cut access from some of it's fans. Maybe it is a sign from above. Divine revelation of what the future holds for this team. I don't know, but I'm not going to upgrade my phone just to get the app.

John

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
The Ducks app is obsolete. Everything is provided within the NHL app now.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I'll take your advice and just go to their site instead. I don't suppose you know if I can listen to their broadcast from their website?

On the OS... I have an iphone 5. I have followed the rollouts of the updated IOS since I upgraded to 7.1. IOS 8 was a disaster, our son suffered through that one. I understand 9 was better and 10 has solved most of the issues. However, for an older phone I will get more battery drain and it probably lose some performance as it won't run as smooth. I also won't be able to use a number of the new features. I might get an iphone 7 after I read the reviews to see if it is worth the upgrade.

John

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
I'll take your advice and just go to their site instead. I don't suppose you know if I can listen to their broadcast from their website?

On the OS... I have an iphone 5. I have followed the rollouts of the updated IOS since I upgraded to 7.1. IOS 8 was a disaster, our son suffered through that one. I understand 9 was better and 10 has solved most of the issues. However, for an older phone I will get more battery drain and it probably lose some performance as it won't run as smooth. I also won't be able to use a number of the new features. I might get an iphone 7 after I read the reviews to see if it is worth the upgrade.

John

I have a 5s at work and I agree that the battery drain has become an issue. Waiting to see if IOS 10 brings any improvements but not holding my breath. I just bit the bullet and got one of those piggyback batteries for extended trips.

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California

John

Okay, gotcha! So far iOS 10 has been decent for me, although I'm not super tech savy so there may be some issues I'm simply unaware of.

And the radio part of the app has given me problems anyways. Don't know if you can access it on the ducks website, but I imagine a stream will at least be accessable on KLAA 830's site

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
You're not missing much. The new app is garbage.

And this differs from the old app how?

Sometimes I really wonder if the league can be as stupid as they are with apps, the website, and NHL.tv or if they really just don't care what the fans think of them. Their whole IT department should be fired for the crap they give us.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Does anyone have the NHL app for iPad? Is it just me or is the "Ducks" tab on the bottom missing? That's the only place you can access all the stuff that was specific to the Ducks like interviews, videos, etc.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
And this differs from the old app how?

Sometimes I really wonder if the league can be as stupid as they are with apps, the website, and NHL.tv or if they really just don't care what the fans think of them. Their whole IT department should be fired for the crap they give us.

At least the old one would play streams?

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
Took the app off my phone a long time ago. It's sad how a team owned by a Broadcom executive can be so clueless tech wise. I still can't believe we can't get somewhat reliable WiFi at the Ponda.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The NHL years ago centralized all the online tech so there was a unified look. There were lawsuits over it as I recall. The Ducks have zero responsibility for that technology. EVERY team is getting routed through the NHL app now, the Ducks aren't special in that regard.

As far as the wifi, how many places have you ever been with 10-14K people using wifi at the same time that WAS reliable?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The NHL years ago centralized all the online tech so there was a unified look. There were lawsuits over it as I recall. The Ducks have zero responsibility for that technology. EVERY team is getting routed through the NHL app now, the Ducks aren't special in that regard.

As far as the wifi, how many places have you ever been with 10-14K people using wifi at the same time that WAS reliable?

To the bolded...That doesn't mean it has to be as poor as it has been and continues to be. There's really no excuse for it.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC

The Ducks app sucked from the moment they launched it, that had nothing to do with the NHL.

Excuse me for having an expectation of a team who is owned by a tech genius to be able to support a few thousand people on their phones at a hockey game. It actually isn't that hard to do.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The Ducks app sucked from the moment they launched it, that had nothing to do with the NHL.

Excuse me for having an expectation of a team who is owned by a tech genius to be able to support a few thousand people on their phones at a hockey game. It actually isn't that hard to do.

If you say so. I've never been anywhere that attempted to have more than 10K people access wifi at the same time and not had spotty service. Including Vegas and every other sports arena I've ever been at. There are plenty of articles out there about how difficult it is to get reliable wifi at most sporting venues. And the issue originally was that they planned for 4-5K people, and the number of people trying to access wifi is much much higher.

I'm pretty sure the NHL team apps were just reskinned versions of the NHL approved central app as well, all the teams controlled was the content.

MLB is currently running the website and apps, if anyone wants to know where to properly focus their anger.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-to-tea...ll-on-streaming-app-cable-tv-channel/c-775950

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad