Speculation: Duchene trade looking back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
There's absolutely nothing to indicate that Duchene is better than Turris. He may be ~5 points better offensively while having a worse shot, being worse all around and less clutch, not to mention the locker room aspect. What good is his talent if he can't use it half the time? The fact that the best run team in the league gave up as much as they did for Turris and signed him to a 6 year extension before he even played a game for them says as much as Duchene going from a sucky team to a good team with each of his teams pulling a 180 the moment he got there.

There's plenty to indicate Duchene is better. I've had the pleasure of watching Turris for the past for the past 6 seasons, and I grew to like the player but he doesnt bring what Duchene has in his 57 games in Ottawa. Duchene is the type of player who can drive a line, he gets the best out of his linemates in a way Turris didnt. Turris was good but away from MacArthur or Stone I'm not sure he thrived. On the other hand with Duchene I've seen Hoffman score goals you would never see him score with Turris.

As for the locker room aspect, I'm not sure how long your memory is but It's funny becuase similar things were said about Turris when he came to Ottawa. Players who request a trade often get dragged through the mud around these parts without any any real insight.

Reactions: uncleben85

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Ottawa got the best player, but gave up a lot to get him. It´s a lottery ticket on who will be the winner at this time. If a few or all of the youngsters pan out, this is an Colorado/Nashville win. But the butterfly effect could also lead this to find Ottawa with Dahlin and signed Duchene/Karlsson. Then Ottawa could be the long time winner... To early to tell..

Most of the time quality wins over quantinty in this kind off trades. But as Duchene and Turris ain´t that far apart as players, it would only take little to tip this trade. As it´s very unlikely anyone else from Colorado and Ottawas part in the trade will reach anywhere near their level of play, wich is top 10-30 C in the leauge.

And the Lindros trade is used out of context. Remember that at the time and the following seasons Flyers where the ones looking as clear winners. It took about four years and the Cup for Colorado for people beginning to question it. And probably until 8 years later around the millenia change, when it was obvious that Lindros was never coming back to his 93-97 form, to really see that it was an obvious win for Colorado. Had Lindros continued playing at his peak level for more than 3-4 years, that trade would probably be seen as a win for the Flyers today. As it was the first 3-4 years after the trade... And had the Flyers had Lacroix instead of Clarke, this could also be seen as a Flyers win, as people mix in team success with specific trades, without putting it in context.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
There's absolutely nothing to indicate that Duchene is better than Turris. He may be ~5 points better offensively while having a worse shot, being worse all around and less clutch, not to mention the locker room aspect. What good is his talent if he can't use it half the time? The fact that the best run team in the league gave up as much as they did for Turris and signed him to a 6 year extension before he even played a game for them says as much as Duchene going from a sucky team to a good team with each of his teams pulling a 180 the moment he got there.

Yeah I always thought Turris was a beast for Ottawa. He seemed to always come through when the going got tough. I would hardly say that about Duchene's career. Maybe that will change with time. Let's hope for OTT's sake that he does.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Yeah I always thought Turris was a beast for Ottawa. He seemed to always come through when the going got tough. I would hardly say that about Duchene's career. Maybe that will change with time. Let's hope for OTT's sake that he does.

Turris was absolutely clutch for us in the playoffs, especially OT. That's what I'll miss the most about him.

A Shiny Zubat

Lurker
Jan 3, 2011
Darmstadt
10/10 would trade again. Sitting pretty with a top 10 pick next year, Girard and other youngsters. Heck if you had told me that MacKinnon would turn it on like he has without Duchene on the roster I'd have given Duchene to Ottawa for free.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
10/10 would trade again. Sitting pretty with a top 10 pick next year, Girard and other youngsters. Heck if you had told me that MacKinnon would turn it on like he has without Duchene on the roster I'd have given Duchene to Ottawa for free.
Yeah how do you know its going to be a top 10 ??Ottawa can easily make the playoffs next season ,a healthy EK does lots for us

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Col was far worse than us ,yet they have seemed to be far better...Being actually healthy to start next season ,would be a start
Colorado also added two top 4 defenders over night, one solid bottom pairing D who is excellent on the PK, added three rookie forwards in Kerfoot, Compher and Jost who look good and are a massive improvements over bums like Iginla, and to boot had Landeskog, MacKinnon and Rantanen become arguably one of the best if not the best lines in hockey. Every single thing went right for them, to expect everything goes teh same in Ottawa is setting yourself up for disappointment, especially with the potential EK trade.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Colorado also added two top 4 defenders over night, one solid bottom pairing D who is excellent on the PK, added three rookie forwards in Kerfoot, Compher and Jost who look good and are a massive improvements over bums like Iginla, and to boot had Landeskog, MacKinnon and Rantanen become arguably one of the best if not the best lines in hockey. Every single thing went right for them, to expect everything goes teh same in Ottawa is setting yourself up for disappointment, especially with the potential EK trade.
Meh ,you seem to forget we have some very good prospects too..Along with some already great pieces in our lineup ...Trading EK IF it happens should also add even more quality pieces to our lineup,you guys shouldnt be talking in absolutes is where iam going

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Meh ,you seem to forget we have some very good prospects too..Along with some already great pieces in our lineup ...Trading EK IF it happens should also add even more quality pieces to our lineup,you guys shouldnt be talking in absolutes is where iam going
No one is talking in absolutes. And I didn't forget a thing. You guys have a worse forward corps, a worse D and worse goalies, but weirder things have happened, so you might finish somewhere in early teens, I just wouldn't count on it all things considered.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
No one is talking in absolutes. And I didn't forget a thing. You guys have a worse forward corps, a worse D and worse goalies, but weirder things have happened, so you might finish somewhere in early teens, I just wouldn't count on it all things considered.
Still doing it.....We dont know how the team will look like before next season starts...

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I mean if Ottawa somehow gets a Nathan MacKinnon that put up 90+points in 60 some games then sure they could make the playoffs.
Ok so if Nate breaks his leg has offseason surgury,after making a game 7 in the final 4 ..And doesnt recover fully until halfway through the season,where do you think the AVS finish???

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Yep,good response...Then again with you I didnt expect much to begin with...Just typical nonsense
Why bother. Every reasonable post aimed towards you gets thrown aside and you answer by only that what fits your agenda. And you see everything as a slight to you or the Sens. There is no reason to discuss anything with you. I still remember how Turris was better than Duchene and how we would need to add to Duchene to get Zib, but I bet you changed your tune now.

Reactions: Foppberg

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Why bother. Every reasonable post aimed towards you gets thrown aside and you answer by only that what fits your agenda. And you see everything as a slight to you or the Sens. There is no reason to discuss anything with you. I still remember how Turris was better than Duchene and how we would need to add to Duchene to get Zib, but I bet you changed your tune now.
Whatever ,and you kept saying how we were going to have to give up Chabot ++...Funny how you werent right either...And you talk like you know everything about our team ,yet when i ask you to back up your opinion i get .....Nothing but homerish bullshit....Grow up man

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Whatever ,and you kept saying how we were going to have to give up Chabot ++...Funny how you werent right either...And you talk like you know everything about our team ,yet when i ask you to back up your opinion i get .....Nothing but homerish bull****....Grow up man
Homerish? What was homerish in what I said? That a forward corps containing MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog etc is better than what Ottawa has? That the Avs D is better than the Sens D that has Ceci as their 2nd best D? That Varlamov and Bernier are better than Anderson who looks cooked? I don't know everything about the Sens, but I sure as heel know more about them than you do about the Avs. And the Avs did pretty damn well in the Duchene trade. They got a guy who at 19 plays as a top 4 D and doesn't look out of place, Kamanev, 1st, Bowers (another 1st who progresses amazingly in his freshman season), a 2nd, a 3rd and Hammond, far closer to what Avs fans said they will get, than to the crap you were peddling.

The Senators Guy

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't even funny to talk about. Duchene has been hot lately and to call him overrated? Wow, he's an amazing player and so is Turris, this trade didn't go our way but we still got a quality player. We didn't give up as much as it seems. We're alright and we'll come back to some good seasons in the future.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Homerish? What was homerish in what I said? That a forward corps containing MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog etc is better than what Ottawa has? That the Avs D is better than the Sens D that has Ceci as their 2nd best D? That Varlamov and Bernier are better than Anderson who looks cooked? I don't know everything about the Sens, but I sure as heel know more about them than you do about the Avs. And the Avs did pretty damn well in the Duchene trade. They got a guy who at 19 plays as a top 4 D and doesn't look out of place, Kamanev, 1st, Bowers (another 1st who progresses amazingly in his freshman season), a 2nd, a 3rd and Hammond, far closer to what Avs fans said they will get, than to the crap you were peddling.
So a forward core of Stone ,Hoffman, Duchene etc along with a healthy 8o point defender,to go along with a Chabot and Ceci...Without adding in guys like White,Brown Batherson, Formenton,Chalpik, Lottery pick etc etc...Have no hope .......Come on man ..You got extra magic beans for us to keep our best young stuff ,we arent as dead as you seem to be dreaming we are

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Key word right there,also if it happens...Do you not think Otttawa will not get something very good for him??

They should, but Dorion doesn't exactly have a good trade record, and no matter the trade your team takes a hit when it loses the best defenseman in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad