Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
We made the playoffs without him (and without Spezza) in 2013 after the Cooke incident.

I mean, is it likely that we miss the playoffs next year? Maybe. But it's far from a guarantee. That's why we play the games.
I remember that. We were extremely lucky that it was the short season, that team wouldn't have made it over a full season and Sergei Gonchar had stepped up BIG.

I agree anything can happen. But this team isn't a good roster in it's current state.

Not to mention the locker room and management discord.

If EK leaves, I think there's an 80 percent chance we finish in the bottom 10 next year.

Reactions: JungleBeat

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Draft Dahlin/Svechnikov
Sign Karlsson
Sign Stone
Trade Hoffman for a top 4 D (Matheson/Hanfin/Pesce/Edmunson)
Sign Kovalchuk
Trade Smith for draft pick

Not happening I know, but would make me very, very, very happy.

Reactions: Sensinitis

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Draft Dahlin/Svechnikov
Sign Karlsson
Sign Stone
Trade Hoffman for a top 4 D (Matheson/Hanfin/Pesce/Edmunson)
Sign Kovalchuk
Trade Smith for draft pick

Not happening I know, but would make me very, very, very happy.

I love everything about it but yeah like you said the Kovy part seems unlikely. But if we keep Hoffman and manage to sign someone like DeHaan I'll be happy.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Yeah I think anything outside of the top-5 has to go Colorado's way this year.

On another note, I think it's imperative that Dorion works hard to trade the late 1st acquired from Pittsburgh. We're in the initial phase of a rebuild and we don't even have a single 2nd or 3rd round pick this year, so converting the 1st into multiple picks in 2018 is a must. I'm not worried about losing out on higher quality players since everyone after 24 is basically a coin flip.

What does that tell the players, the team and the fans? That the GM thinks we're going to be a bottom 5 team next year? Ouch. We have too much talent to finish bottom 5 next year, and if we actually do this, the players will have an extra chip on their shoulder. I think we draft this year no matter that.

Reactions: Deku

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
In 2018:

Duchene: 31pts(32gp)
Turris: 12pts(29gp)

Duchene is already wearing an 'A' with Stone out.
Turris is on one of the best teams while Duchene is on one of the worst.
Turris is turning 29 this summer, and is going to get paid $6M until he's 35.
OUCH!

I f***ing called it. I love Turris, but that contract was bad, it's going to look Bobby Ryan levels bad in a few years. His speed is just barely good enough to be an effective player. Any drop in that speed, and he's going to be completely ineffective with that small frame.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arkantoss and Deku

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I wanna see that Hoffman - Duchene - Dzingel line for a whole other season. Let's bring in a 2nd line C to play with Stone and Ryan, keep Karlsson, and sign one top 4 D, and we may be just fine next year.

Reactions: Deku

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I made the mistake of reviving the Duchene trade thread in the main forum. Joe Sakic is a MENSA level genius for swindling Ottawa out of its 7th best prospect, and Shane Bowers is the lovechild of Tyler Seguin and Peter Forsberg.

To recap, this years production has now been dis-regarded between Duchene and Turris, the group has moved onto the "2019 top 5 pick" and Shane Bowers as the jumping off points.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I wanna see that Hoffman - Duchene - Dzingel line for a whole other season. Let's bring in a 2nd line C to play with Stone and Ryan, keep Karlsson, and sign one top 4 D, and we may be just fine next year.

Hoffman - Duchene - Dzingle is worth the price of admission.

Love the way that playing with Duchene seems to have really energized Hoffman.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The deal was an overpayment, but as I have said, overpaying for an asset like a #1 center or top 2 D is acceptable. Almost impossible to find an asset like that for free (at the draft or in FA).

Just need to get him locked up long-term at a an acceptable cap hit and term. Hopefully under 8M and under 7YRs.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
To recap, this years production has now been dis-regarded between Duchene and Turris, the group has moved onto the "2019 top 5 pick" and Shane Bowers as the jumping off points.

Who on earth is disregarding Duchenes production?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He's going to tell Dorion he wants a deal this summer. This where people who say "don't sign him until we see how he does when we are in the playoff race" are going to hit a wall: the player won't want to wait and could say "sign me now or we don't negotiate during the season" and what do we do then? Let him play without a contract for 2019-2020?

We'd be fools not to sign him as long as he isn't asking for 10 per.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The deal was an overpayment, but as I have said, overpaying for an asset like a #1 center or top 2 D is acceptable. Almost impossible to find an asset like that for free (at the draft or in FA).

Just need to get him locked up long-term at a an acceptable cap hit and term. Hopefully under 8M and under 7YRs.

It's not an overpayment if you pay an acceptable price for something you want. The very definition of an overpayment would be to pay MORE than the asset is worth, and Duchene is definitely worth three good assets, none of whom are likely to ever be as good as he is.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It's not an overpayment if you pay an acceptable price for something you want. The very definition of an overpayment would be to pay MORE than the asset is worth, and Duchene is definitely worth three good assets, none of whom are likely to ever be as good as he is.

People care more about potential than anything.

It's why so many idiots on the main boards value cap space.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I really do like Duchene, but the team is going to have to be merciless in negotiations. He's surpassed 60 points twice in his career, and the last time was 5 years ago.

As well as he's playing now, and as much effort as we can see on his behalf, we can't ignore that massive cold streak after the trade. If we give him a ridiculous deal we may find ourselves in another Bobby Ryan situation. Most likely nowhere as severe, but these albatross contracts simply cannot happen for a team like this. Team is going to have to everything they can to shave his number down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Lol, so Karlsson leaves and you somehow think the team will get better?

Because right now, there is a slim chance Karlsson stays.

So what do we have for depth after that happens? Chabot and Ceci as the only two top 4 d? Yea that'll be fun.
He’ll definitely want to leave if Karlsson is going, don’t think there will be any chance he stays.

We have one of the oldest teams in the NHL and our star is going to get traded. Full rebuild is the only option.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
He’ll definitely want to leave if Karlsson is going, don’t think there will be any chance he stays.

We have one of the oldest teams in the NHL and our star is going to get traded. Full rebuild is the only option.

rofl, we don't have the oldest team, not even close. The only players we have over 30 are Pyatt(31), Gaborik(36), Burrows(36) and Anderson(36).

Gaborik and Burrows are probably gone after the season anyways.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
rofl, we don't have the oldest team, not even close. The only players we have over 30 are Pyatt(31), Gaborik(36), Burrows(36) and Anderson(36).

Gaborik and Burrows are probably gone after the season anyways.
We had the 2nd oldest team as of Jan 1st

Since then, we have gotten rid of Phaneuf and Thompson, and added Gaborik and O'Brien in their places. I believe we are still tone of the oldest/

It's within a year or so in the bottom half of the league, so it really doesn't make much difference.

We should be younger next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad