Duchene commits to Michigan State

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Whats the point? He is the best 91 in Canada...maybe 2nd behind Anthony...he willbe in the show at 18....what point is there to go to school for 1 year.

I dont get the reasoning..yes you can say he could get hurt and all that stuff but come on. Elite level players have no business going to the NCAA...even if he accelerates his schooling he will play 1 year at most...and if he doesnt accelerate his schooling he will be NHL drafted before he even steps foot on MSU campus as a student.

Ive watched the kid play...he is amazing...a top 10 NHL pick at this point.

Im sorry if i offended any NCAA fans, but i just dont think going to the NCAA will do him any good. Just my opinion.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Whats the point? He is the best 91 in Canada...maybe 2nd behind Anthony...he willbe in the show at 18....what point is there to go to school for 1 year.

I dont get the reasoning..yes you can say he could get hurt and all that stuff but come on. Elite level players have no business going to the NCAA...even if he accelerates his schooling he will play 1 year at most...and if he doesnt accelerate his schooling he will be NHL drafted before he even steps foot on MSU campus as a student.

Im sorry if i offended any NCAA fans, but i just dont think going to the NCAA will do him any good. Just my opinion.

I agree, what is the sense of him playing only 1 year or maybe no years when he could play CHL and have 2 solid seasons there under his belt. The kid is phenominal, there is no way he will be in the CHL or NCAA on his 19th birthday.

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog

Who really needs education after all. :dunno:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

I'm sorry, but this reasoning is just so stupid.

Maybe he feels the level of competition is better in the NCAA? Playing against older and stronger players can only help his game.

Every time someone knocks the NCAA it makes me wonder if they have ANY idea what they are talking about. And I know you are fairly knowledgable, LaLa, so I question why you'd make such an unknowledgable statement.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

Maybe he feels the level of competition is better in the NCAA? Playing against older and stronger players can only help his game.

Every time someone knocks the NCAA it makes me wonder if they have ANY idea what they are talking about. And I know you are fairly knowledgable, LaLa, so I question why you'd make such an unknowledgable statement.

actually its like what he said, it makes sense if you think about it, he is saying me might NEVER step foot on the NCAA ice because he is so good that he will make the NHL right after the draft, so why play in the USHL or stuff like that to get ready to play NCAA hockey when after your USHL year you might make the NHL, see he could have played 2 years CHL against better competition than the USHL, becasue of the fact he is that good that if he keeps going on this upwards curve he will probably not step foot on NCAA ice.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
actually its like what he said, it makes sense if you think about it, he is saying me might NEVER step foot on the NCAA ice because he is so good that he will make the NHL right after the draft, so why play in the USHL or stuff like that to get ready to play NCAA hockey when after your USHL year you might make the NHL, see he could have played 2 years CHL against better competition than the USHL, becasue of the fact he is that good that if he keeps going on this upwards curve he will probably not step foot on NCAA ice.

It's his option to go wherever he wants. Maybe he IS planning on playing at least 1 year in the NCAA? Maybe he is planning on accelerating his education and going to the NCAA a year early?

Who knows at this point? But to say it's a bad route for an elite prospect is just Pejorative Slured.

I guess Erik Johnson is making a huge mistake then.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia

My point was I doubt he even plays in the NCAA. NCAA is a higher caliber league but its rare that a 17 year old plays in the NCAA...Duchesne is a high caliber player who may be in the NHL by age 18...there is a strong possibility he wont ever play a game in the NCAA.

I push the prep school/college route for B and C level prospects because its a great way to play high caliber hockey and gain an education but for A level prospects it is really a waste. At most Duchesne will finish 1 year of college if he projects to be as good as everyone thinks....how does that help him out longer term in terms of education than playing CHL?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
It's his option to go wherever he wants. Maybe he IS planning on playing at least 1 year in the NCAA? Maybe he is planning on accelerating his education and going to the NCAA a year early?

Who knows at this point? But to say it's a bad route for an elite prospect is just Pejorative Slured.

I didn't say it was a bad route, but why play one year NCAA when you can play 2 years CHL, he would be playing longer against top level competition.

The only thing I don't like about NCAA hockey is they play only half as many games as a CHL team. BUt I didn't say it was a bad route.

Johnson played in the U18 Program which plays in international tournaments, they play NCAA teams, they play top level competition, so its not like he was in the USHL where the competition is not as good. He could have stepped right into the NHL but chose to develope one more year in NCAA which I think is a great decision on him. Gotta look at the teams, who they played the level of competitions.

Johnson has been playing NCAA teams since he has been 17 years old, Duchene won't be playing NCAA comptetion untill he is 18 or 19 because he can not play for the NTDP teams.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
If he accelerates his studies, ala Toews, he may play for State as a 17 year old.

Would I bank money on it though? NOPE!

I too feel that this kid will never wear the green of Michigan State.

Transported Upstater

Jon, I think what Lala meant is that the CHL is often a faster route to the NHL than the NCAA route, and that for a few extremely elite prospects (kids playing several years above their age level, who aim to make the NHL perhaps as a teenager), it is often a better way to go.

EDIT: Erik Johnson played (and dominated) for the NTDP, which is by far the best hockey development program anywhere in North America that leaves the NCAA route open, so he is at a much, much higher ability level as an 18-year old than most non-CHL players. Using Johnson as an example is not really a good analogy.

Transported Upstater

2 words for "big mistake" ppl

ERIK JOHNSON.

oh 2 more..

JACK JOHNSON

As I said before:

Duchene is Canadian, correct? Thus, he is obviously not eligible for the US NTDP.

I suppose he could play a year at Shattuck and then play a year in the USHL (that, in fact, would be a terrrific preparation model), but that DOES NOT APPROACH THE US NTDP. The best NTDP kids are simply at a higher level than all other incoming 18-year old NCAA freshmen.

Not an accurate comparison.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
no one is saying either route is better. he is an elite 91, who will be drafted a year before he ever "plays a college game." he will likely be a high nhl draft pick, what would be the point of not playing in the best developemental league in the world like the ohl, and instead playing in the ushl or canadian tier 2 for a whole year after you are drafted (he will arrive at msu the following after drafted unless accelerated schooling). no nhl team would let that fly. ill bet 95% chance he never plays a college game, and its not bc either route is better then the other, its just the way it works out for this player. hes using this commitment to get a better ohl deal and education package.

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
As I said before:

Duchene is Canadian, correct? Thus, he is obviously not eligible for the US NTDP.
Unless he's a dual-citizen, but I have no idea whether or not he is. Michigan forward Jason Bailey was playing junior hockey in Ontario before joining the US NTDP Under-18 for a season then jumping to the University of Michigan. IIRC, his mom is a U.S. citizen.

Transported Upstater

Unless he's a dual-citizen, but I have no idea whether or not he is. Michigan forward Jason Bailey was playing junior hockey in Ontario before joining the US NTDP Under-18 for a season then jumping to the University of Michigan. IIRC, his mom is a U.S. citizen.

Good point. If Duchene holds any sort of US citizenship, then he is eligible for the NTDP, which sort of throws a wrench into my argument...

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site

Were he in fact a dual player, believe me he would already be playing for the NTDP as an under-ager this year. He is that good.

Safe to assume that he is not.

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
Jason Bailey???

Sorry to hijack this thread, but since someone mentioned Jason Bailey, has anyone else heard whispers that he may be considering jumping to the CHL this coming season?
I have no confirmation on this particular rumour but I have heard it recently. Apparently he didn't see very much icetime at Michigan as a junior and may have been frustrated.

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
Sorry to hijack this thread, but since someone mentioned Jason Bailey, has anyone else heard whispers that he may be considering jumping to the CHL this coming season?
I have no confirmation on this particular rumour but I have heard it recently. Apparently he didn't see very much icetime at Michigan as a junior and may have been frustrated.
Lack of ice time as a junior? He was only a freshman this past year. I haven't heard any rumors about him leaving. I believe someone on another board posted a quote from an article after he recently attended a camp saying he's expected to return to college.

Bailey's "lack" of ice time may be because he missed 13 of 14 games from late January to late February due to injury (got hurt, missed nine games, came back for one period, got absolutely crushed into the boards and out again he went). Otherwise, he was a regular in the lineup.

EDIT: Found the article... http://sports.mainetoday.com/pirates/stories/060712pirates.shtml... "According to [Portland Pirates head coach Kevin] Dineen, three other players - Michigan right wing Jason Bailey, defenseman Kyle Klubertanz of Wisconsin and defenseman David Salcido of Colorado College - are expected to return to college."

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad