Status
Not open for further replies.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Source: NHL CBA has drug policy

Canadian Press

7/14/2005 8:28:54 PM

TORONTO (CP) - The NHL's new collective bargaining agreement will include a stiff drug-testing policy, a league source told The Canadian Press on Tuesday.

The policy would see players subject to a minimum of two drug tests a year with no advance warning. A player would earn a 20-game suspension for a first-time offence, a 60-game ban for a second offence and a permanent suspension from the NHL after a third violation.

Commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow suggested the league and union would introduce such a policy after the two appeared before a U.S. congressional hearing on steroid use last May.

Spungo*

Komisarek8 said:

Canadian Press

TORONTO (CP) - The NHL's new collective bargaining agreement will include a stiff drug-testing policy, a league source told The Canadian Press on Tuesday.

The policy would see players subject to a minimum of two drug tests a year with no advance warning. A player would earn a 20-game suspension for a first-time offence, a 60-game ban for a second offence and a permanent suspension from the NHL after a third violation.

Commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow suggested the league and union would introduce such a policy after the two appeared before a U.S. congressional hearing on steroid use last May.

I like every singlke thing the NHL has changed for this coming season. They have been bashed for years and years, but IMO they are doing almost every single thing right.

Oil_slick9416*

Komisarek8 said:

Canadian Press

this is a great idea. about time too

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
It's a lot easier to get such stiff suspensions when the sport doesn't have an issue with performance enhancing illegal products...

I doubt this was even a contentious issue for the players. Got nothing to hide, why do you care?

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Spungo said:
I like every singlke thing the NHL has changed for this coming season. They have been bashed for years and years, but IMO they are doing almost every single thing right.
Yeah I mean, a 1 year lockout was a great touch

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
I'm more interested in seeing which drugs are on the "banned substances" list.

I'm 99.999999 percent sure steriods, blood-doping products and illegal drugs (Ricky Williams anyone?) will be on the list.

I'm not sure at all about the legal amphetimines (ephedrine and pseudo-ephedrine, commonly found in drugs like Sudafed), which are much more widespread in their usage among hockey players than anything in the first group.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Very interesting to see if say Pot is on the list. I don't think it would go over too well in Canada if say Mats Sundin got suspended 20 games for taking a toke....

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
blitzkriegs said:
Yep. Prove me otherwise...

Hard to prove when the league has never tested for steroids, don't you think? One would be naive to think steroid use takes place in baseball, football, track & field, (olympic) wrestling, swimming, cycling and boxing, but NOT hockey. Hockey players, it would seem, would be among the athletes to most benefit from steroid use to strengthen fast-twitch muscles.

That said, the real drug issue in the NHL is that of ephedrine and amphetamines. If they ban those, there are going to be a lot of unhappy players.

Regardless, kudos to the players if this is true. It's good to see them take a stand against the cheaters amongst them rather than do everything they can to protect the cheaters like the MLBPA.

Last edited:

coppernblue

Apr 5, 2005
Another thing ppl have to realize is that steriod use is not huge in the NHL because of the on going international tournements that players participate in. Lots of ppl are not aware that the IIHF has very similar doping rules to the olympics so itd be silly for a high-calibre player to dope because he would get caught in international tournements. Ive played hockey with a couple guys who have been on world jr. teams in the past years and they said that their junior teams told em to stay squeaky clean (dont smoke pot...which in the dub im sure lots of u know is easier said then done) for a while or get suspended at the world jr. tournies.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Yes but you can take drugs leading up to a tournament and then stop when you have to play in it.

Random testing means you take a very big risk of being caught at any time.

This will have a huge effect on the players, especially if they can get banned for smoking a single joint.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
I hate the idea of sports leagues banning the use of any substance that is not clearly a performance-enhancing one. Sure, they have a right to do that if they want to, but I still don't agree with even considering it. If it's a matter of it being illegal, let law enforcement take care of that. Non-performance enhancing substances do not violate the spirit of fair competition and therefore should not even be on the discussion table.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Egil said:
Very interesting to see if say Pot is on the list. I don't think it would go over too well in Canada if say Mats Sundin got suspended 20 games for taking a toke....

It would go over very well in Canada... Not so much in Leaf Nation though
:snide:

As for the news, the punishments look great, can't argue with that. I'd have to see the list of banned substances as well as the details on the testing process before I comment on this, though.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Congress has been hammering the major sports leagues active in the US, and is insisting on rigid across-the-board testing and punishment policies. The leagues are working quickly to implement their own policies to avoid having Congress call these measures too lax -- which would lead to Congress mandating policies to the leagues themselves. This way the league retains authority over internal matters.

If a drug is illegal in the US, you can bet it will be illegal according to the CBA's testing policy and subject to the 20, 60, and then you're done punishment policy. I can't say I have the slightest problem with that either. Better yet, make the policy standardized in major juniors to snuff it out there as well... might take a few years, but you would think that the NHL's policy will eventually filter down.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
I really hope they wouldn't make a fuss about pot. It's not performance enhacing in sports as far as I know.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
blitzkriegs said:
That's not convincing anybody. That article is nothing but pure speculation from the 'iceblock.com.' Former NHL players trying to stay in the limelight. The current NHL player, says never seen it. And the trophy winner, well, more speculation.

Gee, I wonder why? It's not like the union would make him say that he was misquoted or something like that, would they? :sarcasm:

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
blitzkriegs said:
That's not convincing anybody. That article is nothing but pure speculation from the 'iceblock.com.' Former NHL players trying to stay in the limelight. The current NHL player, says never seen it. And the trophy winner, well, more speculation.

BTW - sudafed is not illegal.

former NHL player who played a grand total of about 8 games.

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
Egil said:

Break the rules and get caught - you pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->