Rumor: Drouin for White

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
My dream scenario is we trade Hoffman for Drouin, Drouin ends up working beautifully and then we sign Ladd/Okposo/Lucic/Eriksson.

Drouin-Zibanejad-Stone
Lucic/Okposo-Turris-Ryan

yes.

Something like that would be the only semi-realistic scenario where we trade Hoffman and become a better team. If we trade Hoff for futures and don't replace him I don't think we make the playoffs next season.

Imagine:

MacArthur - Turris - Eriksson
Drouin - Zibanejad - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Stone
Dzingel - Lazar - Neil
Puempel/Paul

Unreal offense.

Last edited:

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
White is 100% healthy and ready to start the Hockey East Playoffs.

Boston College vs. University of Vermont (UVM) tonight. Boston College is up 2-0 in the first.

If BC goes far in the playoffs and White continues to be the team MVP I don't think even Bryan Murray would consider trading him. He is exactly what Ottawa needs!

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
IDK if White works out... yeah he's doing some amazing things in college but that doesn't always translate.

The hope is it will but you never know until he plays in the NHL for us. Then he has to show he can stick in the NHL. And finally he needs to show he can produce at the NHL to be a legit 1 or 2 center.

Philoops

I am Potato
Jul 19, 2011
Canada
Something like that would be the only semi-realistic scenario where we trade Hoffman and become a better team. If we trade Hoff for futures and don't replace him I don't think we make the playoffs next season.

Imagine:

MacArthur - Turris - Eriksson
Drouin - Zibanejad - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Stone
Dzingel - Lazar - Neil
Puempel/Paul

Unreal offense.
MacA - should be a third liner on a contending team, probably won't be the same since this injury.
Turris - borderline number one C, if Z steps it up it wouldn't matter, but I'm not at all impressed with Zibanejad
Eriksson - aging over the hill vet, slow and bad
Drouin - He'd better be as good as he's supposed to be to carry the useless Zibanejad and floater Ryan around
Third line: Smith is having a career year, but whatever
Pageau - he's fine there
Stone - why would stone be on the third line if he's the best forward?
Fourth line is a wash, dzingel is an unknown and Lazar is meh, Neil is usually terrible.

The team needs a real third pairing, better coaching, a goalie to replace Anderson soon, and a legit number one centre or a superstar winger to elevate the play of those around him. Drouin could be that guy but idk, I don't think that team looks better than what we have now.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
MacA - should be a third liner on a contending team, probably won't be the same since this injury.
Turris - borderline number one C, if Z steps it up it wouldn't matter, but I'm not at all impressed with Zibanejad
Eriksson - aging over the hill vet, slow and bad
Drouin - He'd better be as good as he's supposed to be to carry the useless Zibanejad and floater Ryan around
Third line: Smith is having a career year, but whatever
Pageau - he's fine there
Stone - why would stone be on the third line if he's the best forward?
Fourth line is a wash, dzingel is an unknown and Lazar is meh, Neil is usually terrible.

The team needs a real third pairing, better coaching, a goalie to replace Anderson soon, and a legit number one centre or a superstar winger to elevate the play of those around him. Drouin could be that guy but idk, I don't think that team looks better than what we have now.

Eriksson is 30 and having a career year. Over the hill at 30? Come on now.

Do I think we should sign him? No, but you definitely need to re-evaluate your evaluations.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Yes Colin white sounds like a good player but that doesn't mean he'll be good in the NHL.

Bobby Butler was supposed to score a ton of goals wasn't he? Rundblad was supposed to be the next best thing wasn't he?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Yes Colin white sounds like a good player but that doesn't mean he'll be good in the NHL.

Bobby Butler was supposed to score a ton of goals wasn't he? Rundblad was supposed to be the next best thing wasn't he?

In theory, every single player could be a bust, sure. Austin Matthews could be worse than Patrick Stsfan. In theory.

Odds are, however, that White will be very, very good. What he is doing at his level, at his age, has only been done by guys who went to become legit stars in the league. He's in elite company.

And if you watch the kid play, you realize that what he's doing is no fluke.

Also: comparing what White is doing to what Butler did is not fair. They're not even close to being close. It's like comparing Connor McDavid to Mike Adamio.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario

I'll say it again, those that are actually watching BC rather than watching his stat lines know his skillset is very good. He has 1C ceiling given his two-way ability and high IQ.

Likely will be a 2C 1C tweener though. I see a lot of Mike Fisher in his game.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
In theory, every single player could be a bust, sure. Austin Matthews could be worse than Patrick Stsfan. In theory.

Odds are, however, that White will be very, very good. What he is doing at his level, at his age, has only been done by guys who went to become legit stars in the league. He's in elite company.

And if you watch the kid play, you realize that what he's doing is no fluke.

Also: comparing what White is doing to what Butler did is not fair. They're not even close to being close. It's like comparing Connor McDavid to Mike Adamio.

No I don't think so

If my memory serves me correctly a lot of fans were touting Bobby Butler to be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL.

The point I was making was that a lot of prospects that go through our system are overrated. When they hit the bigs and don't live up to peoples expectations they are (in time) lambasted like no tomorrow.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Butler was being talked about in the media as a goal scorer but it was clear to anyone who dug a bit deeper that it was just that, a media narrative

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
For what it is worth, after picking him, Dorion was touting White as a responsible future 2C who probably isn't skilled enough to be a 1C, but because of his specific skillset if he fails to become a 2C, at the very least, he can be a 3rd line matchup/shutdown type of centre.

Maybe that outlook has changed or improved after his +1 season that he has had thus far.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
White was a projected top 10 pick in one of the deepest drafts in last decade and only fell due to injury. His production this year puts him back on track with what he was supposed to be.

I highly, highly doubt Murray and Co. opted to draft a 2nd line C with a 1st round pick in deep draft with guys like Konency still on the board.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
White was a projected top 10 pick in one of the deepest drafts in last decade and only fell due to injury. His production this year puts him back on track with what he was supposed to be.

I highly, highly doubt Murray and Co. opted to draft a 2nd line C with a 1st round pick in deep draft with guys like Konency still on the board.
You don't "opt" to draft a second line C. Just like you don't "opt" to draft a 1st line C. Just have to hope they develop into a 1st line C.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

You don't "opt" to draft a 2nd line Center, there are maybe 3-5 2nd line C per draft and maybe1-2 1st per draft.

I love White, but if they felt they were getting a #1 Center (they didn't, they aren't overzealous posters), they don't let him pass 18.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You don't "opt" to draft a 2nd line Center, there are maybe 3-5 2nd line C per draft and maybe1-2 1st per draft.

I love White, but if they felt they were getting a #1 Center (they didn't, they aren't overzealous posters), they don't let him pass 18.
Huh,nobody has ever passed over a number 1 center ??Lots of examples of guys going later that have turned into exactly that

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Huh,nobody has ever passed over a number 1 center ??Lots of examples of guys going later that have turned into exactly that

But they were passed because teams didn't think they would be that lol.

Rkl is making it sound like sens scoutin staff was like "oh. This guy def a future 1c lets opt for this 1c over other 2Cs

I used to love the only prospect projection thing. And I look back and I was exactly like this. Just convincing myself these guys were future superstars.

Side note. If sens scouting was so good that we could simply "opt" for elite players then we would be a dynasty right now.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

“With Colin White, we’re excited to get a player like this just because it is what we’re trying to build. We’re trying to bring good people into the organization; character people into the organization. We bring a guy that’s an excellent skater with really good skills who’s always on the puck. He’s tenacious. He can make plays. He plays so well away from the puck as a centerman. Will he be a first line guy? Probably not. Does he have a chance to be a good second line player? For sure. Worst case scenario: he’s your seventh forward (who) matches up against the other team’s best line because of how he plays the game. Players with drive, players that take charge, players that score big goals to help them win the under-18 championship, those are the type of players we want on our team. Did we pass up on maybe more skill? For sure we did, but for us, it’s not about drafting the most skilled player. It’s about drafting the player who’s going to help us win the most.â€

http://the6thsens.com/2015-articles/dorion-speaks-nhl-draft-prospects-wideman-etc.html

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
“With Colin White, we’re excited to get a player like this just because it is what we’re trying to build. We’re trying to bring good people into the organization; character people into the organization. We bring a guy that’s an excellent skater with really good skills who’s always on the puck. He’s tenacious. He can make plays. He plays so well away from the puck as a centerman. Will he be a first line guy? Probably not. Does he have a chance to be a good second line player? For sure. Worst case scenario: he’s your seventh forward (who) matches up against the other team’s best line because of how he plays the game. Players with drive, players that take charge, players that score big goals to help them win the under-18 championship, those are the type of players we want on our team. Did we pass up on maybe more skill? For sure we did, but for us, it’s not about drafting the most skilled player. It’s about drafting the player who’s going to help us win the most.â€

http://the6thsens.com/2015-articles/dorion-speaks-nhl-draft-prospects-wideman-etc.html

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
But they were passed because teams didn't think they would be that lol.

Rkl is making it sound like sens scoutin staff was like "oh. This guy def a future 1c lets opt for this 1c over other 2Cs

I used to love the only prospect projection thing. And I look back and I was exactly like this. Just convincing myself these guys were future superstars.

Side note. If sens scouting was so good that we could simply "opt" for elite players then we would be a dynasty right now.
Yep because EK went were again ??Stone ??How about Zetterberg or maybe Weber??Scouts can miss ,and having a freshman ppg center probably means they did

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010

These are quotes from right after the draft. Anything they have said since has been that he has really exceeded expectations.

Opinions change, both up and down. Stone was seen as a 3rd-4th line guy, Lindberg as a Greening clone...and then they played their following seasons. Boyle was seen as the best player on the ice in the tournaments he was in, and then lasted one year in NCAA.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yep because EK went were again ??Stone ??How about Zetterberg or maybe Weber??Scouts can miss ,and having a freshman ppg center probably means they did

Mm yeah. You think when Detroit drafted zetterberg they opted to draft a 1C?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->