Dropping the gloves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery4Byng*

TBLfan said:
what happens on the ice should stay on the ice.
That is pretty much an unwritten rule amongst all decent human beings.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
tray said:
That is pretty much an unwritten rule amongst all decent human beings.
some guys don't know where it should end and are willing to continue it outside. parking lot brawls are plain stupid.

Avery4Byng*

Pat said:
some guys don't know where it should end and are willing to continue it outside. parking lot brawls are plain stupid.
Very true. As far as I see it, once you shake hands thats the end of it. Game over, we all gotta go to work the next day.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
tray said:
Very true. As far as I see it, once you shake hands thats the end of it. Game over, we all gotta go to work the next day.

Absolutely. However people sometimes forget that ON the ice. Some a-holes out there hide behind that unwritten rule to pretty much get away with murder while on the ice. They hack, slash, use illegal contact, whatever they want because everyone's supposed to accept that 'what happens on the ice, stays on the ice'.

I'm a decent human being and I never play dirty and yet I've been in a few games where some jackass is trying to break bones out there because it's the playoffs of a beer league. I have to work in the morning and I have a family to go home to and yet I've got to worry about my health playing a meaningless 'fun' game.

I'm not a violent person by any means but I've gone after guys after the game because of the above situations. Why should I risk my health and body because of some crappy 'old school mantra'.
And before anyone says "Why didn't you drop the gloves on the ice to settle it?", I'll respond by saying that I have but most times the guys won't drop them because of suspension rules or just because they're idiots. But the minute you have beers after the game they're the first guys to come up offering a beer saying "Hey man, what goes on the ice stays on the ice. No hard feelings". Yeah, thanks, I didn't mind getting speard in the gut and having the wind knocked out of me. Or have my head nearly knocked off from an elbow.

The point I'm trying to make is, don't be a d1ck when you play. Try to enjoy the game. There isn't contracts involved and no scouts are in the stands.

southpaw24

Dec 3, 2005
Owen Sound, ON
Hank19:"I'm a decent human being and I never play dirty..." :biglaugh:

Come on... i dont care if you won the lady byng everybody has played dirty before...
There is no way to hold back what you want to do sometimes its human nature to be competitive and be relentless in the fight to win something... its how we were made, i know some guys can take it over the top and act like real ***holes but thats just the way they are... its the drive and need to be on top that makes us do these things

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I don't mind some bumping and a little stickwork, but it get stupid when the other team is taking runs at you and crosschecking in front of the net like its an OHL game even though its just a regular ASHL game.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
southpaw24 said:
Hank19:"I'm a decent human being and I never play dirty..." :biglaugh:

Come on... i dont care if you won the lady byng everybody has played dirty before...
There is no way to hold back what you want to do sometimes its human nature to be competitive and be relentless in the fight to win something... its how we were made, i know some guys can take it over the top and act like real ***holes but thats just the way they are... its the drive and need to be on top that makes us do these things

I can honestly say since "retiring" to beer leagues I've never speared, crosschecked, elbowed or done anything else dirty out there. And I'm not the only one. There's a guy on my team that is a very talented hockey player and I've never seen him do anything remotely dirty once.
And since you don't know the first thinga bout me and don't know me from a hill of beans you have no right say what I have or haven't done.
My desire for winning or competing has never included dirty play. I've played all the major sports, including boxing and I've always competed hard and within the rules.

southpaw24

Dec 3, 2005
Owen Sound, ON
Hank19, this is not a personal shot at you or anythign like that but it doesnt matter in your eyes if you think you havent played dirty.. its in other peoples eyes. people dont go around saying that their a dirty player other people do it for them.... im not sayin u are a dirty player because like you said i dont know you but.. other people would probably remember something that you have done in a game that they thought was "dirty" Also most of the time when people are accused of a dirty hit or something of that nature it is an accident things happen so fast in a game if a bigger player is lining someone up for a hit and the other guy starts to turtle and gets the elbow to the head, i garauntee that people will say the player that hit him is dirty its all about preception and which team the people cheer for or play on

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
southpaw24 said:
Hank19, this is not a personal shot at you or anythign like that but it doesnt matter in your eyes if you think you havent played dirty.. its in other peoples eyes. people dont go around saying that their a dirty player other people do it for them.... im not sayin u are a dirty player because like you said i dont know you but.. other people would probably remember something that you have done in a game that they thought was "dirty" Also most of the time when people are accused of a dirty hit or something of that nature it is an accident things happen so fast in a game if a bigger player is lining someone up for a hit and the other guy starts to turtle and gets the elbow to the head, i garauntee that people will say the player that hit him is dirty its all about preception and which team the people cheer for or play on

Very true. Except I have a closet full of 'Most Sportmen Like" Trophies in my house. And I've played through 4 consecutive beer league seasons without getting ONE penalty. Not a hook, hold, rough, anything.
But I do understand what you're saying. I know lots of guys who don't consider themselves dirty until you show them scars you've gotten from their stick.

Reiher

May 30, 2004
Vancouver
NAE2 said:
Okay, okay. So basically you want to do what the other guy won't expect you to do. So what you do is you rip off his helmet, slap him across the face, and gouge his eyes with your fingers. He can't fight you if he can't see you, remember. Just prepare to be laughed at for a long time afterwards and possibly face charges for well, you know, blinding someone.
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: this reminds me of the Odjick fight, when he waved his hand around Stock to initiate the fight :biglaugh: . oh that was funny.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
I'm 20 yrs old and play in a beer league in Va...before i joined this league i was playin in another league and this guy about 40 or so got pissed at me cause his son cheap shot me and i hit him....the next time we played in warm ups he told me and i quote "see you took your face mask off ( i was wearing a full cage for most of the year untill this game) now im going to rip your f-ing face off" lol well needless to say 20 secs into the game the guy took a run at me knocked me down and ripped my helmet off. that leauge if you got in a fight you were thrown out being it was only about 3 or 4 games in i didnt want to loose my 400 bucks that i paid to play so after the ref blew the wistle the guy turned around and just layed into me i had it on tape and after reviewing it recieved 20+ shots to the face...funny thing though. I got up laughin at the guy my addrenaline was running so high that i didnt feel a thing i just laughed the whole time said my teammates then after the refs broke it up i got up smiling at him and blew him a kiss mouth bloody and big a$$ cut on my forehead from a ring then skated off the ice cause for some reason i got kicked out of the game. they told me i swung back but from the video i didnt. and besides i still had both my gloves on and stick in my hand when the refs came to break it up....haha

Oh and not to say im a bad *** about laughin at the guy or takin 20 punches to the face...cause the next day i was deff feeling it..just not during the game

MrAlfie

Cappy76 said:
I'm 20 yrs old and play in a beer league in Va...before i joined this league i was playin in another league and this guy about 40 or so got pissed at me cause his son cheap shot me and i hit him....the next time we played in warm ups he told me and i quote "see you took your face mask off ( i was wearing a full cage for most of the year untill this game) now im going to rip your f-ing face off" lol well needless to say 20 secs into the game the guy took a run at me knocked me down and ripped my helmet off. that leauge if you got in a fight you were thrown out being it was only about 3 or 4 games in i didnt want to loose my 400 bucks that i paid to play so after the ref blew the wistle the guy turned around and just layed into me i had it on tape and after reviewing it recieved 20+ shots to the face...funny thing though. I got up laughin at the guy my addrenaline was running so high that i didnt feel a thing i just laughed the whole time said my teammates then after the refs broke it up i got up smiling at him and blew him a kiss mouth bloody and big a$$ cut on my forehead from a ring then skated off the ice cause for some reason i got kicked out of the game. they told me i swung back but from the video i didnt. and besides i still had both my gloves on and stick in my hand when the refs came to break it up....haha

Oh and not to say im a bad *** about laughin at the guy or takin 20 punches to the face...cause the next day i was deff feeling it..just not during the game

i demand the video, sir! :D

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Cappy76 said:

Just a suggestion. Next time put your gloves in front of your face.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Try the Wade Belak manoever:

Grab his jersey right under his chin, and then duck back as far as you can out of the danger zone. Jab him lightly in the chin until you feel you've proven your point, and then bear-hug the guy and fall over.

Grizzly Adams

May 28, 2002
San Jose
tbone77 said:
If you're an adult and are fighting at rec hockey then I think you might be mental.

You're willing to get your face mashed up for work/life because of a game you pay to play. Ouch.

To each his own though.

true, but there are many anger management cases that play rec hockey.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I've been in quite a few fights...I don't go out provoking them but it's more like if someone is cheatshotting my team I'm not going to let him get away with that.

One pretty memorable moment was this one time where this huge guy was going around elbowing and slashing everything and for whatever reason wasn't getting called for it (I think the refs were scared of him). Eventually I had enough of it and I skated up to him, shoved him hard, and then slowly took my helmet off and laid it down on the ice. Then I calmly dropped my gloves and pointed at him and did the "bring it."

It was probably the most badass moment of my life. I was sure this guy was going to kill me but he chickened out and backed off. Everyone on my team said it was the most intimidating thing they've ever seen.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I don't drop them now as much as I used to. At 18 and playing for fun, sure you have to be competitive and you may play dirty occasionally, but I don't want to lose any chicklets unless someone keeps running me or keeps taking liberties with one of my teammates. Before I used to drop them just for fun..

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I got into a fight in my adult league a month ago with this stupid as* who kept taking cheap shots at our players and challenging them to fights (he was like 21-22 and he was challenging 38 year olds)....so i was on the ice and he elbow on of our teammates and he came in and just started throwing punches and he did as well.....im 20 so I didn't really think about "my day job" or whatever because I go to college...I could just tell people i got into a bar brawl ;).

Anyway....definitly not worth it, i got suspended 2 games and if I get another Game Misconduct im suspended for a year.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
tbone77 said:
Mine would kill me.

Me too.

One night, in a pretty ordinary game, a player just seemed to want to get it on with me. My wife was in the stands. She never comes to see me play. I was on D, and on a face off, the opposing centerman, just drops his stick at the face off, slowly skates past our centerman and right to me. I started skating backwards... I looked over at my wife and shrugged my shoulders... I knew she did not want me to fight.

After a few strides, I looked back at her. She gave me the thumbs up. I planted my right foot behind me and plowed him with a right, directly to his face. He fell backwards and the entire two teams piled on top of me.

He got kicked out, I got a five minute. As he was leaving my wife was hysterically screaming at him all the way down the corridor. She was so scared that I may have been hurt. She never came back to another game.

I did not have a scratch, but he has a bloody mess. One punch.... bang, down.

That was the most memorable since I retired to the beer leagues.

In junior -- got in one of those preplanned fights off a faceoff. We were circling each other, tossed our gear and spun our buckets on the ice...then I fell over onto my arse. Most embarrasing 2 minute minor EVER.

Anyways -- What I always liked to do, especially against taller guys, is get a good grip with the left on his inside of his sweater (I throw right), bear hug, and toss quick rights to the back/side of his noodle, then wrestle him down. If all goes well, I throw 6 punches, my hand kinda hurts, his head is a little sore, and he missed/didn't throw 2 or 3 punches, then use my leverage i learned wrestling when I was like 12 in junior high to get him to the ice.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
We had our WOMEN'S game called because of a fight.

One of our little girls took an elbow in the corner, and she gave a good hard shove back. It boiled over. The goalie got involved (their goalie) and three of their players.

So I went in to grab the goalie off of our girl and the goalie (who is HUGE) got me in a headlock and started whacking me with her blocker. My neck freaking hurts now.

Anyway, they called the game, though no one got any suspensions. But we have a tournament this weekend....hope we can get over this...

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Cappy76 said:

I would have jumped on him and coughed blood all over him like Tyler Durden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad