Drew Stafford/Michael Funk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

outKast*

JOHNBOY said:
Anyone have any info, insight, opinions on these 2 guys?

:help:
The Oilers really wanted Stafford. consider yourself lucky. He's a big guy who's more of a playmaker than a scorer. Not highly skilled but works hard and compares his game to Ryan Smyth.

X-SHARKIE

Stafford skating has really improved this season and can almost be seen now as a strength.

His size and the way he uses it is also a big reason why I thought he was going top 10. Stafford is a brute in the corners, and really plays a great NHL style game.

He has raw finishing tools but doesn't have the mind set or confidence yet to score on his own, mabey it's because he was a freshman and a checker for the WJC's.

Stafford has great vision, soft hands, and is a good play maker. He simply makes players around him better, he opens up ice for them, he plays a sound defensive game, he works very hard in the corners and creates alot of chances for his linemates and can finish when given the opertunity.
Basically Drew Stafford is the perfect linemate for a skilled finisher....Waite you have one! Thomas Vanek :)
Michael Funk is a guy I personally like, it seems some people like him and others really don't care for him. Michael is a big big defensman who moves quite well, A very quick stride and he moves fast, a good skater, agility is medicore, nothing great, nothing bad. He has a soft set of hands for a defensman his size.
The only thing that seems to be knocking him is his hockey awareness witch is a big draw back.
I want a player who knows the game. It's not that Funk is dumb, it's just that he makes very very risky plays with the puck. I only saw him play twice for Portland and he made three turn overs. Mostly when he tries to skate the puck out of the zone on his own is when he gets caught. He has good vision and moves the puck well, it's just when he tries to skate it him self is when he gets in trouble.
He shows alot of raw skill, but untill he learns not to pass it up the middle, or skate it out on his own when getting pressured, he'll struggle.

He's got alot of upside. He's big, he's physical, but not mean, he's a good skater, good set of hands and moves the puck well, big shot.
I still would much rather have Wes O'Neil but this was a solid pick.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
X-SHARKIE said:
It's not that Funk is dumb, it's just that he makes very very risky plays with the puck. I only saw him play twice for Portland and he made three turn overs. Mostly when he tries to skate the puck out of the zone on his own is when he gets caught. He has good vision and moves the puck well, it's just when he tries to skate it him self is when he gets in trouble.

Sounds like a bigger version of another Buffalo prospect Doug Janik.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
As far as his skating goes I ve seen Stafford play and his skating is above par. And for his size it is very good. I ve watched him on olympic ice and regular rinks. Can play in the corners or can skate up and down. Looks like a complete forward to me. So sign him and get him out of NoDak.

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
I think what a lot of people didn't like in Funk this season, was that he didn't seem to really improve. He came to the Winterhawks as a bit of an unknown to the fans, and surprised most by being a truly solid Dman as a 16 yr old. He went on to win the Hawks rookie of the year team award. This season, expectations were high for him, based on his rookie year, and this being his draft year. I can pretty safely state most Winterhawks fans were disappointed. From my view, he showed little improvement from his rookie season, if not even a bit of regression. He went from being a Dman I was glad to see on the ice, to one that frightened me to have on the ice, especially late in a game when the score was close.

Postives: He can skate. He surprised many by having one of the fastest times at the Winterhawks skills challenge. Does have a decent shot, but rarely uses it.

Negatives: Rarely takes the body, or tries to take the body with a poor choice of check (like a hip check when the player with the puck is blazing by you). Who ever posted about his lack of hockey knowledge is probably right on, as Funk either hesistates or makes a very poor decision sometimes with the puck. Having Funk at the point on the power play would drive a saint to drink. While I can understand there isn't always a lane to shoot through, that can't be true for every game and every power play. I can hardly remember a point shot from Funk for the entire season last year while the Hawks were on the PP.

The potential is there, but Funk has a ways to go before being NHL caliber. He needs to bulk up a lot, and needs to show more consistency. Hopefully, some of that consistency will come with maturity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->