Drew Remenda joins HNIC

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Personally, I always felt that Remenda was a bit to biased in regards to the Sharks. He provides a lot of energy, and in a non-team broadcast, I can see him doing a good job.

Last edited:

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Personally, I always felt that Remenda was a bit to biased in regards to the Sharks. He provides a lot of engery, and in a non-team broadcast, I can see him doing a good job.

He had been pretty biased, as most color analysts are, but he really tuned it back this past season. Very, very frank in his commentary. He'll do great in this job. I still wish he was in San Jose, but he had to leave because of his family.

mciampa

Apr 10, 2006
With all the triple headers this season, it was only a matter of time before CBC hired a third colour commentator full time.

And Scott Morrison replaces John Davidson I assume.

gooseman

Drew is a hockey guy and will be fine on a national basis in CA. His bias towards the Sharks is strictly due to closeness to them and unavoidable when a guy is with a team from the beginning, he was and assistant coach, and he simple knows the guys well and likes them. He also knows guys elsewhere in the league. With a little separation from the Sharks he will do well. He often got criticized here in SJ for being too hard on some of the Sharks and not being enough of a homer but people who wanted everything painted teal. He goes overboard sometimes with his enthusiasm, a bit of the Panger in him, but if is usually very quinine and normally palletable.

Superfluous U

Jan 15, 2004
At a Stone Prison on a Hill
Drew is a hockey guy and will be fine on a national basis in CA. His bias towards the Sharks is strictly due to closeness to them and unavoidable when a guy is with a team from the beginning, he was and assistant coach, and he simple knows the guys well and likes them. He also knows guys elsewhere in the league. With a little separation from the Sharks he will do well. He often got criticized here in SJ for being too hard on some of the Sharks and not being enough of a homer but people who wanted everything painted teal. He goes overboard sometimes with his enthusiasm, a bit of the Panger in him, but if is usually very quinine and normally palletable.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.
Unless he actually cures malaria. That'd be super.

Sounds good to me. I saw him a few times on the Hotstove and during the Oilers-Sharks series and he seemed very knowledgable.

jpsharkfan

Jun 10, 2004
I don't think that word means what you think it means.
Unless he actually cures malaria. That'd be super.

Sounds good to me. I saw him a few times on the Hotstove and during the Oilers-Sharks series and he seemed very knowledgable.

Drew is great. His love of the game is infectious and he calls a spade a spade. He does a great job explaining the game. As a newbie years back, Drews explanations helped make the game make a lot more sense for me. He does a great job bringing the game to life for new fans.

San Jose fans were very sorry to see him go.

Lupul*

Personally, I always felt that Remenda was a bit to biased in regards to the Sharks. He provides a lot of engery, and in a non-team broadcast, I can see him doing a good job.

huge understatement

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
While Drew was always biased towards the Sharks...and I hope he would be considering that they pay him :sarcasm: The one thing that I really liked about him is that when the Sharks were playing like crap, he would say that they are playing like crap and not sugar coat poor plays and such. He would also compliment the opposition if they were playing better than the Sharks as well.

Drew knows his hockey, is smart and intelligent. I think he'll be a great fit on HNIC because he is not your typical color guy (ie, dull and drab and states the obvious). He is full of energy and takes complicated hockey jargon and turns it into something that is simple and easy to understand.

Grizzly Adams

May 28, 2002
San Jose
He was a coach in the NHL he should know his hockey, but I never really liked him as a color guy. I do think that he does have a pretty good knowlede of the game, but he would often go of on aimless tangents while broadcasting, and his bias was a bit too much for me, he also had a pretty bad voice, personality, and presence when on air. As a San Jose native, I am excited to hear about who replaces him.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I saw him on Off The Record a little while back, and he was the stupidest, baldest, sharks homer I'd ever seen

The Overseer*

Anything would be better than Millen. Hope it's his replacement.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
drew remenda is a phenominal hockey man and a favorite of most who hear him. he has a radio show he does out of saskatoon. and what great announcer(that is a broadcaster from one team only) isnt a objective homer.
i send my sympathies to sharks fan who lose mr remenda, and i am very excited to be able to see and hear more of his work. congratulation drew !!

shuriken

Apr 20, 2006
Sharks bias huh, could it have anything to do with the fact that he was hired as the Sharks color analyst and FSN Bay Area? :sarcasm:

Compare him to some other analysts in the league and you notice that he's very frank and pretty darn neutral.

He'll be EVEN better at HNIC.

Good move by CBC.

mooseOAK*

He will, without a doubt, IMO. He's from Alberta, and the only reason he left SJ was to be with his family in Alberta.

Saskatchewan.

I'm not even a Sharks fan but feel that Remenda is one of the best colour guys out there.

gooseman

Sharks fans should not feel too bad. Jamie Baker will in all likelihood either keep radio or take over TV color, and he is different voice cut from a very similar mode. Almost all of those who listened to him last season were very pleased. Obviously knows the game, is funny, and does not pull punches, at least not more than is needed for the broadcast, and is very passionate about the game, exactly what you want in a color man.

Some of the few you will hear calling Drew a homer are Edmonton fans, people who continue to deny some of the fact of life. Drew will not hesitate to call a cheap shot exactly that, regardless of who throws it. I heard him call for Sharks to be suspended on marginal hits for example, because it was a type of hit he deplored. Between satellite radio and center ice I have seen a good share of the color guys around the league, and few or less of homers, and more promoters of the game than Drew.

A few hints for some of his tendencies, if he says someone is a great referee, one of his favorites, it means it is someone he has repeatedly criticized and been reprimanded by the league. If someone is "his guy", that is a player he really likes, may go out for drinks with and such, and applies to almost every Shark, past or present, and at least 75% of the rest of the league. The players truly seem to like him, and that has always seemed to apply to visiting players in SJ as well as home guys. He has been well enough respected that when he publicly blasted home players, including guys who tended to pout and avoid the media, they still took it well and continued to openly talk with him. Some of his shows on "Sharks Bytes" are legendary, the local show for which he won Emmys, including segments in which Kyle McLaren pounded him with hip checks, Scott Hannan repeatedly high-sticked him demonstrating how to seal someone to the boards, and Marco Sturm discarded him like a rag-doll showing how to build a wall while power skating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->