Dressing Sheep in Wolves Clothing (Mod Warning page 35)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Had no idea what you guys were talking about, after watching it a couple times I'd say 5 minutes and a game misconduct. Super dangerous spot on the ice, and a little push is all it takes.

If they had called it that way I can't see it also getting a suspension.

What the **** was the ref looking at though?

To me, not suspension worthy, but that's 5 and a game to me.

It's dirty, Kane has no reason to put his stick horizontal into Benning's lower-back and knock him off balance. He even had a step on Benning, Kane could of easily gained inside position to win the puck battle. Dirty and lazy.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I find it interesting that a team that has 4 good fighter (or had) in Lucic, Kassian, Maroon and Nurse is getting run, but I have watched a lot of Edmonton games this year and agree, the guys that should be stepping up and setting a physical tone aren't

I also agree Lucic has checked out and if Boston could get him with Edmonton retaining 50% I still feel he would be very useful here.

I do have to wonder if the lack of response is a directive from the coaching staff, I can't see Lucic and previously Maroon allowing their teammates to be run unless they are being told not to retaliate.

As much as I am disappointed in Boston not having enough toughness players have tried to answer when a teammate was given a questionable hit Schaller and Kuraly have tried they just aren't very good at it. A full season with McQuaid would have helped, hopefully Wingells, who isn't a fighter but is definitely a pain to play against resigns next year. Based on what I saw of him in Worcester and San Jose he would be a nice addition.

I witnessed with my own eyes Steve Santini and Miles Wood giving McDavid and RNH shots after the play and behind the whistle and those four doing nothing. Just turned and skated off. Eric Gryba was the only one who said something and that was to one of the smaller Devils, I forget which one. They give zero *****

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
So where do you lay the blame? I understand it happening to a team in a certain moment with a specific set of personalities, but a decade+ of dysfunction has to be ownership, doesn't it? Not being an Oilers fan I have no idea, but a player of Looch's talent, no matter how slow he is getting ought to be doing much better than he is this year.

I definitely think there was a bias trickle down effect that started with ownership... they put such a high priority on speed and skill for years. when that skill was gretzky and kurri and coffey it was ok... they won

but then that skill became names like carson and satan and lesser names and the team stopped winning

meanwhile the guys had the well deserved nickname boys on the bus... and was considered to be a party team. rumors of excessive partying was going on

this set the team identity... once that group of winners moved on... the team started to have ownership problems. peter puck became a crook. then the team was community owned without any real money behind it. sather left and new management was weak.

the team was almost a victim of past success... speed and skill won so they kept going for more and more... but the league was a rougher league. the club began to be pushed around a lot.

some heavyweights were brought in... guys like louie debrusk and georges laraque... but these guys wanted to be players not goons. the team started having a reputation that their hws wont protect their guys

this was never a team that did scrums after the whistle. they would rely on 1 guy to fight for the team

I guess its a combination of locker room leadership and management but it only really changed one year when pronger and Michael peca came to town. having 2 iconic leaders with that much power changed it. and then both guys couldn't get out of town fast enough.

Andrew ference is one of the strongest off ice leaders... and he was destroyed by this experience. shut right up.

I'm really not sure how to change it... but I think you need to go the pronger/peca route to even try. boston did the same thing ourselves when we had to let thornton/Boynton/raycroft go. we brought in 5-6 outsiders all in a year who were all known as strong locker room voices

if a locker room gets too hurt it takes several players working together from the outside to bring in a new culture

Reactions: Dr Hook and Thrive

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
louie debrusk and bob staufer talking about the oilers situation now... and in the past between 1230 and 1... the talk is entirely about playing with grit... competing... the role of hw... the role of fighting in hockey

all programming on 630 is kept in their audio vault for the next couple weeks... just go to the date you want... the time you want... and it plays like its live

anyone that wants a very indepth discussion on fighting and how it relates to the team winning... can see what louie has to say. bob staufer is a huge fight fan for those who don't know him.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
big topic on edmonton radio today... benning got run by kane and san jose last night with no push back in another team loss

its happened all year. the team fights alot but never comes to each others aid.

dressing goons wont matter... sticking up for each other does

Hopefully keeping Krejci instead of building around Seguin or Spooner pays off...

Kane didn’t “run” Benning :laugh:

I was watching and it was one of those little pushes to the back, Benning lost an edge and went hard into the boards and hit hard. Ref was two feet away and didn’t call anything.

Personally, I thought he should have gotten two minutes, but don’t think there was any intent. Lucic v Kane would be a good fight, but my money would be on Looch. He’s probably in a pretty bad mood after not scoring for this long.

didn't see it myself... only going based on what I hear about 30 experts say on various talk shows out of Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary

you see it much different then every single other person ive heard discussing the play

I don’t go by what biased “experts” say, I look at it myself.

Like I said, should have been a two minute penalty. Nothing more.

Hardly what I would call a big hit.

Cheap hit from behind to throw a player off balance into the boards. Example 1A of why there should be no instigator. Face to the boards, pushed from behind 3 feet from boards knowing player will crash head first into boards or at least chest first, weak and cowardly, what I would expect from Kane.

Don't think he should be suspended but an Oiler should have fought him

Had no idea what you guys were talking about, after watching it a couple times I'd say 5 minutes and a game misconduct. Super dangerous spot on the ice, and a little push is all it takes.

If it was Marchand it would have been 5 and a suspension to follow. No, it wasn't brutal hit, but it was dirty, and Kane knew what he was doing. It should have been called, I agree. I am so glad we didn't get him on our team as some wanted.

To me, not suspension worthy, but that's 5 and a game to me.

It's dirty, Kane has no reason to put his stick horizontal into Benning's lower-back and knock him off balance. He even had a step on Benning, Kane could of easily gained inside position to win the puck battle. Dirty and lazy.

I would call it reckless, not dirty.

Should have been a penalty and Edmonton should have responded.

Here are a few additional angles:

After seeing it from multiple angles, it looked as if Kane was going for a pin and Benning either caught an edge or went down a little easy.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
That's why it's so dangerous to even give a little push there, it doesn't take much.

I don't think it was malicious, just careless. But that doesn't absolve Kane. Like I said, 5 and a game seems like the right call to me. Ref done messed up.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I can't buy he was going for a pin, Benning was too far from the boards and Kane leaned into the crosscheck a bit- it's a typical dirty play that we see all the time. It's a wonder more guys aren't seriously hurt from crap like this. It just isn't necessary.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
I agree it’s dangerous. I’m probably wrong, I just thought the first angle that was shown looked way worse than others.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

He was literally 2-3 feet from the play. I didn’t think it was egregious enough for a 5 based on how they call it other times I have seen it (and because it wasn’t a hard shove). I agree that it’s a dangerous play, but it literally happens several times a game and often goes unpunished.

He certainly didn’t “run him” which is what I was responding to.

Reactions: Thrive

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
If it was Marchand it would have been 5 and a suspension to follow. No, it wasn't brutal hit, but it was dirty, and Kane knew what he was doing. It should have been called, I agree. I am so glad we didn't get him on our team as some wanted.

While you are correct (about Marchand) I have tried to stop thinking like this because it drives me absolutely f***ing nuts, and I don’t need the stress.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I wanted to post this here so I know where to find it. I posted awhile back that an NHL survey done 4 years had players vote Chara toughest guy in the league. It was in THN. Lets say I was highly doubted by the masses.

Well as luck would have it the NHLPA just finished a poll of many things with 500 NHL players.

So Chara isn’t considered toughest guy in the NHL by his peers. He has at ripe old age of 40 dropped to third place.

The problem with the Blackhawks? Inadequate depth at every position - The Boston Globe

Reactions: Krupp

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
sunhock0318.jpg

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I wanted to post this here so I know where to find it. I posted awhile back that an NHL survey done 4 years had players vote Chara toughest guy in the league. It was in THN. Lets say I was highly doubted by the masses.

Well as luck would have it the NHLPA just finished a poll of many things with 500 NHL players.

So Chara isn’t considered toughest guy in the NHL by his peers. He has at ripe old age of 40 dropped to third place.

The problem with the Blackhawks? Inadequate depth at every position - The Boston Globe
Best part about it is you know he will work his tail off to be even tougher next year- and the year after...

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
So Almost half of the players polled are basically afraid of ryan reaves? I thought these types of players had no effect?

if you asked me the toughest police officer in the edmontin... i would have to name someone

if you asked if im afraid, id have to say no

sure that cop could kick the crap out of me... but most cops can

theres rules that stop them... consequences if they go ape on me. if i live my life within the rules it really doesnt matter who the toughest cop is

im not afraid... and it has zero effect how i live. it would only matter if i was in a fight

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
if you asked me the toughest police officer in the edmontin... i would have to name someone

if you asked if im afraid, id have to say no

sure that cop could kick the crap out of me... but most cops can

theres rules that stop them... consequences if they go ape on me. if i live my life within the rules it really doesnt matter who the toughest cop is

im not afraid... and it has zero effect how i live. it would only matter if i was in a fight

Right. If I'm polled I'm saying Chara or Bergeron...Kopitar...not some thug, but I guess he makes some of these guys stay on their best behavior so they don't have to deal with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->