TSN: Dreger: JVR not expected back

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
JVR & Bozak won't be back which is okay. We have a lot of foot soldiers in the waiting who will clearly replace them.

Although we could of gotten a lot for JVR at the trade deadline; he will surely help us in this playoff run.

Leafs have their core; and need to free up cap space for the BIG THREE.

We don't really have a ready made replacement for Bozak, unless you count Nylander who hasn't really proven he can be an effective centre in the NHL just yet. Doesn't mean he can't do the job, but it would be a huge goal to create.

On top of that, if you lose Bozak and JVR you are crippling one of the best PP units in the league. In theory we should be able to make one good unit, but there's no guarantee the chemistry will click like the Bozak unit has.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Which one?

I was referring to JVR. I think the Leafs will & should discuss options with the 3 UFA vets for next year on a short term basis but I think JVR is very unlikely due to his market value. Depending on what we can get, Bozzy for 2x4 max and Leo at 2x2 may be ok options.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Remember when Buffalo gave a 3rd round pick to have a chance to have coffee with Vesey?

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Have to wonder the source, timing and reason for this. You absolutely know this doesn't come from the Leafs side. Taking that, what is the benefit to JVR for his side to get this out?

Maybe JVR wants to re-sign and is thinking a little public pressure will help with the negotiating. If JVR bolts I don't see how this helps. Am I missing something?

You might be missing Matthews, Nylander, and Marner's future contract as well as well as Marleau at 6.25 for the next two years.

JVR is going to either have to take a big discount from market value or take a short term deal. That's gonna be hard to swallow just to stay with the Leafs.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
You might be missing Matthews, Nylander, and Marner's future contract as well as well as Marleau at 6.25 for the next two years.

JVR is going to either have to take a big discount from market value or take a short term deal. That's gonna be hard to swallow just to stay with the Leafs.

That is very much from the Leafs side.

I am curious why JVRs side wanted this to get out. How does it benefit him that this news went public?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
That is very much from the Leafs side.

I am curious why JVRs side wanted this to get out. How does it benefit him that this news went public?
Why are we assuming he let this out? This could be just rambling nonsense from Dreger.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Why are we assuming he let this out? This could be just rambling nonsense from Dreger.
That's possible. I still hold Dreger as someone who wouldn't invent fake news for the sake of it, but maybe I'm wrong on that. I don't see him as one of the better insiders, but I think he's above the fake news game.

I also don't think there's any chance this comes from the Leaf side.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
That's possible. I still hold Dreger as someone who wouldn't invent fake news for the sake of it, but maybe I'm wrong on that. I don't see him as one of the better insiders, but I think he's above the fake news game.

I also don't think there's any chance this comes from the Leaf side.
Dreger is speculating like all of us.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
It is common knowledge that there have been no talks. Perhaps everyone wants to see what happens this playoff ? For all we know Leafs will take JVR, Bozak and Lupul off the books(about $14M) and take a pitch for Tavares as well. If we lose first round it is very doubtful we pay him $6M plus/yr LT. The good news is JVR will be very motivated.

Headline: JVR knows if he has a bad playoff he may not be back, possibly but he isn't really sure.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Let's face it, the moment JVR struggles Leaf fans would freak at his 8 year contract.
Just look at Kapanen's skill. Dude is wasted on the 4th line.

Reactions: dsred

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Let's say they bring him back at 6x6, then in a year Nylander and Marner will be getting 7 each. Matthews 10. That's 30 M in just 4 players. You decide if that's good cap management or not.

I think it could be good cap management if those players are among the leading scorers on the team and putting up 60 or more points every season.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I was referring to JVR. I think the Leafs will & should discuss options with the 3 UFA vets for next year on a short term basis but I think JVR is very unlikely due to his market value. Depending on what we can get, Bozzy for 2x4 max and Leo at 2x2 may be ok options.

I'm not sure we offer Bozak $4M. They might look to upgrade(3C) if Nylander isn't ready. I'm not sure anyone else can play with Mathews yet either. If we lose first round, there will be some changes.

Reactions: 54thecup

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It’s close to top lop line money at least.

I just don’t see the Leafs management wanting to tie up 12 million on Marleau/JVR when they play the same role - at least not if they intend on spending more money on the D or centre positions.

Marleau's contact will not be a factor in a couple of years.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I'm not sure we offer Bozak $4M. They might look to upgrade(3C) if Nylander isn't ready. I'm not sure anyone else can play with Mathews yet either. If we lose first round, there will be some changes.
I think even if we win there will be changes. This team is too young to make big changes if they go out in the first round. Florida still hasn't recovered from doing that.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marleau's contact will not be a factor in a couple of years.

It is potential issue for the 2019-2020 season, the big three will all be on their next contracts and the Leafs cap situation will be much tighter. I’m not negative on marleau, but the Leafs will likely need to shed some salary if they’d like to add a 10-11ish million JT under contract for that season

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Except there won't be because you aren't just losing JvRs 30-30, you're losing Komarov's 10-10 and likely Martin's 5-5, and replacing that with 3 players (Kapanen, Leivo and Johnsson) who've demonstrated that (a) they are together easily capable of covering the above's 45-45 while providing superior defense when compared to JvR and Martin not to mention 2 out of the 3 have been on the Marlies PK the last couple years, so are positioned to replace Komarov in that area as well. All costing 1/3 of what JvR, Komarov and Martin currently do. I'd say its at least a wash if not a slight improvement effectiveness wise and a definite huge savings that can be put to use where the team is actually deficient. hint: that's not on the wings.

If it's a package deal, sure. But why is JVR being lumped in with Komarov and Martin? Unlike the others, JVR is the only one who's skill set can't be replaced internally.

We can't ice a team with only speed and skill on the wings. We also need a guy who can score consistently in the dirty areas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->