TSN: Dreger: JVR not expected back

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Lol Dreger.

I remember thinking to myself at that time Vesey didn't sign with the Leafs, that's ok because they still had Nylander and Marner upcoming along with Matthews. We also saw what Connor Brown was able to do in a limited amount of games during the 2015-2016 season.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He probably chatted with JVR's agent and that was his takeaway,
Even if that's true it's still not much of a thing to report. During the Leafs broadcast last Thursday when Bob McKenzie was on the TSN panel he said when the Leafs signed Patrick Marleau that likely meant the end for JVR, because of the money Marleau was given might have been used to re-sign JVR.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Be great if we could sign and trade him.

Be the smart thing to do. That is unless we get reasonable rate and keep him. I know I am all for keeping him at this point because you just can't let guys walk for nothing, not players of his value.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
It seems like a bad idea that we gave Marleau three years. Given the choice I'd rather have kept JVR.

Marleau scores less (1.19 P1/60 vs 1.69 P1/60, all ES), has a 1.71 GS/60 (relative to JVR's 2.49), and would probably even have the same, or lower cap hit, despite obviously being much younger.

Marleau was a terrible deal on a player we didn't need and prevents us from keeping a younger, better, and cheaper player.

There were cheaper options to find someone to snuggle Marner.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Let's say they bring him back at 6x6, then in a year Nylander and Marner will be getting 7 each. Matthews 10. That's 30 M in just 4 players. You decide if that's good cap management or not.

JVR is a foregone conclusion. More for term than AAV. Pens have Crosby, Malkin, Phil and Letang making close to $30M and they have back to back SCs. The problem is not paying stars big money. Problem is overpaying average and below average players.

Reactions: NoTouchIcing

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marleau scores less (1.19 P1/60 vs 1.69 P1/60, all ES), has a 1.71 GS/60 (relative to JVR's 2.49), and would probably even have the same, or lower cap hit, despite obviously being much younger.

Marleau was a terrible deal on a player we didn't need and prevents us from keeping a younger, better, and cheaper player.

Signing JVR for 6 or more years may not be a wise move. The key to the Marleau deal is trading the 3rd year of the contract.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
JVR is a foregone conclusion. More for term than AAV. Pens have Crosby, Malkin, Phil and Letang making close to $30M and they have back to back SCs. The problem is not paying stars big money. Problem is overpaying average and below average players.

We would already have Rielly, Andersen, Matthews, Marner, Willy at about 34 M. Maybe a bit less depending on if Willy and/or Marner take a bit less. That's why re-signing JvR at 6 x 6 is a no go for me.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
That's more worrying on Babcock's end TBH.
How? He saw potential in a player? He saw potential in Hyman and everyone else thought it was a terribly bad idea. Veery appears to suck now but could have looked real good on Matthews wing. We will never know.

I don’t think Marleau was that bad of a deal. When JVR leaves we’ll still need good LW’s

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
JvR was out the door the second they decided to give Marleau his deal.

He's a limited player, but his high level goal scoring ability, particularly around the net, is something that the Leafs will miss. For all the youth in the organization, they don't have a ready-made JvR replacement.

So it's going to hurt losing him, but ultimately it'll be the right decision.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Would much rather move Marleau if possible or even let Bozo walk and move Gards to resign JVR. He's just far too valuable at LW and what he provides on the PP and in front of the net in general. I do think Leivo has the potential to take his spot on that line but he doesn't seem to be the same type of player.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Would much rather move Marleau if possible or even let Bozo walk and move Gards to resign JVR. He's just far too valuable at LW and what he provides on the PP and in front of the net in general. I do think Leivo has the potential to take his spot on that line but he doesn't seem to be the same type of player.

Finding a potential replacement for a PP forward is much easier than replacing a 5v5 minute-munching D-man.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Love jvr. Would take him on a short term deal. If not. I wish him the best. He tried to give my son a puck while the rest of the team walked off head down! Stand up guy.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

Klinton

Feb 6, 2017
JVR & Bozak won't be back which is okay. We have a lot of foot soldiers in the waiting who will clearly replace them.

Although we could of gotten a lot for JVR at the trade deadline; he will surely help us in this playoff run.

Leafs have their core; and need to free up cap space for the BIG THREE.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Even if that's true it's still not much of a thing to report. During the Leafs broadcast last Thursday when Bob McKenzie was on the TSN panel he said when the Leafs signed Patrick Marleau that likely meant the end for JVR, because of the money Marleau was given might have been used to re-sign JVR.

The original plan when they started talking about Marleau was to move JVR for a D (aka Hamonic). That didn't work and there were no real offers for a decent D, so they kept JVR and rolled with strength in offense. Something that has paid off in spades.

Reactions: Cotton and Keon1963

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad