TSN: Dreger: JVR not expected back

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

6 x 6 was floated as a contract possibility, but no dialogue vs the two parties.
7 year term per some teams at a 6+ million dollar player.

And a poster on the thread quoted Bobby Mac saying that bozak won't be back unless he takes a hometown discount.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Bozak would HAVE to take a discount in my mind. And only on a short-term deal
JVR - it will be interesting, but if they bow out early in the playoffs and he walks for nothing - that's going to sting

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Tough, his goals have been valuable but if we knew we weren’t having him back I would have traded him at the deadline for something decent. From a long term perspective it made so much more sense to trade him then. Will be looking forward to the playoff run, but it will sting a bit to see JVR go for free when we could have got something for him..

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
giphy.gif

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This seems like a bit of a captain obvious thread.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Tough, his goals have been valuable but if we knew we weren’t having him back I would have traded him at the deadline for something decent. From a long term perspective it made so much more sense to trade him then. Will be looking forward to the playoff run, but it will sting a bit to see JVR go for free when we could have got something for him..
We'll likely see more pending UFA's walk. It's what happens to good team.s

Reactions: OddyOh

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
We'll likely see more pending UFA's walk. It's what happens to good team.s

And honestly we know it’s for the best it’s just the attachment we have to a guy like JVR who’s given us nothing but production the whole time he’s been here. That said, we’ve seen the contracts given out on July 1st and more often than not they turn out to be real duds. Imagine JVR goes to a team and starts dudding it up, we’ll feel a lot better about that, but let’s say he goes to a team for the classic 6x6 and flourishes while his replacement on the Leafs (say Johnsson) doesn’t fill his shoes in full, it would probably leave us feeling rattled about letting JVR walk... you just never know

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Both are good players that can fill roles, and they will continue to do so in the NHL either here or elsewhere going forward. Contracts tend to play a part in things, but sometimes it's about bringing in others via internal promotion or trade/free agency that also fit in better from a team perspective.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
And honestly we know it’s for the best it’s just the attachment we have to a guy like JVR who’s given us nothing but production the whole time he’s been here. That said, we’ve seen the contracts given out on July 1st and more often than not they turn out to be real duds. Imagine JVR goes to a team and starts dudding it up, we’ll feel a lot better about that, but let’s say he goes to a team for the classic 6x6 and flourishes while his replacement on the Leafs (say Johnsson) doesn’t fill his shoes in full, it would probably leave us feeling rattled about letting JVR walk... you just never know
I imagine the reality for JVR is somewhere in the middle. Probably JVR type years. 2 meh years. 2 bad ones.

Better to walk away a bit early than a bit late.
(Patriots do this. And Dubby is a Pats fan)

Reactions: SAMCRO44

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Have to wonder the source, timing and reason for this. You absolutely know this doesn't come from the Leafs side. Taking that, what is the benefit to JVR for his side to get this out?

Maybe JVR wants to re-sign and is thinking a little public pressure will help with the negotiating. If JVR bolts I don't see how this helps. Am I missing something?

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Dreger knows NOTHING Leaf related.
Pure speculation and/or educated guesswork at its finest.

JVR likely cannot be retained after this year due to cap limitations, how is this even a story?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I think JvR still has probably 3 more years of top line producrion in him. Unfortunately due to the way our cap structure is going to look very soon we wont be able to afford him.

Very good player for us and a bit underrated and under appreciated I think.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I want the guy to stay. We have strength on the right wing but this will leave a hole on the left side.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I want the guy to stay. We have strength on the right wing but this will leave a hole on the left side.

Marleau
Hyman
Johnsson
Leivo
Martin
Grundstrom
Marchment
T. Moore
Timashov

Even without JVR, there are at least 4 players there that can be regulars in the lineup next season.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Dreger has been saying this for weeks, nothing new here!

We could afford him for one year but I would rather us spend ~5-6 M on a RHD going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad