TSN: Dreger and Mckenzie's Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Clearly you don't watch a whole lot of hockey. Marleau is an extremely good player, and quite honestly deserves a spot on TC. I've been a Sharks fan since I was a child, FWIW. Marleau played quite well last Olympics - you're thinking of Thornton and Heatley. But your ignorant statement just affirms my previous assertion about you not watching hockey.

I just watched the semis and gold medal game from 2010 - invisible, as usual, when it matters. FOr all three of them.

I've watched more hockey than most, not saying I know the most, but I've seen Marleau his whole career.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I just watched the semis and gold medal game from 2010 - invisible, as usual, when it matters. FOr all three of them.

I've watched more hockey than most, not saying I know the most, but I've seen Marleau his whole career.

Marleau isn't the kind of player that makes highlight reel plays. He quietly shuts down top lines, while providing great scoring himself. Then realize his experience, elite skating and versatility.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
If i'm PK and he's not named on the Top 6, I say screw them as a reserve. He should say "if you don't think i'm good enough then try winning without me".

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
If i'm PK and he's not named on the Top 6, I say screw them as a reserve. He should say "if you don't think i'm good enough then try winning without me".

I can't see PK doing that and hopefully he doesn't. That would be a bs primadonna move and I'd lose respect for him or any other player who did that. It's about the crest on the jersey not ego. He should go and earn his time.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Is Luongo the front runner for the starting spot?

I never cheer for Canada but if Price is starting I have no choice. My hate for Crosby runs so deep it's not even healthy.

It's weird i like it when Canada wins in other events but i just can't do it for hockey. They're just so beyond stacked it's ridiculous.

How PK is a question mark is utter stupidity. He'd be ridiculous on the bigger ice.

I kind of hope he doesn't just so he can stew on it and have a ridiculous 2nd half for us. Dude just thrives on hate. Love it!

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Marleau isn't the kind of player that makes highlight reel plays. He quietly shuts down top lines, while providing great scoring himself. Then realize his experience, elite skating and versatility.

Some players' games are not well suited for the big ice (think Perry). Marleau's game, which is based on mobility, will thrive in that environment We should only have 5 of him

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
If pk doesnt make the team I'm burning my passport and revoking my citizenship.

I'm getting ready to cheer for USA...any team but Canada.

From day 1...I just didn't like the fact that PK Subban was not automatically on the team.

PK Subban has been amazing since day 1 (when he joined us in playoffs and was great...he dominated).

Imo, PK Subban could have started his career earlier than he did.
You're telling me he just came in like that (playoffs) and dominated like that all of a sudden? He had it in him way before they decided to call him up...what took so ****ing long.

Now...Team Canada is being a ***** by making PK Subban wait.

I hope PK Subban plays for USA if there's another Olympics that involve hockey. It's such a slap to his face that they're making him wait to know if he made it as #6 or #7 or #8.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Is Luongo the front runner for the starting spot?

I never cheer for Canada but if Price is starting I have no choice. My hate for Crosby runs so deep it's not even healthy.

It's weird i like it when Canada wins in other events but i just can't do it for hockey. They're just so beyond stacked it's ridiculous.

How PK is a question mark is utter stupidity. He'd be ridiculous on the bigger ice.

I kind of hope he doesn't just so he can stew on it and have a ridiculous 2nd half for us. Dude just thrives on hate. Love it!

As I pointed out earlier, I think a lot of Montreal fans will be disappointed by Subban's inability to dominate on the 'bigger ice'. His skating ability is much more suited to NHL sized arenas where he can use his great strength on his skates and his edge skating to maneuver in and out of trouble. I think Subban will be much less effective in open ice where speed is at a premium. His straight line and recovery speed is only mediocre and I fear that this limitation will be exploited by elite skaters who will have that extra 15 feet to use to their advantage. Subban, if used properly, can be a valuable player. But those who expect him to be Canada's shut down defenceman or Canada's main puck transporter are going to be disappointed.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
But those who expect him to be Canada's shut down defenceman or Canada's main puck transporter are going to be disappointed.
I don't think anyone is expecting him to be Canada's shut down defenceman. He probably won't play a lot of minutes.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland

If PK would have that attitude then the Team Canada deciders would probably be right about worrying about him in the locker room. But I sincerely doubt PK would ever think this way.

GSalty

Dec 30, 2013
This page 8 is making me feel pretty vindicated about what I was saying earlier in the thread. Won't cheer for Canada if Subban isn't on the roster? Is this Team Canada we're talking about, or Team Subban?

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
As I pointed out earlier, I think a lot of Montreal fans will be disappointed by Subban's inability to dominate on the 'bigger ice'. His skating ability is much more suited to NHL sized arenas where he can use his great strength on his skates and his edge skating to maneuver in and out of trouble. I think Subban will be much less effective in open ice where speed is at a premium. His straight line and recovery speed is only mediocre and I fear that this limitation will be exploited by elite skaters who will have that extra 15 feet to use to their advantage. Subban, if used properly, can be a valuable player. But those who expect him to be Canada's shut down defenceman or Canada's main puck transporter are going to be disappointed.

Yeah you're totally right. It's not as if Subban spent four years in juniors playing on an Olympic-sized rink. Nope.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

There's no chance PK would ever do that. For all the ******** the media makes up about Subban, he's always been a professional. He wouldn't do something like that. He'd probably see him being a 'reserve' as an opportunity to 'wow' people and prove doubters wrong rather than say 'screw this, I'm not coming.' That's not Subban's character.

Snipsnap12

Nov 16, 2010
I'm getting ready to cheer for USA...any team but Canada.

From day 1...I just didn't like the fact that PK Subban was not automatically on the team.

PK Subban has been amazing since day 1 (when he joined us in playoffs and was great...he dominated).

Imo, PK Subban could have started his career earlier than he did.
You're telling me he just came in like that (playoffs) and dominated like that all of a sudden? He had it in him way before they decided to call him up...what took so ****ing long.

Now...Team Canada is being a ***** by making PK Subban wait.

I hope PK Subban plays for USA if there's another Olympics that involve hockey. It's such a slap to his face that they're making him wait to know if he made it as #6 or #7 or #8.

PK is a huge talent and there is no denying that.nhowever, i don't think there is any denying that sometimes he takes risks, and will still occasionally turn the puck over in bad areas of the ice... I think he makes the team but these are the reasons why team Canada doesn't have him as a lock at this point in his career.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
There's no chance PK would ever do that. For all the ******** the media makes up about Subban, he's always been a professional. He wouldn't do something like that. He'd probably see him being a 'reserve' as an opportunity to 'wow' people and prove doubters wrong rather than say 'screw this, I'm not coming.' That's not Subban's character.

That's a good point. He's too much of a classy guy to go nuts.

Still, they don't deserve him.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

No acceleratio or agility, no urgency or jam. Thats how I see marleau. He has great top speed and can finish given time, but not in the playoffs.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
PK is a huge talent and there is no denying that.nhowever, i don't think there is any denying that sometimes he takes risks, and will still occasionally turn the puck over in bad areas of the ice... I think he makes the team but these are the reasons why team Canada doesn't have him as a lock at this point in his career.

hes every bit as good as any dman in tje league. As for the poster who said he has mediocre recovery speed...that is hilarious. Tjaks fr the laugh.

I would rather have pk than pietrangelo if ovie or parise or malkin is coming down the wing. And positionally hes every bit as sharp. and hes pp1 easy. The turnover tonight is a rarity in his game these days. Hopefully kevin lowe and stevie y will see tjat.

Pk is a puck possession master. He is a magician with the short pass. I mean, not even as a habs fan but as a team canada fan, im concerned. You can tell by his demeanor that they havent approached him. There should be nodiscussion about pk curtailing his game. Nibody is telling karlsson that. Ans yzerman did a very safe and mediocre job last olympics. Hes lucky to be here. Dont screw this up

Last edited:

Church

The last lion
Mar 26, 2010
Montreal, QC
No Subban in Top 6, I'm cheering for team USA

No Subban in team Canada for AMERICA! Go home and be a family man Subban.

poytri

Dec 24, 2013
Mtl
The argument about Subban not being in the starting roster because the RHD position is stacked is so ******* stupid. We're talking about elite defensemen here, Weber, Doughty, Subban and Pietreangelo. You're tellin me that none of these guys can play on the left side for 6 games?

Same thing for Seguin. Can't he play on the wing with Benn and whatever centerman? Benn and Seguin are the hottest duo in the league this year.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Team Canada needed the best player in the world to score a goal in overtime in order to win the Gold Medal last time around. Let's not pretend like we steamrolled through the competition. Yzerman can't afford not to take elite talent like Subban.

Whenever I hear the argument that a guy like Vlasic will be instrumental when you're up by a goal, I gotta remind them that it's guys like PK who give you those one goal leads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->