Draisaitl Vs Gaudreau

Who is the better player

• Gaudreau

• Draisaitl

Results are only viewable after voting.

Party Kane

Nov 7, 2013
Chicago
This is tough, I think it comes down to team needs. Dynamic high offense winger, or a big puck possession center (yes I know he plays wing but he's shown he's more than capable of playing center at a high level).

Personally I think more teams lean towards Draisaitl just because of his position but I think Gaudreau might be the better player.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
If Draisaitl is a second liner, I guess your boy Giroux is too

Well one of them has actually been a center and a first line one who produced in that role for most of their career... Obviously Drai is no second line player but the fact that you are dragging Giroux and Nylander(damn Leaf fans bringing their players up everywhere...oh wait) through the mud instead of focusing on the question makes it clear you don't have a solid argument.

The sky is the limit for Drai but the question asks who is better "right now" there is a right and a wrong answer.

As a side note I can't believe some Oiler fans are shameless enough to use "AINEC"'s here...I am only using "can't believe" to get a point accross I am actually not remotely surprised.

Reactions: Garthinater

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Disappointed to hear. I only followed the standards you set.

Lol your post was nothing like mine. I also produced the stats that show drai hasn't been very good away from mcdavid. You've been asked by at least 2 people to show your stats and yet refused to show anything. I think I'm just going to ignore you from now on as you don't seem to bring any value to the conversations. Have a good night

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Lol your post was nothing like mine. I also produced the stats that show drai hasn't been very good away from mcdavid. You've been asked by at least 2 people to show your stats and yet refused to show anything. I think I'm just going to ignore you from now on as you don't seem to bring any value to the conversations. Have a good night

You're a Flames fan do you need stats for Gaudreau's zone starts and usage being easier than the Tkachuk line?

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
I didn't say that at all, but find me another player in the league who is going to play on the 3rd line rather than the top 6 just so he can prove to HF boards that he can drive his own line. There's very few teams who have the wingers to support a 3 line offensive approach.

What Draisaitl has shown is he has put up 51 points in 72 games, 31 points in 37 games, and whatever he did in the playoffs away from McDavid 5v5. If thats not a big enough sample for you then so be it. Thats not mental gymnastics, those are the facts. The only mental gymnastics I'm seeing in here is you believe you know what goes through Todd McLellan's head.

What ever man. If you think 51 points in 72 games, 31 points in 37 games and the 13 game play off streak is better than gaudreau, you do you. I'm obviously not going to change your opinion so carry on

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
You're a Flames fan do you need stats for Gaudreau's zone starts and usage being easier than the Tkachuk line?

Rofl I'm not even remotely close to being a flames fan.
You have failed to produce any proof to your claims after numerous posts of you sidestepping. Gaudreau was 1 point shy of a ppg before tkachuk was even in the NHL. Also it's a pretty weak argument. Most teams try to get their good payers easier match ups lol

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
What ever man. If you think 51 points in 72 games, 31 points in 37 games and the 13 game play off streak is better than gaudreau, you do you. I'm obviously not going to change your opinion so carry on
When on earth did I claim those stretches made him better than Gaudreau? I disputed your claim that he can't play centre because he's incapable of driving his own line and that McLellan doesn't trust him to centre his own line.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Rofl I'm not even remotely close to being a flames fan.
You have failed to produce any proof to your claims after numerous posts of you sidestepping. Gaudreau was 1 point shy of a ppg before tkachuk was even in the NHL. Also it's a pretty weak argument. Most teams try to get their good payers easier match ups lol

You need proof for something that you just acknowledged twice, and that you can find with any fancy stats site? Don't follow this or the stats question

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
3M line can go and do a good job of shutting down the opposing top line on any given night, that does not mean gaudreau line is sheltered.... is getzlaf sheltered when kesler go and shut down the opposing best players? JG line will typically play against either the opposing best players or best checkers, thats not sheltered mins. No team is dumb enough to play their weak 3rd and 4th liners against the JG line everytime

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This one really depends on how you see Draisaitl.
I personally see Draisaitl an elite RW. I see Gaudreau as one of the best wings in the game right now.

I know it's a debate the C versus the Wing, but Leon isn't a centre today. The last time he was a centre was two years ago where he put up 2C numbers playing with one of the other best league-wide wings in Hall.

Right now it's hard to really bet against Johnny Hockey, the guy's playing on a whole different level.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
You need proof for something that you just acknowledged twice, and that you can find with any fancy stats site? Don't follow this or the stats question

I was just about to put in some effort but it isn't worth my time.

Last edited:

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
When on earth did I claim those stretches made him better than Gaudreau? I disputed your claim that he can't play centre because he's incapable of driving his own line and that McLellan doesn't trust him to centre his own line.

I assume you voted for drai, I either can't check on mobile or I don't know how. But gaudreau easily beats drai as wingers so I thought the reason you chose Leon was because of his ability to play centre. The numbers you showed aren't all that impressive as a centre. The article I got the graph from even says drai's offensive numbers will go down when/if he's centering house own line away from McD. It's a fact.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I assume you voted for drai, I either can't check on mobile or I don't know how. But gaudreau easily beats drai as wingers so I thought the reason you chose Leon was because of his ability to play centre. The numbers you showed aren't all that impressive as a centre. The article I got the graph from even says drai's offensive numbers will go down when/if he's centering house own line away from McD. It's a fact.
Yes, I voted for Drai when this thread was started almost 3 week ago, because it asked who I'd take now, and Draisaitl was coming off the better season, playoffs, and had comparable stats to start this season despite being 2 years younger. If I had to vote on this season alone I'd take Gaudreau obviously as he's had an incredible start to the year and Draisaitl's had some struggles to go along with a concussion.

As for the numbers i posted, they are pretty good for a guy playing centre at the age of 20 and 21, especially when the sample of 31 in 37 came playing with players like Slepyshev, Maroon, Caggiula, etc. Aka 3rd/4th liners in 3rd line minutes. Do I think Draisaitl would put up the numbers he puts up with McDavid by centring his own line? Obviously not there aren't any good wingers on this team, and pretty much every other good player in this league gets to play with at least one other top line quality forward when "driving their own line". Really doesn't matter what your article predicts will happen in the future, I'll stick what has actually happened which was a dominant playoff series at centre, and 82P in 109GP centring his own line before the age of 22.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Yes, I voted for Drai when this thread was started almost 3 week ago, because it asked who I'd take now, and Draisaitl was coming off the better season, playoffs, and had comparable stats to start this season despite being 2 years younger. If I had to vote on this season alone I'd take Gaudreau obviously as he's had an incredible start to the year and Draisaitl's had some struggles to go along with a concussion.

As for the numbers i posted, they are pretty good for a guy playing centre at the age of 20 and 21, especially when the sample of 31 in 37 came playing with players like Slepyshev, Maroon, Caggiula, etc. Aka 3rd/4th liners in 3rd line minutes. Do I think Draisaitl would put up the numbers he puts up with McDavid by centring his own line? Obviously not there aren't any good wingers on this team, and pretty much every other good player in this league gets to play with at least one other top line quality forward when "driving their own line". Really doesn't matter what your article predicts will happen in the future, I'll stick what has actually happened which was a dominant playoff series at centre, and 82P in 109GP centring his own line before the age of 22.

Maybe when JP and yamamoto make the NHL we'll see him excelling while centre his own line full time. I just don't trust the small samples sizes. Galchenyuk had a stretch of play at roughly a ppg, now he's got 8 points in 21 games. I just feel like gaudreau is tasked with a lot more (driving his team's offense) while playing with a lot less (monahan vs mcdavd) but still producing more. I do appreciate your reasonable post and your opinion.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Maybe when JP and yamamoto make the NHL we'll see him excelling while centre his own line full time. I just don't trust the small samples sizes. Galchenyuk had a stretch of play at roughly a ppg, now he's got 8 points in 21 games. I just feel like gaudreau is tasked with a lot more (driving his team's offense) while playing with a lot less (monahan vs mcdavd) but still producing more. I do appreciate your reasonable post and your opinion.
Yes I'd agree he will have to wait for Puljujarvi and Yamamoto if he's ever going to play centre as its pretty clear that McLellan doesn't want to move McDavid or RNH to wing, and the fact that Drai can play his offside on RW is why he's there because they team severely lacks quality RWers.

I think Draisaitl has proven it over a much larger sample than Galchenyuk who did that over like 25-30 games to end a season, while Drais done it over 110 games, but fair point he needs to put up a 70P+ season at centre away from McDavid if you want to call him an elite 1C. Gaudreau did out produce him 2 seasons ago and this season so far, but not last year. If we're projecting longterm then Drai should get some leeway given that last season was Drai's draft+3 season and Gaudreau hadn't even touched the NHL yet at that point aside from 1 game at the end of the year. The linemate argument is fair with regards to McDavid being much better than Monahan, but its far from that simple. Monahan is a good shooter while Gaudreau a great playmaker, thats a match made in heaven. On the other hand Drai and McDavid are both playmakers with no real shooter on that line. Gaudreau also has a ton more offensive talent on the blue line, and much better puck movers especially this season with Sekera injured. Its far too simplistic to only look at the C and W that Gaudreau plays with and not the D.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Drai had a good game tonight.
No comments from Flames fans tonight? Will be have to wait until he has a bad game?

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The fact that some leaf fans consider marner and nylander to be better/worth more is funnier and funnier every game.

What was and still is funny is in the Marner vs Gaudreau thread people would say, "Marner is still young, just wait until he gets older he'll be way better than Gaudreau". All I am watching is Marner having a sophomore slump while Gaudreau has turned it up another level to be one of the premier players in the league.

Was the same stupid nonsense in the Horvat vs Monahan thread where Horvat won (LOL), "Monahan has already peaked, his 3 consecutive 60+ point seasons aren't impressive, just wait until Horvat gets older his game will improve and he'll overtake Monahan". yeah, it's not like they are the same age or anything and Mony can't improve. This year Monahan is showing that he can improve and has been playing dynamite hockey with Johnny. Mony is 13th in league scoring whereas Horvat is 73rd. But just wait guys. Hi, I'm Bo Horvat, I've never broken 60 points, I have 13 more career points than Monahan has career goals, but I drive the play herp a derp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->