Draisaitl (8 years/$8.5 mil per) vs. Pastrnak (6 years/$6.667 mil per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
[/B]

Huh?

"Huh?"... :facepalm:

https://theathletic.com/102171/2017...-it-clear-the-oilers-overpaid-leon-draisaitl/

"Boston certainly would have had to pay more annually to get to an eight-year term, but the actual balance between RFA and UFA years is nearly identical on these two contracts. Pastrnak's new deal covers four RFA and two UFA years (a 67/33 percent split) while Draisaitl's covers five and three (a 63/37 percent split).

Given that Draisaitl also had the advantage of playing with the NHL's reigning Hart Trophy winner during his big year, why is there such a disparity in contracts?

The answer is that the Bruins stuck to established norms for second contracts. The Oilers did not."

That's your "Huh?" right there.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Assuming Drai puts up 80+ points next year, it's Drai.
Big frame.
Good skater. (lol we wouldn't have believed that a year ago today)
Wins face-offs.
Elite passer.
High end goal scorer.
Can make plays in all 3 zones.

After the cap jumps up to 80-83M after next season (Canadian dollar + Vegas revenue) that 8.5M will look great.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I read that Pastrnak's contract is 4 RFA years + 2 UFA years, while Draisaitl is 5 RFA years + 3 UFA years. If that's correct, it makes Pastrnak's contract even better, because Edmonton put up $28m more to buy only 1 more UFA year than Pastrnak's contract.

because it's only a 6-year deal...how is that good? both are UFA's after their respective deals...the difference being the Oilers have him for 8 while the Bruins have him for 6

the article you quoted specifically says the Bruins would have to pay more in order to buy more UFA years

so I guess only having him for 6 before UFA is better than having at 8 year before UFA?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's not so much. Assuming UFA years are worth 2mil more than RFA years, a 8 year deal would be 7mil/year for Pastrnak.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
because it's only a 6-year deal...how is that good? both are UFA's after their respective deals...the difference being the Oilers have him for 8 while the Bruins have him for 6

1. the article you quoted specifically says the Bruins would have to pay more in order to buy more UFA years

2. so I guess only having him for 6 before UFA is better than having at 8 year before UFA?

1. Is that supposed to be a new fact or a surprise of some kind?
2. Having a player for 6 years at 6.667m is way better than having a player for 8 years at 8.5m, yes. Pray tell, why would you think that a 8y/68m contract is better than a 6y/40m one?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
2. Having a player for 6 years at 6.667m is way better than having a player for 8 years at 8.5m, yes. Pray tell, why would you think that a 8y/68m contract is better than a 6y/40m one?

Not when the guy at 8 years is currently the better player and a center.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

because the Oilers have have him under control for 8 years without the risk of losing him for nothing during his prime years (21-29)..

the Oilers paid more money, bought more UFA years...in order max out his contract at 8 years

the Bruins saved money now sure....but could lose him at 27, or have to pay him even more down the road

of course its better (not even taking into account that he's a centre)

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
because the Oilers have have him under control for 8 years without the risk of losing him for nothing during his prime years (21-29)..

the Oilers paid more money, bought more UFA years...in order max out his contract at 8 years

the Bruins saved money now sure....but could lose him at 27, or have to pay him even more down the road

I'll take the 70 point winger making less over the 50 point center making ~2 mil more.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Because he didn't score 70 solely as a center. Until he proves otherwise, I can't take the center > winger argument without that added context seriously.

he scored 77 points as both center and winger (took more draws than McDavid) then proceeded to score 16 points in the playoff as mostly a center
his versatility is what makes him so valuable

but props on coming up with a made up 50 point number :laugh:

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Not when the guy at 8 years is currently the better player and a center.

If the two guys will keep producing at the same pace (0.933 ppg vs 0.939 ppg) like they did in 16-17, there will not be a "better player": they will be on the same level. And to me center instead of winger =/= instantaneous ~2m more.

Close...

The Oilers paid a lot more money (+21.5%, not peanuts), bought one lone, measly more UFA year with said 21.5%.

The Bruins saved money now sure...
And will more likely still save money on those two extra years they didn't buy. To break even in regards to what the Oilers gave Draisaitl, they would have to pay Pastrnak $14m per season (!!!), for those two years. Overwhelming chances are it won't happen, but if it does, that means that we would have on our hands the best winger, if not the best overall player, in the league, if he is able to command a $14m paycheck and if that's the case we would have just had the bargain of the century having had him at $6.667 till then. Win-win for the Bruins.
About the risk of losing a player at contract end, the Oilers and the Bruins at worst - for us - are the same.

Of course it's not better: 1) 6.667 >>>>>>>>> 8.5... 2) if there's not a clear separation in production like it's as of now, that $1.83m won't look good, center or no center.
At the end of the day, it's normal to be happy having locked a top player for long term, but please... Pastrnak's contract is a bargain compared to Draisaitl's. Look at the poll up here, look at articles in the press by professionals. Dude.

EDIT: I also looked up the protection of both contracts via signing bonuses. It's not that flattering for the Oilers: they gave Draisaitl $7m in signing bonuses for each of the two seasons where a lockout could happen. Pastrnak? $1m and $2m. So, if a lockout happens, Draisaitl will still get paid almost in full (and still more than Pastrnak)...Lolllll, now there's really nothing whatsoever that says that Draisaitl's contract is better than Pastrnak's. Chiarelli is not a good negotiator: we saw that here and it's still the same old with you guys.

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Close...

The Oilers paid a lot more money (+21.5%, not peanuts), bought one lone, measly more UFA year with said 21.5%.
because they went the full max contract of 8 years
had the Bruins went the full 8 years with Pastarnak...even buying 1 less UFA year...we are looking at Tarasenko money

Of course it's not better: 1) 6.667 >>>>>>>>> 8.5...
8 years >>>>> 6years

2) if there's not a clear separation in production like it's as of now, that $1.83m won't look good, center or no center.
At the end of the day, it's normal to be happy having locked a top player for long term, but please... Pastrnak's contract is a bargain compared to Draisaitl's. Look at the poll up here, look at articles in the press by professionals. Dude.

I've said all along Drai is overpaid 500k but I'm willing to swallow it because he's taking the max term and because of his versatility

EDIT: I also looked up the protection of both contracts via signing bonuses. It's not that flattering for the Oilers: they gave Draisaitl $7m in signing bonuses for each of the two seasons where a lockout could happen. Pastrnak? $1m and $2m. So, if a lockout happens, Draisaitl will still get paid almost in full... Lolllll, now there's really nothing whatsoever that says that Draisaitl's contract is better than Pastrnak's.

and this affects the cap how?

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
because they went the full max contract of 8 years
had the Bruins went the full 8 years with Pastarnak...even buying 1 less UFA year...we are looking at Tarasenko money

8 years >>>>> 6years

I've said all along Drai is overpaid 500k but I'm willing to swallow it because he's taking the max term and because of his versatility

and this affects the cap how?

Yeah, they sure went to the max 8 years. It couldn't have been any different with the money & salary protection they threw at Draisaitl...

This is one of the rare cases when throwing so much more money and salary protection neutralizes that "8 years >>>>> 6 years". Chiarelli just made the Oilers pay out of their nose for Draisaitl.

OK so you say Draisaitl is overpaid, yet you are arguing that his contract is better than Pastrnak's. So, by this logic are you saying that Pastrnak is overpaid worse than Draisaitl???

This poll is about what of the following is better: Pastrnak with his new contract and Draisaitl with his new contract. Salary protection via signing bonuses IS part of the contract and having $7m protection is a worse contract for a team than having $1-$2m, is it not???

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah, they sure went to the max 8 years. It couldn't have been any different with the money & salary protection they threw at Draisaitl...

This is one of the rare cases when throwing so much more money and salary protection neutralizes that "8 years >>>>> 6 years". Chiarelli just made the Oilers pay out of their nose for Draisaitl.

OK so you say Draisaitl is over paid, yet you are arguing that his contract is better than Pastrnak's. So, by this logic are you saying that Pastrnak is overpaid worse than Draisaitl???

This poll is about what of the following is better: Pastrnak with his new contract and Draisaitl with his new contract. Salary protection via signing bonuses IS part of the contract and having $7m protection is a worse contract for a team than having $1-$2m, is it not???

The poll is about who would you rather have at their new contract not which contract is better. Lockout protection is a ridiculous thing to be concerned with. It only potentially affects the owners pockets

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah Pasta contract is better. But I think drai is the better player by a small margin. That + the fact Drai can play center/winger + size helps me overlook the 2 mil overpay. Give me Drai.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad