Draisaitl (8 years/$8.5 mil per) vs. Pastrnak (6 years/$6.667 mil per)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Why would you settle for the lesser player though?

Would you trade Hedman for OEL longterm if you could save 1-2M$ capspace?

What about Kucherov for Tarasenko? Or Stamkos vs Tavares (esp 5 years ago as Tavares is probably better now).

how about Malkin Crosby. Would you have taken Malkin on your team instead of Crosby to save 1-2M$ per year?

This doesn't make sense. It's ok to try and save money when you're filing out the rest of your roster, and to make decisions based on cap value. But when you're picking your very core/franchise players to build around, you build around the best player possible for your team.

I'm really uncomfortable with such black and white stances. It stands up terribly to further scrutiny, especially when you see that Kucherov outscored Tarasenko last year.

It seems pretty obvious to say, but since it needs saying, you can use that extra $2 Million or so to sign other core players. You don't "just take the better player" regardless of how much better and how much more he gets paid. That's ridiculous.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Bruins got a great deal for Pastrnak, but he was never going to be worth the same money. Everyone knows #1 centers are harder to acquire, therefore you pay up to sign them. The only comparison is their draft year and point totals. Draisaitl is the more valuable player.

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015
Pasta deal is better by about 10%

Draisaitl is a better player but not by the difference in contracts

That is literally the perfect answer. As Drai to me is better right now but i have no clue how they will continue to develop as i think both have an extra step, But I'm also very high on Drai. I'm higher on Drai then the avg fan, i fully admit my opinion is not shared by others but i really do see him challenging Eichel for the 3rd best young centre. And i consider Eichel an 80 to 90 point centre.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bruins got a great deal for Pastrnak, but he was never going to be worth the same money. Everyone knows #1 centers are harder to acquire, therefore you pay up to sign them. The only comparison is their draft year and point totals. Draisaitl is the more valuable player.

Absolutely correct. Draisaitl and Pastrnak are not good comparables. Draisaitl is closer to Eichel and Matthews as he will be a #1B Center for the duration of his 8 year contract.

Pastrnak will be a good comparable for Nylander when he signs. Center > Winger the majority of time when contracts are handed out.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
How is a small winger leading this poll? I'll take the huge legit #1 center no matter the contract.

Huge legit #1 center is 6'2 and small winger is 6'0? They weren't lying when they said that hockey is a game of inches.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
yes, considering how Kucherov's has 2 years left on his deal and he's due for a MASSIVE pay raise

one of the problems of bridge contracts (see: PK Subban)

Never was a big fan of bridge contracts. It likely shots the organization in the foot long term and they could be a problem for injured players. It seems an unnecessary risk from both sides. And, of course, it shows that either the organisation has no trust in the player or is stingy. Granted, in difficult cap situations that will be improve in the following two years they could be useful. If a player has personality issues, it's a different matter. I think clubs realize this.

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
underrated? he's leading the poll :laugh:

The poll is both player and contract dependent. Many (mostly Oilers fans) are stating that Draisaitl is better but the contract is leveling the field. I love both players, and I think the jury is out on who is better.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Huge legit #1 center is 6'2 and small winger is 6'0? They weren't lying when they said that hockey is a game of inches.

It goes like this: 6'0 = small, 6'1 = average, 6'2 = "huge", any other height is outside the range and therefore a glitch & doesn't count. /sarcasm

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I read that Pastrnak's contract is 4 RFA years + 2 UFA years, while Draisaitl is 5 RFA years + 3 UFA years. If that's correct, it makes Pastrnak's contract even better, because Edmonton put up $28m more to buy only 1 more UFA year than Pastrnak's contract.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

181 lbs vs. 216 lbs.
I'd say a 35 lbs difference is pretty significant.

74 pts in 81 games vs. 93 pts in 95 games last year.

I'm surprised people think saving 1.84M in cap space is so important when you could have a bigger, better player who is also a centerman.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I read that Pastrnak's contract is 4 RFA years + 2 UFA years, while Draisaitl is 5 RFA years + 3 UFA years. If that's correct, it makes Pastrnak's contract even better, because Edmonton put up $28m more to buy only 1 more UFA year than Pastrnak's contract.

Huh?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
181 lbs vs. 216 lbs.

I'm surprised people think saving 1.84M in cap space is so important when you could have a bigger, better player who is also a centerman.

But with that almost 2m in savings they could of picked up a solid 4th line grinder!!!! Lol.

Butanic

May 29, 2017
Calgary
Pasta. Drai is good but not as good as some were lead to believe last year, his playoff numbers were inflated by insane shooting percentage and his underlyings were not great away from McDavid. I believe Drai will do well but his contract will always remain a bit of a pain. From what I saw of Pasta last year the dude is legit, his numbers would probably be even better on McDavid's wing.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
181 lbs vs. 216 lbs.

Better is debatable since Draisaitl played almost the whole season with the best player in the league as a winger. When he shows he can be a 70pt C supporting his own line, then you can call him better.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Better is debatable since Draisaitl played almost the whole season with the best player in the league as a winger. When he shows he can be a 70pt C supporting his own line, then you can call him better.

He played the first half without McDavid and the other half with McDavid. He had very good numbers before pairing with Connor. In the playoffs, he was taken off McDavid's line and thrived lining up against Getzlaf.

It's also funny how people don't bother mentioning Pastrnak's linemates. I'm sure playing with one of the best 2-way centers in the game (Bergeron) and goal scorers (Marchand) didn't help? :laugh:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Pasta is a little better value for dollars, but it depends on the rest of the team. In general I value center depth and a big, two-way playmaking center is highly valuable, so I'd take LD if I'm starting a team from scratch. For the Canucks, he'd be a great #1 in front of Horvat long term, and I think paying a little more is worth it.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'm really uncomfortable with such black and white stances. It stands up terribly to further scrutiny, especially when you see that Kucherov outscored Tarasenko last year.

It seems pretty obvious to say, but since it needs saying, you can use that extra $2 Million or so to sign other core players. You don't "just take the better player" regardless of how much better and how much more he gets paid. That's ridiculous.

I don't think it's black and white either, but I do think more often than not it's the best choice unless the cap disparity is substantial. Theoretically you can use the money on another core player but it's not as if you can choose from anyone in the league. It only really matters if there's players worthy to spend it on and I'd say more often than not you end up spending it on slightly better complementary players who dont make as great an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad