Speculation: Drafted then traded?

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
Can’t remember for NHL but didn’t this happen in the NBA with Vince Carter and Toronto Raptors, so I can’t see why it couldn’t happen for nhl. Draft someone’s guy purposely for leverage

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Maybe for O’Reilly? His bonus is on January 1st. Maybe Buffalo makes an arrangement, where a team drafts a player Buffalo wants, the Sabres wait to pay O’Reilly’s bonus and then make the trade after his bonus is paid.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Kennedy and Ferguson are the only two that come to mind. Incredibly rare, which isn’t surprising.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Didn't it happen with the Leafs and Habs? I know Greg Pateryn was drafted by the Leafs I'm almost certain he was almost immediately traded for Grabovski

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Didn't this happen to Eric Lindros? I mean I know he requested it but still.

A year after he was drafted.

Players getting drafted and then traded less than a year later isn’t that uncommon. Berard and Redden were drafted in 95 and then traded in early 96.

The nba is more common for guys getting drafted and then traded pretty much right away.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Can’t remember for NHL but didn’t this happen in the NBA with Vince Carter and Toronto Raptors, so I can’t see why it couldn’t happen for nhl. Draft someone’s guy purposely for leverage
It happens in the NBA draft because of the Stepien Rule that states you cannot trade 1st round picks in consecutive years. Team will in effect make a pick trade so it doesn't effect the next year's pick under the rule.

The Denver Nuggets had a great draft in 2014 getting Jusuf Nurkic, Gary Harris and Nikola Jokic, but the Bulls drafted the Nurkic and Harris who were immediately traded for Doug McDermmot.

I was the NBA would amend that rule.

It happened in the NFL when The Raiders were trading up for Steve "****ing PUNK" Wisinewski but Al Davis was yammering on the phone too long and there wasn't enough time to get the trade in so the Cowboys selected him and the the Raiders took Daryl "Moose" Johnson who they traded them.

Reactions: Halla

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016

Yeah it happens all the time in the NBA

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Ken Dryden I believe was drafted by the Bruins in 1964 then traded a few weeks later to Montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad