Draft vs POs

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
If I got it right, every team that misses the POs has a chance to get the #1 pick.

Now my question, should we miss the POs knowing our Coach is Q with Kitchen and Craw/Emery in net or should we try to make the POs and end - most likely - in Round 1/2 of the POs

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I just worry about the start of the season.... Q as Coach, a big road trip to start the season and a lot question marks. Getting the chance to draft Jones or MacKinnon would be great tbh. Sure, I want the POs and think we still have the chance to win the Cup this year.

I would want the POs ;)
Just wanted some more talk about hockey, not owners or PA

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Much as I would love to have Seth Jones here in Chicago

You play the season to win, not to acquire the best draft picks.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Sillly question. You do what you should always do as a sports team and you root what you should always root for as a fan of that team, the most competitive and highest result possible. Go for it all.

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
This isn't football or basketball where 1 player or a top QB can turn your team around. Seth Jones doesn't suddenly make this team a Cup winning team, still no #2 C, still huge ? in net, still lack of physicality. Play your best and sort it out next year.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
If I got it right, every team that misses the POs has a chance to get the #1 pick.

Now my question, should we miss the POs knowing our Coach is Q with Kitchen and Craw/Emery in net or should we try to make the POs and end - most likely - in Round 1/2 of the POs

Wow dude...even with Q this team can win the cup. It's nothing like the Bears who were stuck in that state of mediocrity where they weren't good enough or bad enough.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
It never ceases to amaze me how fans in all sports would rather half ass their way into the playoffs and get smoked in one round as opposed to sacrificing one season and getting a shot at a top level talent in the draft.

i still remember arguing with Bulls fans who were more intent on seeing the team get into the playoffs with the #8 seed as opposed to getting in the lottery and having a shot at Rose. I wonder if any of those fans are still upset the Bulls didn't get the chance to get beat by the #1 seed that year and instead got stuck wth Rose?

This season was almost cancelled as it is, I really don't see how having 3 bad months of hockey in exchange for a shot at the #1 pick is a bad choice vs watching a mediocre team try and scrape their way into the playoffs where once again the terrible goaltending and bottom 4 defensive pairings will get exposed and embarrassed.

Even if it was just a 10% chance at Seth Jones, to me that is more than worth tanking 3 months of a strike shortened season.

I like to look at the big picture and think about championships, not halfass one round playoff runs.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
It never ceases to amaze me how fans in all sports would rather half ass their way into the playoffs and get smoked in one round as opposed to sacrificing one season and getting a shot at a top level talent in the draft.

i still remember arguing with Bulls fans who were more intent on seeing the team get into the playoffs with the #8 seed as opposed to getting in the lottery and having a shot at Rose. I wonder if any of those fans are still upset the Bulls didn't get the chance to get beat by the #1 seed that year and instead got stuck wth Rose?

This season was almost cancelled as it is, I really don't see how having 3 bad months of hockey in exchange for a shot at the #1 pick is a bad choice vs watching a mediocre team try and scrape their way into the playoffs where once again the terrible goaltending and bottom 4 defensive pairings will get exposed and embarrassed.

Even if it was just a 10% chance at Seth Jones, to me that is more than worth tanking 3 months of a strike shortened season.

I like to look at the big picture and think about championships, not halfass one round playoff runs.

Your argument ignores the fact that this team has a legit chance (like 10-15 other teams) of winning the cup this year.

You want to give that up to tank for a pick. When our GM keeps blowing the first rounders anyway (other than the gimme TT pick).

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

And that's where we disagree. I don't look at the last 2 years and think "well, another 1st round exit this year". I think the Hawks are good and could damage in the POs if things go their way.

Let's not compare hockey to the NBA. In that league, everyone knows what 5 teams are going to contend for the title from day 1. We don't have that in this league.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Your argument ignores the fact that this team has a legit chance (like 10-15 other teams) of winning the cup this year.

You want to give that up to tank for a pick. When our GM keeps blowing the first rounders anyway (other than the gimme TT pick).

I'm saying if we start out like crap and it looks like the team isn't a contender. You can tell when the team is a contender and when its just a pretender. I don't think any realistic fan really thought the team last year had a real chance of doing any real damage in the playoffs.

I'm not saying to go into the season and try and tank it, but if we look like crap after the first month or so then I would be all in favor of losing as many games as possible and getting a higher pick.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC

First time I've ever seen you classify Danault as a blown first rounder.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
I'm saying if we start out like crap and it looks like the team isn't a contender. You can tell when the team is a contender and when its just a pretender. I don't think any realistic fan really thought the team last year had a real chance of doing any real damage in the playoffs.

I'm not saying to go into the season and try and tank it, but if we look like crap after the first month or so then I would be all in favor of losing as many games as possible and getting a higher pick.

Giving up after the first month of this season would be about the same as giving up in early December of a regular season.

Pointless.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria

Kane was a gimme pick, even Toews can be seen as gimme.

When 17 others don't take you, you aren't a gimme anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad