Speculation: Draft Talk, 2018: Picks 1, 32, 94, 117, 125, 156, 187

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Kotkaniemi is the most underrated player in the draft this year. If I were Carolina/Montreal... I’d have a tough time passing...

Underrated by the mainstream but I doubt he’s underrated by teams in the top 10.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I’m having a hell of a time figuring out who I’d be taking between Bouchard, Dobson and Hughes if we were picking forth overall.

Hughes is an unbelievable skater and a new age type of defender, but I don’t see him ever being able to dominate a game like Erik Karlsson does, I think he’s a Brian Campbell/Jake Gardner number 2/3 guy.

Dobson is the guy of the three who could end up being a horse on the backend who plays big minutes against the best players who putting up 40 points a year.

That’s a tight group for me.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I’m having a hell of a time figuring out who I’d be taking between Bouchard, Dobson and Hughes if we were picking forth overall.

Hughes is an unbelievable skater and a new age type of defender, but I don’t see him ever being able to dominate a game like Erik Karlsson does, I think he’s a Brian Campbell/Jake Gardner number 2/3 guy.

Dobson is the guy of the three who could end up being a horse on the backend who plays big minutes against the best players who putting up 40 points a year.

That’s a tight group for me.

Dobson

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

Gun to my head it’s probably Dobson for me too. I see him thriving in big boy playoff hockey.

Hughes is going to put up there points, but I have my doubts he could be a number 1 guy on a good team. His defending is going to be a major issue in the nhl.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
My son is marvelling at Dobson's game tonight against Regina. He's fully involved in the Bouchard-v-Dobson and Tkachuk-v-Wahlstrom debates. I'm sure more video will be observed in the next month.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Seems like it is a pretty solid top 10 this year. If we hadn't won the lottery, there would be a lot of debate at pick 3 and 4 right now if that's where we were slotted.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I am actually looking forward to the end of round 1 to see who is left over....then we have about 12 hrs to debate over a few players that slid out of the 1st round and some other 2nd rounders whose draft stock is rising. This is unless Botterill trades back into the 1st.

Or if he uses 32 OA for roster shaping, it could be a bit until they get back up to the podium.

I miss the days of Toni Lydman for a third.

That said, there are a lot of kids I really like in this draft. There are very few who scare the hell out of me. Okay -- only one really and hopefully someone takes him before 32 OA and that's that.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Or if he uses 32 OA for roster shaping, it could be a bit until they get back up to the podium.

That said, there are a lot of kids I really like in this draft. There are very few who scare the hell out of me. Okay -- only one really and hopefully someone takes him before 32 OA and that's that.
I hope not..at least for the excitement of the draft and fun debate..I was really looking forward to the 2015 draft and when we traded the picks on draft day....it was sort of a bummer.

I seem to change weekly on who I want to fall....I will read your guys post and then do some googling on the players. Then I will check out the mock drafts and see where they tend to be falling or how they are ranked by the experts (well some are). My old list was Bokk. McIsaac and McLeod....still like them....New list Kotkaniemi (not happening lol)( top 10 maybe top 5) Kaut (seems to rising rather than falling probably top 15ish) and Thomas (maybe but probably lands in the early 2os) Berggren (maybe again but probably 25ish to 30) and McLaughlin (might be too early at 32).

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

...transform him into a winger

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
As per Ray Ferraro on the Dreger Cafe (which i kind of agree with) how many players in todays game are actually deemed by head coaches as "uncoachable"? hmm

I wouldn't mind Merkley here. But i'd prefer Bokk, Kaut or Thomas.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
And that will make him coachable? No… That will just keep getting farther away from doing stupid things with the puck. Or without the puck. Do. Not. Want.
I wouldn’t be upset if they pick merkley. If after interviews they believe they can make it work, it’s hard to pas on that talent. I’ll trust the team on that

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wouldn’t be upset if they pick merkley. If after interviews they believe they can make it work, it’s hard to pas on that talent. I’ll trust the team on that

I don’t trust them to turn motivated, coachable players into anything yet. If they are doing their due diligence, I would be surprised he gets selected by Buffalo. High character my ass.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I am actually looking forward to the end of round 1 to see who is left over....then we have about 12 hrs to debate over a few players that slid out of the 1st round and some other 2nd rounders whose draft stock is rising. This is unless Botterill trades back into the 1st.

The Sabres are in such a fantastic spot on Day 2. Having it split up is a Godsend. Gives the Sabres time to look at who's left, where they still may fall, and it's an opportunity to even trade down a few spots and pick up another asset because it's 100% that teams will be calling Botts about that 32OA. If they have a guy who they love and think they can still get a few spots lower it makes a lot of sense. Someone definitely falls in love with someone falling out of the first.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Jeez, I know it's still a couple years away, but have you heard of this Quinton Byfield kid? Not even 16 yet, he's 6'4", 203# playing center. Sounds like a Chara playing down the middle. 90-something pts in 34 games. :help:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Jeez, I know it's still a couple years away, but have you heard of this Quinton Byfield kid? Not even 16 yet, he's 6'4", 203# playing center. Sounds like a Chara playing down the middle. 90-something pts in 34 games. :help:

Sudbury's got an interesting one on their hands - third best points per game in that AAA league behind only Stamkos and Hall. I'm curious how much bigger he gets since men usually don't stop growing at 16.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

Yep. It’ll be interesting to see where his development goes the next few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->