Speculation: Draft Talk, 2018: Picks 1, 32, 94, 117, 125, 156, 187

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
SWE-2 IKO #6 M.Fehervary, LHD -- Last viewing: 2017-11-25 VAS@IKO

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Woo for Pu? Is that really too early. Rasmus Dahlin looks like a beast, even more so than Makar. His skating and hockey sense are off the charts.
I can hear RJ now:

"Now here's Eichel, over to Woo, back to Pu! How do you do! He scorrrrrrrrrrres! Cliff Pu on the power play!"

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
How good is this draft? Haven't paid any attention, I am just wondering if this draft is deep enough at the top of the draft to get a high end prospect with the #4 overall pick after we finish 31st this year. Obviously we won't win a lotto so hopefully we can get a franchise dman at #4. I know Dahlin is supposed to be the real deal, wonder if we can package #4+Reinhart++ for the top pick.

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
How good is this draft? Haven't paid any attention, I am just wondering if this draft is deep enough at the top of the draft to get a high end prospect with the #4 overall pick after we finish 31st this year. Obviously we won't win a lotto so hopefully we can get a franchise dman at #4. I know Dahlin is supposed to be the real deal, wonder if we can package #4+Reinhart++ for the top pick.
It's probably going to take Eichel to get that pick. That's how highly scouts think of Dahlin.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Buffalo: The Sabres could use Dahlin more than any team, in my opinion. The franchise already has a game-changing center in Jack Eichel, plus a great No. 2 in Ryan O’Reilly. Otherwise, the forward corps is decent and if Casey Mittelstadt and/or Alex Nylander can make the jump next year, it gets better. The back end is messy and a big reason is an overreliance on Rasmus Ristolainen, who is playing more than 27 minutes a night. Toss Dahlin onto that depth chart and things get so much smoother. Heck, maybe you even put the two Rasmuses (Rasmi?) together, with Ristolainen playing more of a defensive role and ceding power play time to Dahlin, getting his own minutes down in the process. Much like Edmonton, Buffalo has one centerpiece already (in Eichel), but Dahlin would definitely put them back in the playoffs.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Don't be surprised if Dahlin goes #2. Svechnikov is a beast with size, elite skating, powerful accurate shot with a sniper's touch. Need will play into who goes first.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Don't be surprised if Dahlin goes #2. Svechnikov is a beast with size, elite skating, powerful accurate shot with a sniper's touch. Need will play into who goes first.

The tantalizing amount of creativity, speed and ability to see the ice, join the rush and score makes Dahlin an easy undeniable #1 talent in this class. Svechnikov very well could be another Kucherov / Tarasenko type of talent and I still would take Dahlin. Not only does he fit a "NEED", but he's also exactly how the NHL works in the modern game. Puck moving, flow and pace, joining the rush with what Housley, "wants to do". It may be a team by team decision depending on who's there. However, Arizona, Buffalo and Edmonton the three bottom feeders "at the moment" are all in need of the infusion of speed, puck possession and skill on the back end that Dahlin is showing.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I would be thrilled with either one although I agree A true puck moving D who can actually play defence also is badly needed in Buffalo.

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
Honestly, Dahlin might be the most talented defenseman that I've ever seen at his age. I haven't seen much of Svechnikov this year, but I have a hard time imagining any team taking him over this kid. IMO, Dahlin is a McDavid level prospect on defense.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Svechnikov to me looks like one of those guys who has a Matthews/Laine type immediate impact. He just looks like a plug and play first line winger from day 1. He plays wing, but that doesn’t matter because he drives the bus offensively much like a Tarasenko or Kucherov. I wouldn’t pass on him if Dahlin is off the board, but then I would be moving ROR/Reinhart/Nylander immediately for D and making sure we load up on D the rest of the draft and get a good piece in return for Kane. I think he’s a franchise forward, unlike Eichel he’s low maintenance and plays a 200ft game.

Last edited:
Reactions: SabresFan26

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Svechnikov to me looks like one of those guys who has a Matthews/Laine type immediate impact. He just looks like a plug and play first line winger from day 1. He plays wing, but that doesn’t matter because he drives the bus offensively much like a Tarasenko or Kucherov. I wouldn’t pass on him if Dahlin is off the board, but then I would be moving ROR/Reinhart/Nylander immediately for D and making sure we load up on D the rest of the draft and get a good piece in return for Kane. I think he’s a franchise forward, unlike Eichel he’s low maintenance and plays a 200ft game.

No prospect is a sure thing, including Svechnikov. If we can trade someone for D before the draft it might make sense, but there are too many promising dmen in the top 10 to pass up one one of them yet again. We need defense first and foremost.

There's always going to be a tempting forward available. Sometimes you need to actually address team needs if you want to get out of the basement.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Actually I feel like Buffalo has a big chance to land Dahlin even if they don't get 1st overall pick. Depends on which team will get 1st, I don't think Dahlin will be consensus number 1 pick for all teams. I bet if Arizona lands 1st overall, they'd pick Svechnikov over Dahlin as they need franchise forward much more than a defenseman. But let's say if Dahlin is picked already and Buffalo has 2nd pick, it will be too stupid too pass on Svechnikov even though there are pretty good defensemen in this draft.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Actually I feel like Buffalo has a big chance to land Dahlin even if they don't get 1st overall pick. Depends on which team will get 1st, I don't think Dahlin will be consensus number 1 pick for all teams. I bet if Arizona lands 1st overall, they'd pick Svechnikov over Dahlin as they need franchise forward much more than a defenseman. But let's say if Dahlin is picked already and Buffalo has 2nd pick, it will be too stupid too pass on Svechnikov even though there are pretty good defensemen in this draft.

Teams don’t draft for need with the number 1 pick. If Arizona isn’t taking Dahlin they are moving that pick (assuming he continues to be the concencus Number 1)

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Never really watched Dahlin play outside of world juniors...Kind of wish I didn't look up some of his highlights because damn he looks like the defensive version of McDavid. It's gonna suck losing the lottery again.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Never really watched Dahlin play outside of world juniors...Kind of wish I didn't look up some of his highlights because damn he looks like the defensive version of McDavid. It's gonna suck losing the lottery again.

If you get the chance to watch Olafsson some time, it's well worth it because Dahlin is on the same team. He's a gem offensively, and there is certainly work to be done in his own zone. Whispy, offensive wizard who needs to work on the game in his own zone but the skills are amazing.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnets-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-december/

Sportsnet’s 2018 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings: December

1. Rasmus Dahlin, D, 6-foot-2, 183 pounds (Frolunda, SHL): Nothing has changed in the eyes of scouts and the Olympics will likely prove that he’ll be ready to play in the NHL as early as next season.

2. Andrei Svechnikov, RW, 6-foot-2, 186 pounds (Barrie Colts, OHL): Despite missing more than 15 games, his stock hasn’t fallen. Early-season viewings have everyone on board. He approaches the game like a pro both on and off the ice.

3. Adam Boqvist, D, 5-foot-11, 170 pounds (Brynas Jr.): Not as well-rounded as Dahlin in terms of his two-way game, but the offensive side is right in the neighbourhood. Has a knack for gauging the urgency of a play and adapting his puck skills to execute that play.

4. Filip Zadina, RW, 6-foot, 196 pounds (Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL): Has transitioned well to the North American game with an intense will to get into the home-plate area. There are no deficiencies in his game and he’s loaded with character. Zadina may not exactly be Nico Hischier, but he’s not too far behind.

5. Brady Tkachuk, LW, 6-foot-3, 196 pounds (Boston University, NCAA): It took the underage freshman 14 games to score his first collegiate goal. Having said that, look for him to trend upward in the points department. Regardless of offensive production however, he’s got size, grit and thoroughly enjoys being a net-front nuisance.

6. Noah Dobson, D, 6-foot-2, 180 pounds (Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL): No one player has opened more eyes since the start of the season. He’s experienced a meteoric rise up everyone’s list. Offensively, there is no limit to what he can do. The package includes size, skating and the ability to pace the game from the right side.

7. Oliver Wahlstrom, RW, 6-foot-1, 205 pounds (USNDTP): As a go-to for the US under-18 program, Wahlstrom has positioned himself as a shoot-first option. He has size and strength and when he’s on, his game has a pro-feel to it.

8. Quinn Hughes, D, 5-foot-9, 170 pounds (U of Michigan, NCAA): Hasn’t scored since Michigan’s season opener, but that hasn’t stopped him from shooting. Dishing hasn’t been an issue as he leads all Wolverines defencemen in assists. His greatest asset is his poise with the puck and world-class vision.

9. Rasmus Kupari, C, 6-foot-1, 183 pounds (Karpat, Finnish Liiga): Possesses a dynamic skill set. He gets around the ice well and can handle the puck at high speeds and while changing pace. Has shown strength and that is clearly evident in his shot. Making Finland’s world junior team would go a long way in determining his final draft ranking.

10. Jared McIsaac, D, 6-foot-1, 195 pounds (Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL): Hard-nosed kid who has settled in after a slow start to the season. Has an acute ability to raise his level of play when the competition calls for it. He has a solid defensive foundation that puts him near the head of this D class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->