Speculation: Draft Talk, 2018: Picks 1, 32, 94, 117, 125, 156, 187

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I like Jared McIsaac. Big, skates well, very smart, makes good plays under pressure, poised. I expect him to get torn down a bit this year in a similar way which Chychrun and Liljegren got over-scrutinized.

But he's my way-too-early first round like.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
https://sports.yahoo.com/answering-early-questions-2018-nhl-draft-class-145845969.html

Answering early questions about the 2018 NHL draft class

Is this a “good draft?â€

You hear it ever year. It’s a weak draft. It’s a strong draft. It’s a deep draft. The draft is top-heavy. How is this year’s draft shaping up?

Central Scouting: “There’s a lot more depth to the draft. Right now there’s not a lot of front-line, top-end guys. There’s a lot more B players to go through than there has been in the past years.â€

There is a lot of other good stuff in this article.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnets-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/

Over the course of this season, Jeff Marek and I will collaborate to bring you Sportsnet’s Top-31 ranked players for the 2018 NHL Draft. The start of the NHL season brings us the start of our journey to Dallas, hosts of this year’s process.

1.) Rasmus Dahlin, D, 6-foot-2, 183 pounds (Frolunda, SHL): Possesses every element necessary to become a top-pairing NHL defenceman. Don’t be surprised if he goes wire-to-wire in this spot.

2.) Andrei Svechnikov, RW, 6-foot-2, 187 pounds (Barrie Colts, OHL): Barrie head coach Dale Hawerchuk should augment an already solid offensive game. Svechnikov has the ability to impact each shift in a variety of ways.

3.) Adam Boqvist, D, 5-foot-11, 170 pounds (Brynas, SHL): Think new-age defenceman with solid ability to defend. Was consistently up in the rush at the Ivan Hlinka. Possesses the rare wicked wrist shot from the point.

4.) Brady Tkachuk, C, 6-foot-3, 194 pounds (Boston University, NCAA): The pain-in-the-butt comparisons to brother Matthew are legit, and so is the assertion he’ll end up going higher than his brother.

5.) Quinn Hughes, D, 5-foot-9, 168 pounds (U. of Michigan, NCAA): Was a top player with the USNTDP as an underage last season. Early indications are he’s taken another step forward as he moves to play for the maize and blue.

6.) Filip Zadina, RW, 6-foot-1, 192 pounds (Halifax Mooseheads): A late birthday, Zadina hopes to follow the success of Timo Meier, Nik Ehlers, Nico Hischier and Jakub Voracek: all successful, top-10 NHL first round picks as imports playing in Halifax. He’s a shooter with a complete game suited to playing the off-wing.

7.) Jack McBain, C, 6-foot-3, 196 pounds (Toronto Junior Canadiens, OJHL): Another in the recent run of sons of former NHLers, McBain is intent on taking the increasingly popular route of staying in Tier II before moving to the NCAA for the 2018-19 season. Would benefit greatly from a step-up in competition this season.

8.) Joel Farabee, LW, 6-foot, 165 pounds (USNTDP): Fine skater with excellent vision. Has risen steadily since the U-18‘s in April. Has two older brothers playing collegiately, and has thrived as a result of sibling competition.

9.) Rasmus Kupari, C, 5-foot-11, 163 pounds (Karpat, Liiga): Highly skilled, soft hands, top-six forward material. Inconsistent production and effort are reasons for concern.

10.) Jared McIsaac, D, 6-foot-1, 194 pounds (Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL): The second overall pick in the 2016 QMJHL draft continues to add to an already impressive resume as Canada’s most consistent blueliner on the Ivan Hlinka gold medal-winning team.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It’s not like they don’t need the scoring.

Please tell us all about who we should draft and how we’re all so dumb for wanting defense over Nylander. He’s really helping the team with scoring. We’re so lucky we didn’t fill our biggest need that year.

Looking forward to a year of nonsensical posts from you about how dumb we all are for wanting to draft defense in the first.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
One move... exactly one move that many of us called for reshapes the Sabres situation completely.

Imagine Murray takes Sergachev or McAvoy instead of Nylander. Instead of trying to find that second core defenseman to go with Ristolainen, Botterill probably has to make a silly overpayment to get someone like Trouba to fill the need.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I enjoy being attacked for being right. Oh no they took skilled forwards the last two years. And why would they do that when they clearly have so much offensive talent on the roster right now!

Oh wait...they don’t. They desperately need speed and skill up front. But people’s impatience and ignorance about player development makes them so mad that they don’t have their cake now.

Yeah...they still need speed and skill up front. They have three guys worth caring about in the pipeline. Nylander, Mittelstaft and Asplund. GUESS WHERE THEY WERE DRAFTED.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I enjoy being attacked for being right. Oh no they took skilled forwards the last two years. And why would they do that when they clearly have so much offensive talent on the roster right now!

Oh wait...they don’t. They desperately need speed and skill up front. But people’s impatience and ignorance about player development makes them so mad that they don’t have their cake now.

Yeah...they still need speed and skill up front. They have three guys worth caring about in the pipeline. Nylander, Mittelstaft and Asplund. GUESS WHERE THEY WERE DRAFTED.

Ah, a response. Finally.

The defense is even more of a crapshow than the forwards. Let me check something.

Future #1 D for the Bruins: 4 games, 1 goal, 2 assists.
Future top 2 D for the Lightning: 5 games, 2 assists.

It's a comparison with Nylander. Asplund wasn't a consideration at 8. Mittelstadt wasn't even in that draft.

You said no defender was worth the 8th pick in 2016. Seems like you may want to reconsider.

Or just drop the arrogance.

Either works.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Your consistently ignorant opinions continue to be breathtaking.

A lot of Sabres fans don't seem to fully understand the role or importance of a defenseman on a team.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I can't ****ing wait to be screwed over by this bull**** lottery system and get to see them take another poggybait winger in the 5-7 range.

This is how I feel. However, Mittelstadt looks like a top 3 prospect out of the crop of last year. So it's completely possible that you can forget about that. In terms of quality, this draft is much better 1-10 than the crop of last years talent. A lot of better high premium defensive prospects as well.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
This draft is loaded with undersized puck moving defenders. Boqvist, Hughes, Merkley, Smith.

For bigger defenders, Wilde and McIsaac are available.

Woo and Samuelsson are there for a defensive anchor.

All around defenders are available with either Bouchard and Miller.

Lots to choose from.

Reactions: Chainshot

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
This draft is loaded with undersized puck moving defenders... Lots to choose from.
We've gotta stay a step ahead, then. Go for the biggest, meanest, average-skatingest, or shot blockingest Gorgesian defensemen you can find, because the next crop of forwards will be developed to take advantage of smart, smaller puckmoving D.

Reactions: HaNotsri

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
I realize Buffalo needs D badly, but imagine if they draft Svechnikov... Eichel+Svech would be the deadliest combo in NHL for years...

Reactions: 1972

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Took my first spin on tankathon.com

We dropped three spots, of course, from #3 to #6, and Chicago jumped from #11 to #1. Called it a day at that point.

I realize Buffalo needs D badly, but imagine if they draft Svechnikov... Eichel+Svech would be the deadliest combo in NHL for years...

Pssssshhhh, HF would vote it well behind Matthews-Marner, Matthews-Nylander, and Marner-Nylander.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Took my first spin on tankathon.com

We dropped three spots, of course, from #3 to #6, and Chicago jumped from #11 to #1. Called it a day at that point.

Pssssshhhh, HF would vote it well behind Matthews-Marner, Matthews-Nylander, and Marner-Nylander.

You're forgetting about whomever Toronto draft 20+ spots after the Sabres.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Seems like their are plenty of good Dmen available who fit the style the NHL is trending. Good mobile puck movers.

I would love to see us pick one up in the top 10, and again with hopefully a pick from Kane.

But Svechnikov would be to good to pass up if we had the chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad