Draft Results up for Rounds 4 and 5

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Check them out in the Yahoo group files... thanks, Matt! Two more to go!! :D

Columbus traded their 3rd 2007 to New Jersey for four day 2 picks, with which we selected:

4/98: RW Robin Figren (taken 3/70 by NYI)
4/118: LW Constantin Braun (taken 6/164 by LAK)
5/146 G Kris Lazaruk (not drafted)
5/148 D Cameron Cepek (taken 7/199 by MTL)

Very pleased with those results, NHL draft position notwithstanding. Some scouts had Lazaruk ahead of many goalies who ended up getting drafted in the first two rounds. He may be a bit of a project, but is very athletic and has the work ethic to improve his skills over time. I look forward to teams fighting to draft him next year. ;)

Figren adds to my stable of quality two-way forward prospects - I like his non-stop energy. Braun is a banger with skill - a darkhorse who I believe projects at minimum as a third-liner who can hit and contribute, but has the potential to develop into a scoring-line winger. Cepek fell on draft day due to a broken wrist that shortened his season, but he's got good offensive instincts and is tough as nails to boot - will clear the crease and drop the gloves. I think he was considered a third-rounder in RLR's rankigns. He came late to hockey on ice (he's a California native, so for a number of years hockey was something you played on wheels...) but he has the right attitude, and is also considered a good leader. Hopefully Montreal got an even better steal than I did with that pick. ;)

Look for another goalie for Columbus late in the 7th.

(***EDIT: Didn't realize I'd done this, since I was working off of multiple scouting reports, but all four of my Day 2 picks are on the same page of the RLR draft rankings: Cepek #66, Braun #67, Figren #68, and Lazaruk #71. Weird. He had good things to say, though. :) )

Last edited:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I'm very happy with my round 4-5 selections.

4/102 - D Kiril Tulupov (taken 3/67 by NJ)
5/128 - G Michael Neuvirth (taken 2/34 by WASH)
5/129 - F Kaspars Daugavins (3/91 by OTT)
5/132 - F Nick Dodge (taken 6/183 by CAR)

All three of those europeans were selected high in todays CHL Import draft as well, which means they are likely headed to the CHL where it will be easier to keep an eye on them. And Dodge is someone I see a future Hobey Baker finalist.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Ugh.. it sucks having to wait until the 7th round to have more picks... lol... oh well.. at least some of the players at the top of my list are still available!!

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Well, unlike the rest of the happy people in the village, I'm absolutely sick over passing on Luttinen in the 3rd round with my 2nd 3rd rounder late in that round, having convinced myself I'd be safe getting him in the 4th round. Obviously I didn't consider there are a number of Sens fans in our midst who are also tracking some of the off-season signings as much as I am. I really wanted Luttinen more than any player in the 3rd round but figured I could have my cake and eat it to. Nice pick Laurens. :cry:

That said, I am happy to get Seppanen and Mursak in the 4th and 5th round, respectively. Nice to see Mursak go early in the CHL Import draft to Saginaw today. That bodes well in terms of at least figuring out whether he is a legit scoring talent or not. Half the problem with drafting European players is trying to figure out how they are doing - sometimes it takes years. Not such problem in the OHL directly against his peers.

But something tells me I'll regret the Luttinen pass in the 3rd for a long time. I deliberated over it for a while and decided to roll the dice. A not so worthwhile risk at it turns out. We'll see just how bad a mistake that becomes.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Only one pick for the Rangers in this portion of the draft (4/99). That was used to select F Ryan Flynn (taken 6/176 by NSH). I'm a bit surprised he lasted until the 6th round in the NHL draft, but he was the top player on my list so I'm happy. Looking forward to seeing how he develops at U. of Minn. next season.

Now I have to wait for my two 7th rounders to finish out the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad