Draft Pick Push

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Doesn't hurt to hope.

Not sure how the tie breaker works but Ottawa would need to go 3-0-1(with no S/O wins) in their next 4 games to tie us, then would have to get more points in 7 games compared to 10 games for us

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Not sure how the tie breaker works but Ottawa would need to go 3-0-1(with no S/O wins) in their next 4 games to tie us, then would have to get more points in 7 games compared to 10 games for us

I doubt it will happen, like I said, more of hope. It's not like this year has been "normal". Who would have thought 10 games ago the Rangers had any chance of catching us with a home and home with Montreal on the horizons.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Ottawa is not catching us
If in their remaining games the Isles and OTT repeat their records over the past 10 games, then Ottawa could finish ahead of us. But yes, unlikely.

Last edited:

KidThatWonTheCalder

Artist Formerly Known as IslesandHawks
Jun 16, 2011
Regardless of where we end up, we still have two lottery picks... Couldn't we just flip the higher of the two firsts+our two 2nds (add something if needed) to get to Dahlin, then trade out of the lower pick and swap firsts+at least a 2nd with some team in the 20s? This way we recoup at least one of the seconds we gave up to get Dahlin?

Idk how deep the draft is this year, but it seems like we should just be trying whatever we can to get Dahlin and fix a glaring weakness of ours... Just spitballin' here lol

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Regardless of where we end up, we still have two lottery picks... Couldn't we just flip the higher of the two firsts+our two 2nds (add something if needed) to get to Dahlin, then trade out of the lower pick and swap firsts+at least a 2nd with some team in the 20s? This way we recoup at least one of the seconds we gave up to get Dahlin?

Idk how deep the draft is this year, but it seems like we should just be trying whatever we can to get Dahlin and fix a glaring weakness of ours... Just spitballin' here lol

Apparently the cost would be like 5 1st rounders. I asked about it awhile back with the 2 1sts and the 2 2nds and was told "not even close".

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Apparently the cost would be like 5 1st rounders. I asked about it awhile back with the 2 1sts and the 2 2nds and was told "not even close".

I think it depends where the picks are. My guess is 9th and 12 won't get us 1St, but maybe 3rd or 4th. I am guessing if Calgary's pick got us into the top 3, that pick and the 10th pick wouldn't be enough to get us 1st either

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I think it depends where the picks are. My guess is 9th and 12 won't get us 1St, but maybe 3rd or 4th. I am guessing if Calgary's pick got us into the top 3, that pick and the 10th pick wouldn't be enough to get us 1st either

I really wonder what Arizona's GM would think about the chance at 5 picks in the top 50 (our four plus their 2nd). I would seriously think about it personally.

The other thing we forget is who will win the lottery. The only teams I could think of is Carolina or Arizona. The good thing if Carolina wins is maybe we can grab a player like Faulk instead.

I see no way the Rangers, Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, Edmonton, Montreal, Dallas, Vancouver, Florida, Flyers, or Dallas would trade him.

Arizona is only at a 12% chance at the moment btw at picking 1OA

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I really wonder what Arizona's GM would think about the chance at 5 picks in the top 50 (our four plus their 2nd). I would seriously think about it personally.
1OA

If the isles had the first pick I would not consider this package .
2 mid firsts Bailey and Pulock . 3 seconds Hamonic, mayfield and let's just say Brock Nelson ( I know he was a first ). Nope not winning anything with these guys. It would take high pick or picks plus a talent . Barzal is the only one we have that a rebuilding team like Arizona would want in this trade . You know what, if you offered Barzal for the number 1 pick I would say it will be our pick. Nothing else needed.
Just my take

Cheers

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
If the Rags or Carolina could somehow put in an end of year push, i wonder if they could catch the Flames...highly unlucky but man, they are in a bigger tailspin than us...

Reactions: MattBarzal

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Flames still doing thier job!! Another shutout loss!! Hamonic looking out. Once and islander always an islander!
That was the nail in the coffin for them. Wasn't going to root for them but wasn't rooting against them but at this point that puts them 8 points out I'll watch for them to lose now. Feels weird but whatever, don't like rooting against Hammer but putting them to 11 instead of 13/14 would be nice.

Reactions: periferal and SI90

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
You all know what’s going to happen. The islanders are going to win out the season, miss the playoffs by one win and save everyone’s jobs. Ah shucks, just missed; well, there’s always next year.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
That was the nail in the coffin for them. Wasn't going to root for them but wasn't rooting against them but at this point that puts them 8 points out I'll watch for them to lose now. Feels weird but whatever, don't like rooting against Hammer but putting them to 11 instead of 13/14 would be nice.

They have a 2% chance to make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad