Draft order released...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rupispupis

Apr 26, 2004
Can some one explain to me how SJ can get a comp pick for losing Mark Messier?
They pulled the same **** with Theo Fleury a couple of years ago. How do they do it?

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
rupispupis said:
Can some one explain to me how SJ can get a comp pick for losing Mark Messier?
They pulled the same **** with Theo Fleury a couple of years ago. How do they do it?

San Jose loses Mark Messier? Theo Fleury? You are on crack, or I am...

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Ok, here's how it is.

Compensatory picks are only handed out if a player is lost AND a player of similar calibur is not signed. NYR sends Messier to SJ for a late pick. SJ has his rights just before he becomes a UFA. Therefore, the compensatory pick is handed out to SJ.

So the trade helps both teams. NYR gets a late pick that they wouldn't have gotten, and SJ trades that late pick for a higher compensatory pick.

rupispupis

Apr 26, 2004
Pens4ever said:
Ok, here's how it is.

Compensatory picks are only handed out if a player is lost AND a player of similar calibur is not signed. NYR sends Messier to SJ for a late pick. SJ has his rights just before he becomes a UFA. Therefore, the compensatory pick is handed out to SJ.

So the trade helps both teams. NYR gets a late pick that they wouldn't have gotten, and SJ trades that late pick for a higher compensatory pick.

So what's in it for NYR. They get a later pick, rather than a higher comp pick they would have received for him.

Markov, you are on crack, but that's ok cause I'm smoking that pipe too. Whatever the deal is, seems alittle SCAMmish to me.

P.S. - When I referred to Fleury... A couple of years ago when he left Rangers and signed with Hawks, SJ got a comp pick for losing him. I was like WTF? They must have aquired his rights and then let him become a FA.

ORBluesFan

Jul 31, 2003
Portland, OR
rupispupis said:
So what's in it for NYR. They get a later pick, rather than a higher comp pick they would have received for him.

Not if they "resign" him. If the Rangers held Messier and Leetch past July 1 and then resigned them, no compensation is issued by the league. However, if they are "intending" on resigning a player after July 1, they move the rights for a low pick to a team that won't sign him, and the team that "loses" the rights (San Jose and Edmonton here) get a comp pick assuming they don't sign someone at a similar price. It's working the system, but it's been going on since they added in comp picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad