Draft on 7/30? And what about TV in the states?

Status
Not open for further replies.

no Gino

May 16, 2005
vespajet said:
I wonder if TNT is still interested in the NHL, especially since the NBA lockout never materialized?

If ESPN does decide to broadcast NHL games, I'm willing to bet that the deal will be similar to the deal the NHL signed with NBC.

The NHL would be better served if they didn't return to ESPN. ESPN started to treat them like a redheaded stepchild once ESPN/ABC got the main NBA contract. Considering how much of a staple the NHL was on ESPN in the 1990s, it was a slap in the face. I'd honestly rather see the NHL on Spike TV than I would on ESPN or ESPN2.

ESPN has said they will only revive their interest in the NHL if there is shared responsibilty for financial losses.

bearcat11

Mar 14, 2005
Nova Scotia
What's the point of them not opening it to the public, and only inviting the top 15-20 prospects to attend? I figured the draft would be a good way to get people interested again, and this doesn't seem like a really logical way of doing it.

Cat Called Bobcat

Dec 3, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
bearcat11 said:
What's the point of them not opening it to the public, and only inviting the top 15-20 prospects to attend? I figured the draft would be a good way to get people interested again, and this doesn't seem like a really logical way of doing it.

I understand the logistics problems with inviting more than the top bunch of prospects, but I totally agree with your point about not opening it to the public. As an Ottawa resident, I'm pretty angry, actually. We've waited more than a decade to hold a marquee NHL event, watched while other expansion franchises get their draft and their all-star game, and then when we finally get the chance to put on a show, the people of the city don't even get to participate.

If this means Ottawa won't get to host another draft for god knows how long, I would have preferred the draft to have taken place in NY or Toronto this year and have Ottawa get the opportunity to host a full-blown draft in 2008 or later.

/end rant

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
bearcat11 said:

From what I hear, it isn't even going to be a full scale event for the teams either. We will just say it is a rumor at this point, but one distinct possibility is that each team will only have one representative present and the full table set up that we see each year won't be there (not on-site anyways)...it will look a lot like the NFL draft, where each team has their "war room" set up in their own city, and they just call in their picks. The team rep. that will be there may only be there for decoration for the first round pick too....and they may even bolt after the first round, with all of the subsequent picks being made by calls/computers off-site. So if that happens we can certainly expect that IF we even get TV it won't be anything past the 1st round if that, since there won't even be anything to show.

bearcat11

Mar 14, 2005
Nova Scotia
Yeah I understand the plans, I just don't understand why it's necessary to scale the event down so much. I always thought the NHL would want to make this a very public friendly event to try and boost some interest back into the game.

MattintheHatt

May 31, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm somewhere between Salt Lake City and Vegas the day of the draft...stupid all day driving in motorhome travel days...I hope they replay it at night:D

bit82

Jul 12, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
vespajet said:
The NHL would be better served if they didn't return to ESPN. ESPN started to treat them like a redheaded stepchild once ESPN/ABC got the main NBA contract. Considering how much of a staple the NHL was on ESPN in the 1990s, it was a slap in the face. I'd honestly rather see the NHL on Spike TV than I would on ESPN or ESPN2.

i agree with everything there. Once ESPN got the NBA, NHL was nothing to them. NHL2Night went from beign on almost every night to being on once or twice a week after a game that was on a tuesday or wednesday night from 7-10.And for thedraft being shown on TV in the US, ESPN2 always shows it. They have that combined coverage with TSN for the first round only on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad