Draft now of less importance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artie

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal, Que
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
All this to say, the key to success IMO remains all-around good management.

Draft well, assemble well, build a system, good trades, solid signings, solid performances. Success breeds success.

Shouldn't that have been the mantra before?

Unfortunately some teams chose to operate differently because they believed that was the way to success and in so doing they changed the playing field. Detroit's Mike Ilitch was quoted as saying that he'd probably have to hire 25 more scouts to scour the world in this new environment.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
I think the "lesser importance" of the draft will be felt most by the players themselves. It's not going to matter so much what round they get picked in - they're still going to get hosed, no matter if you're the 2nd pick overall or the 100th overall. And even worse.....those later round picks - IF they ever make it to The Show - could end up with way more than they're worth due to the increase of min. salary to $450k.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we see more players refuse to sign as prospects with the team they were drafted by. What if you really don't WANT to freaking play in North Carolina??? And to potentially be stuck there for 4 years? or 7? Uhmm....no thanks, if it were me, I'd seriously have to consider hauling my ass to Euro-land, thank you very much.....

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
You sure of that? Not saying you are wrong, but it can go many ways.

This cap environment, it will mean for certain (not all) players that they could be "contender hunting". The difference between salaries are slimmer, the number of teams who can afford FAs is presumably larger.

I think discout deals will go to perceived powerhouses of the momeent (whatever team is perceived as hot by the players) much more often than not. In effect, what we have seen the girlfriends Kariya and Selanne do, we can expect much more often IMHO.

All this to say, the key to success IMO remains all-around good management.

Draft well, assemble well, build a system, good trades, solid signings, solid performances. Success breeds success.

yeah but my point still basically applies...if you get a discount for being a powerhouse wouldn't you get that discount from the guy already on your team looking to resign just as likely as from a guy on another team that has no connection to your organization??

teams will no doubt lose guys they draft after 7 years because thats what happens when guys become ufas, some change teams. but to imply that the draft doesn't matter and you can just let another team develop the kids and then steal them at 25 simply isn't true (or atleast is an exageration).

lets look at rick nash for example, columbus could potentially lose him at age 25. well if they offer him the 20% max and he still bolts does anyone thing that they would have had an equal or better chance of signing him if he was playing in florida the first 7 years of his career?? (and not to mention that this after you get 7 allstar seasons out of him)...

i'll believe the draft doesn't matter when 1)guys between 18-25 like nash and kovalchuk stop being top players in the league at a young age and 2)when i see players bolting to teams that wouldn't be able to hold onto their own guys

and this is only focusing on the top end elite guys...under a cap you have to cut cost somewhere and the most likely place will be role players (the top end guys will get their $$) and the easiest cheapest way to get talent is thru the draft. so you might be able to steal some elite talent thru the draft but imo the teams that can produce quality role players and insert them for cheap will be ahead of the game cause it'll free up cap room for other moves.

so the importance of the draft might change but imo its still important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->