Draft, Muckler says BOG favour 30 balls in a bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
GregStack said:
I'm almost certain that nobody has. I know Toronto has not.

I believe every team has their own first round pick. I do know that the Capitals got Ottawa's 2nd rounder in the Bondra trade. I also believe the Caps traded their 3rd this year to Dallas for Dallas's 3rd round last year and pick Clayton Barthel.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Jaded-Fan said:
As for the draft lottery, there was all sorts of talk after the meeting about a stormy debate on how best to proceed. In actual fact, one NHL GM made an impassioned plea to do the lottery one way but before any debate could take place, Bettman shut it down.

He basically told the GMs how it was going to be. It will be a weighted lottery. The teams that have missed the playoffs for the last three or four years will have a better chance to get the first pick overall, but all 30 teams will be in the running.

Non-playoff entities like Columbus and the New York Rangers will have a better chance of winning the lottery than, say, Detroit or Colorado, but everyone will have some shot at the top pick. And keep in mind, as good a chance as a team like Columbus may have compared to a team like Detroit, the field has a better chance of winning than the franchise that gets weighted as No. 1.

The NHL hasn't decided yet when to conduct the lottery -- it could happen before the lockout is over; it could be put off until a new CBA is in place -- but two things we do know. Whichever team gets the first pick overall won't pick again until No. 60, and the team that gets the 30th pick will pick again at 31. Also, all traded or transferred draft choices will be in effect for the next draft, so if your favourite team traded away its first-round pick in 2005, kiss Sidney goodbye right now -- even if your team wins the lottery.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=120872&hubName=nhl
And that's how it should be

Sorry, as much as the pundits want to call this "unusual", we should be doing the draft as if it were a usual year.

Should we punish the Nashvilles, Atlantas, Columbuses, and Wild who are still building with the draft because Mr. Toronto & Montreal think it's better for the game to have the Sid suit up for them? No.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Jaded-Fan said:
As for the draft lottery, there was all sorts of talk after the meeting about a stormy debate on how best to proceed. In actual fact, one NHL GM made an impassioned plea to do the lottery one way but before any debate could take place, Bettman shut it down.

He basically told the GMs how it was going to be. It will be a weighted lottery. The teams that have missed the playoffs for the last three or four years will have a better chance to get the first pick overall, but all 30 teams will be in the running.
Weighted only means more opportunities ..

For all we know the NHL could look at the last 4 years and determine the teams that have missed the playoffs the most and award them 2 balls each, and then the remaining 16 playoff teams each one ball in the lottery ..

That is still weighted ... and quite fitting as Bettman certainly has the big market teams by the proverbial balls .. So to speak ..

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
Of course most of the GMs would prefer a non-weighted system in which every team has a shot at Crosby! That doesn't mean it would be fair, neither does it mean that it is what Bettman will ulitmately use. A weighted system gives about 5 teams a decent shot at the pick.

Every GM, owner, and fan will express their opinion in accordance with their own selfish wishes, including me. I want a weighted system in accordance with the record of up to the last 4 seasons. That would put the Rangers at #5. Why would I want to give every team an equal chance and take odds away from my team?

Then again, if I had to choose between getting Crosby and Dolan selling the team, I would definitely say that the latter would do more good for my team in the long run! :biglaugh:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
this is all about crosby - right? why not have a separate draft for the no.1 pick - then another system for the rest? give everyone a shot at crosby - then do something like the 2-10, 11-20,21-30 lottery - base it off however many years you like. i dont mind being a crappy team (canes) and not getting crosby. what i mind is being dropped all the way to 30 because everyone wants a shot at crosby. is there anyone that thinks that 7 or 8 of the top 10 in the last draft wont be right back there this year? how is it fair that they get sent out of the top ten when they need the talent the most? i use my team as an example but others apply as well. eveyone knows that while a new system will create a shift in powers to an extent - very few from the bottom are going to just spring right up 10 spots.

again, not against everyone having a shot for crosby - just against the crappy teams dropping to 30. their should be a restraint on how far you can drop.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't care how they do it as long as the rangers get crosby :D

or failing that, brule or johnson

;)

and i can live with allegations of "cheating" to get the pick... ;)

LaBomba

Dec 29, 2003
Should the NHL reward teams that draft poorly (ie. Rangers) and make horrible free agent signings? Rangers already were 'rewarded' for a miserable year in the 2004 draft. I can appreciate newer teams that are still building getting dibs, but I don't think incompetence should be rewarded :teach:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Don't we live in a Democracy ..??

Isn't Gary Bettman employed by the NHL owners ???...

If 20 of the 30 NHL team Owners voted for a equal 1-30 chance for all, why would or should Bettman do it any other way, again focussing on the fact that he works for them .... NO ????

Even if the 16 playoff teams voted yes and the 14 non-playoff voted no, you still would have a majority vote in favour.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
No, read again. I claim that someone has to be full of it as the two stories are diametrically opposed. I fully admit that I have no clue who. Though I can speculate, because the one is linked and was reported in at least 100 papers that one has a greater possibility of bearing out, merely for the reason that I can at least find a link to that version. 100 links actually.
How else do you interpret your words:

1) All of these are linked to articles, and all contradict what you are reporting and which can not be linked because it was a supposed radio interview.

2) How do we know that Muckler said any such thing? Because some yahoo supposedly heard it on the radio . . . which conveniently can not be linked? Someone is lying though.

All I ever did was repeat what Muckler said. You're clinging to a rumour that requires people to read between the lines (your words).

Anyway, this is going nowhere.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Jaded-Fan said:
No, read again. I claim that someone has to be full of it as the two stories are diametrically opposed. I fully admit that I have no clue who. Though I can speculate, because the one is linked and was reported in at least 100 papers that one has a greater possibility of bearing out, merely for the reason that I can at least find a link to that version. 100 links actually.

Yup. I fully expect that this Muckler crap is simply some folks with poor comprehension skills. I'll bet Muckler said something like "All teams will have a chance for the first overall pick", and some folks with wishful thinking heard that as "all teams will have *equal* chance for the first pick".

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Don't we live in a Democracy ..??

Isn't Gary Bettman employed by the NHL owners ???...

If 20 of the 30 NHL team Owners voted for a equal 1-30 chance for all, why would or should Bettman do it any other way, again focussing on the fact that he works for them .... NO ????

Even if the 16 playoff teams voted yes and the 14 non-playoff voted no, you still would have a majority vote in favour.

of course the owners are 20/30 for it. 20 guys who want a shot at a top 10 spot in a draft they feel is equal in the 10-30 slots. just because those guys are in favor of it doesnt make it right. they got a majority vote in ratifying the last cba as well - didnt make them right then.

jacketracket*

I'm all for the 30-ball, equally-weighted option. As a CBJ fan, I tend to agree that their last season of on-ice ineptitude has already been rewarded, in terms of draft positioning.

That said, I wouldn't be terribly upset if the league went with a weighted system, based on the last 4 season's results. :)

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
I'd love for this to happen. Can just imagine the outrage if a big market, "southern" team like Dallas lucked out and won it ;)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
bleedgreen said:
of course the owners are 20/30 for it. 20 guys who want a shot at a top 10 spot in a draft they feel is equal in the 10-30 slots. just because those guys are in favor of it doesnt make it right. they got a majority vote in ratifying the last cba as well - didnt make them right then.
But that is how a Democracy works ... Majority rules .

If Bettman sticks his neck out too far .. some owners are going to start losing patience with him and ask for his Head on a Platter ..

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The Messenger said:
But that is how a Democracy works ... Majority rules .

If Bettman sticks his neck out too far .. some owners are going to start losing patience with him and ask for his Head on a Platter ..
i think if they are still with him after a year of this crap - the draft isnt going to be the straw that broke the jackass's back here. majority rules because it favors them - still doesnt make it right. at one point, majority rules said that montreal got first choice on all quebec born players.

LaBomba

Dec 29, 2003
PecaFan said:
Yup. I fully expect that this Muckler crap is simply some folks with poor comprehension skills. I'll bet Muckler said something like "All teams will have a chance for the first overall pick", and some folks with wishful thinking heard that as "all teams will have *equal* chance for the first pick".
As plain as english can be...muckler said that 30 balls going into a drum was the majority consensus. No misinterpretation. No radio fading out missing part of the conversation.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
The one team that could win out huge in a 4 year historically weighted system is Atlanta. They are a team that has shed the shackles of their bottom-feeder years, and if there was a season, with Heatley playing the entire year, would be able to challenge for a division title. Yet, with a 4 year system, they would be a team with a high likelihood of landing Crosby.

The prospect of Heatley-Crosby-Kovalchuk playing together over the years becomes scary. :eek:

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
Should the NHL reward teams that draft poorly (ie. Rangers) and make horrible free agent signings? Rangers already were 'rewarded' for a miserable year in the 2004 draft. I can appreciate newer teams that are still building getting dibs, but I don't think incompetence should be rewarded

The purpose of the draft is to reward incompetence. Whether it be in scouting or ownership. If you're not rewarded incompetence, then give tampa the first pick....

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
bleedgreen said:
i think if they are still with him after a year of this crap - the draft isnt going to be the straw that broke the jackass's back here. majority rules because it favors them - still doesnt make it right. at one point, majority rules said that montreal got first choice on all quebec born players.
What are you suggesting now .. a weighted vote among the 30 owners ??

I like to see you get that passed the BOG..

If Bettman brought the owners a NHLPA CBA proposal to vote on and the majority said yes then we would have a new CBA and Hockey ..

Why the need for a new set of rules for the draft, since the draft itself is defined and only a small part of the CBA itself ..

So if Majority rules on the whole of the CBA, then I see no reason why a part of it would be any different.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Now would be a good time for them to change the draft age to 19. That would solve all the problems that are going to come with holding a draft after a non-season.

Not to mention it would be better anyway, both for marketing and accuracy. Not much interest in the NHL draft when most players aren't going to play in the league for 3-5 years anyway. Having it at 19 would allow them to market the draft better because half of the first round is probably going to be in the league sooner. None of these guys enter the league at 18 anyway, so won't hurt the players or the teams if they move it to 19.

spokedB44

Feb 18, 2005
Beantown
I argue thats it not great for the league if Crosby ends up in Canada, or any of the Original Six teams. The league is waiting for the chance to market this kid as the future of the league and what good would it be if he ended up in Toronto or Boston? Those cities love hockey already.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The Messenger said:
W
Why the need for a new set of rules for the draft, since the draft itself is defined and only a small part of the CBA itself ..
isnt 30 balls in a bin a new set of rules for the draft? im not sure why we're argueing. i agree that its probably going to go your way - all im saying that its unfair that teams in the top 10 can drop to the bottom ten when no one thinks they belong there. this is supposed to be about crosby - but it isnt. all the gms on the lower end of the draft are seeing the crosby fuss and using it to hopefully get a top 10 spot. for good teams its a free chance at a draft spot they havent seen in years and dont intend to for a while. let eveyone have an equal shot at crosby - thats fine - just dont take away prospects from the teams that need them the most.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
discostu said:
The prospect of Heatley-Crosby-Kovalchuk playing together over the years becomes scary. :eek:

That could be the kind of kick in the pants the game of hockey needs to bring offence back in vogue. Together, they would put some points on the board.

LaBomba

Dec 29, 2003
tampa is a case in point. Who says that Columbus or Atlanta couldn't have won the cup last year? Tampa did it...
One 2004 first rounder is plenty for doing lousy in the previous year. A second first rounder for sucking is ridiculous. Sens top 2 lines
Havlat - Crosby - Hossa
Alfie - Spezza - Neil

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
discostu said:
The one team that could win out huge in a 4 year historically weighted system is Atlanta. They are a team that has shed the shackles of their bottom-feeder years, and if there was a season, with Heatley playing the entire year, would be able to challenge for a division title. Yet, with a 4 year system, they would be a team with a high likelihood of landing Crosby.

Enjoy that for just a few years though .. because with Bettman's restrictive hard cap and the expected development of those 3 players it will not take long before Atlanta will not be able to keep them together in a Cap World .. Add to that Lehtonen and soon the vultures will be drooling to see which one gets set free first .. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->